• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please allow me to rant
2 2

46 posts in this topic

I've had mixed results buying raw from Metro, but have learned to check books carefully and immediately. 

Among the problems I have run into are undisclosed brittle pages (and I'm not talking borderline slightly brittle) and underreported restoration (how can one notice some glue at the staple, and completely miss the major amateur color touch along the entire spine?) 

I rarely buy raw from them anymore as a result of these incidences being more frequent than I'd expect, even considering large volume dealers can often miss things. 

Not at least putting a Qualified in front of a grade on books with clipped coupons, panels and missing pages is bad practice even if the defects are listed. It's not just a problem with Metro. Unfortunately, I've hastily pulled the trigger on a few ebay books over the years that didn't mention these types of problems in the initial grade, but towards the end of an overly long description. 

I haven't entirely boycotted buying raw from Metro as the books that haven't had fairly obvious issues, have been pretty accurate as to their grades, but I definitely check them over when I do, and pretty much limit purchases to something I've had trouble finding elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I was actually surprised that the Shock Suspenstories #13 and Crime Suspenstories #15 I bought from them both came back from CGC graded higher than advertised.

Unfortunately BOTH also came back as restored with CT. :tonofbricks:

:facepalm:

43 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

That's the problem, because I didn't catch the restoration - and CGC took five months to grade the comics - I am well outside the 30 day window. And not sure I actually want store credit...

Yeah, you're in a catch-22 but wouldn't you expect a dealer like Metro would be able to detect restoration and offer a longer guarantee.  I understand the other side as well in that the buyer could have done something to a book(s).  HA is the same way or at least was.  I received a book from HA that had the cover glossed which was not disclosed in the listing.  I called them and they assured me all of their books had been thoroughly checked and if there was restoration, it would have identified. 

I called Matt Nelson - this was when he had Classics, Inc.  He confirmed it had been glossed and I returned it within the 30 day window.  It was book I really wanted - National 18.  I had/have a copy but it too is restored so I had hoped to get an unrestored copy.  Outside of the somewhat defensive attitude of HA, I really think there should be a longer window or I would even accept sending it back and letting them submit.  If it comes back restored, they eat the cost, if not, I pay all the costs.

Edited by telerites

4 hours ago, telerites said:

From Metro - Look at the last line of the Unrestored Guarantee. 

OUR RETURN POLICY: We're certain you'll be happy with your merchandise. We take extra care to fully describe our items, including any flaws. If you have any questions regarding any of the items you are ordering, please email us at: orders@metropoliscomics.com before placing your order. If the rare occasion arises where you feel you must return an item, please contact us for return instructions within ten (10) days (by phone or email) of receipt of your item(s). Upon our receipt and inspection of the returned item(s), we will issue a refund or credit for your item(s) if returned in the same condition as it was when originally sent to you, excluding shipping/insurance costs. Buyer is responsible for return shipping/insurance costs, which will not be reimbursed for any reason. Returned merchandise must be received by us within seven (7) days of the date from which you contact us regarding the return.

When returning merchandise, please ship your books in the same packaging Metropolis used to send your order. Be sure all cardboard slabs are taped tightly to prohibit movement of the books between them. Insurance and delivery confirmation of returns is entirely your responsibility. Books returned to Metropolis in packaging other than our own or in packaging that has not been taped and sealed sufficiently will not be accepted. If you’ve any questions about this policy and how to pack your books, or if our packaging was damaged in transit to you, please call (800) 229-6387 before shipping your return. We do not accept returns on Original Art or comics/items that are part of a grouping(Group Lot).

GRADE GUARANTEE: All comics are carefully and strictly graded by Metropolis Collectibles under the supervision and guidance of owners Vincent Zurzolo and Stephen Fishler, who were instrumental in devloping the 10-point grading system currently in use throughout the industry.  Metropolis can not guarantee that CGC or other dealers will always agree with the grade Metropolis has given a book.  Under no circumstance does Metropolis take a return based on a difference of opinion from another dealer or CGC. Customers have 10 days to return any raw comic if dissatisfied with the comic or grade (see return policy, above).

UNRESTORED GUARANTEE: Metropolis guarantees that only books described as restored are restored. Before buying please read the comments field for the comic(s) you are interested in. In the rare case you discover a book Metropolis sold you as unrestored is restored Metropolis will give you a 100% refund within the first 30 days. After 30 days Metropolis offers a store credit redeemable toward any comic book purchase. This policy does not extend to any books that contain comments indicating any type or form of restoration. We consider books graded by CGC and placed into a blue, Universal holder to be unrestored. Customers are responsible for any expenses incurred in the discovery of restoration or shipping costs.

Jeeze, I never thought I would have to read a legal contract just to buy funny books. 

Looks like they have all the loopholes closed in their favor. I certainly don’t think I should have to spend my time and waste my money when it is clearly their fault. And “credit”? Are you kidding me? I want my money back including postage promptly. A humble apology wouldn’t be out of line either. 

Now, if I don’t know how to grade or know how to detect simple resto and have to send it to CGC, it might be a different story. 

As I said, there are plenty of very upfront dealers out there that respect their customers that I would rather give my money to...

21 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have had awful results buying raw books from Metro and will never buy raw from them again. CGC only from now on.

I have bought three books from Metro (not super expensive, but worthy of slabbing), and all three graded at least 1.0 lower than their estimated grade.

Joe

41 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I have bought three books from Metro (not super expensive, but worthy of slabbing), and all three graded at least 1.0 lower than their estimated grade.

Joe

my results are more in the 2.0 grade point lower than what they graded. Buy a 6.5 metro raw and after slabbing it is a 4.5. Lots of undisclosed defects as well.

Edited by Artboy99

On 10/2/2019 at 7:25 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have had awful results buying raw books from Metro and will never buy raw from them again. CGC only from now on.

I concur my last fiction house Jumbo Comics 123 raw graded 9.0 metropolis had heavy tanning and a rip.  They have great comics but crappy grading.  I will only by CGC from them in the future as well.

I buy from Metro a bit because of the depth of their catalogue and relative ease of purchase form overseas. I always discount their assigned grade when weighing a purchase - they are always at least 0.5 high and sometimes more. But overall I've been happy with what I got and what I paid for it - I simply avoid buying anything where the assigned grade is critical for getting value.

IIRC, Metro didn't do too badly in Cheetah's comparative grading statistics a few years back. I'll try to dig it up.

Edit: here it is

Nothing has changed at Metro in the last 25 years.  It has always been a cr*p-shoot when ordering raw from them, especially back in the days before scans and Internet.  Imagine ordering a book from a paper catalog and waiting about a week to see if it really looks OK...I got lucky most of the time, but once in awhile they'd send me a real piece of garbage.  I got very wary of them around 2000 and almost completely stopped buying from them.  Last year I saw a book I wanted, so I called them up and asked for a back cover scan.  They sent it, as well as a larger FC scan.  I bought the book after negotiating a discount.  I also screamed and yelled about the high shipping charge.  My complaint went as far as Steve Fishler, and Steve told them to charge me less.  God bless him.  I like Steve.  But to my surprise, the book actually looks better than the grade they assigned.  I guess miracles can happen, and sometimes do...:whatthe:

19 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Nothing has changed at Metro in the last 25 years.  It has always been a cr*p-shoot when ordering raw from them, especially back in the days before scans and Internet.  Imagine ordering a book from a paper catalog and waiting about a week to see if it really looks OK...I got lucky most of the time, but once in awhile they'd send me a real piece of garbage.  I got very wary of them around 2000 and almost completely stopped buying from them.  Last year I saw a book I wanted, so I called them up and asked for a back cover scan.  They sent it, as well as a larger FC scan.  I bought the book after negotiating a discount.  I also screamed and yelled about the high shipping charge.  My complaint went as far as Steve Fishler, and Steve told them to charge me less.  God bless him.  I like Steve.  But to my surprise, the book actually looks better than the grade they assigned.  I guess miracles can happen, and sometimes do...:whatthe:

happy to hear

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

They called this a 5.0...or 4.5...I can't remember, but I think it looks better than that...

==ShadowV7#6-5.0.jpg

yes, looks great.

I purchased a couple of books that they graded as 6.5 that came back as 4.5. Back cover scans not shown. I paid 6.5 prices is why I am very disappointed.

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

yes, looks great.

I purchased a couple of books that they graded as 6.5 that came back as 4.5. Back cover scans not shown. I paid 6.5 prices is why I am very disappointed.

I understand.  I read that above.  I was just pointing out that once in a long while they screw up and send something better than described, and for under guide...:roflmao:

But, you need to call them on the phone and request larger scans, including the back cover.  Then, if you want the book you have to call them again and argue about the price...(thumbsu  Salesmen, like me, have no problem with doing that. LOL

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

38 minutes ago, zzutak said:

Showgirls #2.  Metro grade = 3.5 VG-.  My grade = 0.5 PR (Incomplete).  Their response when I phoned to complain = "Grading is subjective" :facepalm: .  I do not even browse their website anymore (and I'm certain they could not care less).

Show-02x1.thumb.jpg.e132462944caa7538f054f414f6ea086.jpg

Hi Jay :hi:

Just curious is there any brittleness to the cover?  And no mention of the spine splits I would guess - I believe the stance is the grade is consistent with their grade but I would like to know the big flaws.  I guess as many books as they list, that would be too much to ask.