• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to prepare mint condition comics for sale?

17 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

Complete newb here and first post.

I am in Melbourne Australia and my brother in law has given me 35x near mint Conan Dark Horse Comics boarded in plastic, The Hate Witch Kull, and a couple Dejah Thoris and the white apes from mars comics.

I am trying to get a legitimate value for them which is hard using only comic price guide and not knowing what to rate the comic.. Also would any of these or all be worth being graded to sell?

I also considered trying to find the missing ones to make the set if it was worthwhile?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The list of what I have is as follows:

- CONAN #0-#26 

- KING CONAN #4

- CONAN THE BARBARIAN THE MASK OF ACHERON 

- CONAN AND THE DAUGHTERS OF MIDORA

- CONAN THE CIMMERIAN #0,#8

- CONAN THE BARBARIAN #6,#9,#10

- THE HATE WITCH KULL #1,#2,#3 AND A different second #1

- DEJAH THORIS AND THE WHITE APES OF MARS #1,#2

Edited by Super_Dave33

Welcome!

As far what condition the comics are in, there's a "Can you Spare a Grade" forum. Read the sticky and it will explain what to do

Generally, aside from  a few issues of the 70's Conan series, I don't think they go for much to be worth slabbing.     You can check Ebay sold listing or what's curr being sold to get an idea.  Sites like goCollect.com can show you value estimates or even if they don't list one you can see how many sales are occurring for an issue

Posting full-front and full-back cover photos in this sub-forum (1 comic book per topic and 3 topics per day) will give you a decent idea of what condition/grade each comic is in:

Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?

I understand that this process would be long and difficult, but nothing in life is earned easily.

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Posting full-front and full-back cover photos in this sub-forum (1 comic book per topic and 3 topics per day) will give you a decent idea of what condition/grade each comic is in:

Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?

I understand that this process would be long and difficult, but nothing in life is earned easily.

I agree.

And personally, you should check out sites like GPA and Gocollect to give you an idea of pricing.

When an upgraded copy comes your way and someone says near mint, that is not neccesarily the views of CGC.

For instance a book could be graded from CGC and have a value of

9.4=$100

9.6= $125

9.8=$230 near mint

9.9=$2100 gem mint

10=? Mint

So the value of something ascends astronomically in as little as .1 of a grade.

These are all dark horse? Even in mint condition, raw, it is unlikely any of those books fetch more than cover price and, in reality, likely less. Slabbing them is a waste of time as slab sales barely exceed the cost of slabbing. Just look up completed ebay sales for "conan cgc 9.8 dark horse".  Only a few issues break $25.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

These are all dark horse? Even in mint condition, raw, it is unlikely any of those books fetch more than cover price and, in reality, likely less. Slabbing them is a waste of time as slab sales barely exceed the cost of slabbing. Just look up completed ebay sales for "conan cgc 9.8 dark horse".  Only a few issues break $25.

Makes sense.... I agree

I should have done my research on dark horse comics before I responded.

I would say any comic in 9.8 that is valued at $100 or less is pretty much covering grading costs, shipping and handling ect ect.

I'm not sure if its been noted yet, but selling from Australia also likely lowers the achievable prices you may be able to realize due to shipping, customs, exchange rates (and associated fees), etc.  Also makes it way more expensive to slab.  So almost certainly not worth it.  You can look on ebay for 'sold' prices for the things you have.

Alternatively, you might think locals might pay more for local comics since they don't have to pay for shipping or exchange or customs, etc.  But that market is extremely limited (for non-key comics, which is what you have) for those who would be interested, and even less for those interested who are fans BUT DON'T ALREADY HAVE THOSE COMICS.  So that's gonna be tough.

As stated somewhere above, post some pictures on your local craigslist equivalent and sell the whole lot for $20USD (not sure about the AUS equivalent), but you get the point.

*Also I have no idea how Australian taxes work, but it might be easier and/or worth it to just go donate them to charity and get some type of tax deduction (face value?)

Edited by revat

Remember, "mint condition" does not mean much on these new books, even if you are right and they would grade out as 9.8s. The bulk of these books were bagged and boarded and should be in the 9.6-9.8 range.