• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do You Answer This Question on Ebay When You Get It?

23 posts in this topic

I keep getting this question on my ebay auctions lately: "What is the lowest you are willing to go on this book?" lol

I feel like saying back "Well I set the starting bid at $XX dollars so obviously that's the minimum I feel the book is worth HELLOOO."

Or should I turn it around and say "Not sure, what is the highest you are willing to go on the book?"

How do you all usually handle this question?

37 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

How do you answer this question on Ebay when you get it........"What is the lowest you are willing to go on this book?" 

PleaseLeave.jpg.d90a4aabb4e4bd290be452a9d726b366.jpg

id just ignore it

but I have had dumb enough buyers to counter offer my price with a higher price which I obviously accepted and they paid.  ive also had several occasions where they send a best offer higher than the buy it now price.  I don't understand their logic but the extra money is nice.

If its an auction:

"Thanks for your interest, the minimum starting bid is listed."

If it is BIN:

Do whatever you want, if you want to throw out a number do it and go lower than the list.  If not, say "thanks for your interest, we believe the listed price is a great deal!"

If it is Best Offer:  "Thanks for your interest, we will consider all reasonable offers."

If they press on, you can go to snark-town.  But for a first inquiry, I don't really mind the question.

Say "You like money-I understand that-thats why you want to pay as little as possible.  Unfortunately, I also like money, and want to get as much as possible.  Asking me whats the lowest I can go is equivalent to saying that you like money more than me, and thats simply not true"

I had 3 best offers submitted to me that I accepted and they all decided to not pay ( new sales tax maybe, or testing the water on price), I asked eBay how to solve this and the suggestion was to not allow offers. Set a price and let it sit. So that is how I'm handling it. So far it works and the best part is the buyer has to pay instantly. Less BS. 

Recent exchange...

Buyer: "Hey, what's the lowest you can go? I got like $40."

Me: "I have it listed for $100, BUT juuuuuuust for you, I'll do $125"

B: "What, that's more... I don't wanna pay more."

M: "Sorry, that offer has expired now.  $150 is the minimum now."

B: "Why do you keep raising the price?  I'm looking for a deal."

M: "Oops, too late.  Now it's $175.  Because you're annoying me."

B: "But, it's still listed at $100?"

M: "Yeah, and you can quit annoying me and just buy it for that.  Since I'm at $200 JUST FOR YOU now."

B: "Dude, you're messed up."

M: "$400 now."

B: "Seriously man, you have a problem."

M: "$800... oh, wait, that's expired now too.  Blocked."

I have too much time on my hands, apparently.

2 hours ago, architeuthis said:

Recent exchange...

Buyer: "Hey, what's the lowest you can go? I got like $40."

Me: "I have it listed for $100, BUT juuuuuuust for you, I'll do $125"

B: "What, that's more... I don't wanna pay more."

M: "Sorry, that offer has expired now.  $150 is the minimum now."

B: "Why do you keep raising the price?  I'm looking for a deal."

M: "Oops, too late.  Now it's $175.  Because you're annoying me."

B: "But, it's still listed at $100?"

M: "Yeah, and you can quit annoying me and just buy it for that.  Since I'm at $200 JUST FOR YOU now."

B: "Dude, you're messed up."

M: "$400 now."

B: "Seriously man, you have a problem."

M: "$800... oh, wait, that's expired now too.  Blocked."

I have too much time on my hands, apparently.

This is basically how I negotiate for a car.  I make my offer and when the Salesman comes back with a $200 off the price, I drop my offer by $1000.  When they ask why my offer is going lower, I tell them "you are making a ridiculous offer and so am I"