• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Silver Age Keys Am I Missing?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I know this post may sound like bragging, but, please believe me, that is not my intent.

I am very proud of my collection. I have full runs of Amazing Spider-Man (#1 - #700, but missing #13), Fantastic Four (#1 - #650ish), and Daredevil (#1 - #550ish).

I also have the following Marvel Keys: Amazing Fantasy #15, Avengers #1 and #4, Incredible Hulk #181, Journey into Mystery #83, Rawhide Kid #17, Sgt Fury #1, Strange Tales #101, #110, and #115, Tales of Suspense #39, Tales to Astonish #27 and #35, Two-Gun Kid #60, and X-Men #1.

In addition, I have the following DC keys: The Atom #1, The Brave and the Bold #28, #34, #54, and #57, Green Lantern #1 (SA), Hawkman #1, Justice League of America #1, Metal Men #1 (at least it's a key to me), and Showcase #6, #17, #22, #34, #37, and #55.

Here are some books currently on my want list: Amazing Spider-Man #10 (upgrade), #13, and #15 (upgrade), Black Knight (Atlas) #3 - #5, Brave and the Bold #29, Challengers of the Unknown #1, Flash #123, Giant-Size X-Men #1, Incredible Hulk #1, Justice League of America #21 - #22, Mystery in Space #53, Showcase #23, #24, and #27, Strange Tales Annual #2, Tales of Suspense #52 and #57, Tales to Astonish #44, and X-Men #4. I am currently working to conclude a deal for Journey into Mystery #85.

For Marvel, I know I am missing Avengers #57. Any suggestions of other Marvel keys I am missing (mostly interested in Silver Age)?

For DC, I know I am missing Action #242 and #252, Adventure #247, Detective Comics #359, Flash #105 (in fact, there are a lot of SA keys in the Flash run), Showcase #4 (the same could be said about the Flash Showcase issues). Any suggestions of other DC keys I am missing (again, mostly interested in Silver Age)? This list will probably be longer, because I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy.

As I mentioned before, please don't interpret this as an attempt to brag. I'm sure that are many members that have collections that would dwarf my collection.

Please help me fill in any missing blanks.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Joe Ankenbauer

Wonderful collection!

But everyone needs a bit of Scooter in their lives!

This will be right up there with Woodgod and Rocket racer one day.

Wait until Justin Beiber makes the movie and this will be a must have!

SWING_WITH_SCOOTER_.jpe.85da6b026138db605d8381e4e22f0d2c.jpe

Seriously though, you might want to go a little earlier and look at some Batman GA books - Bats #49, #121, Tec #38 , #58, #66 #140 etc as you have a wonderful collection!

For Silver - Hawkman #4 has been slowly but steadily rising - seems to be levelling off again currently. I have no idea what caused the latest mini-jump.

Feel free to show some group shots!

2 hours ago, silversufer27 said:

wow you got everything lol but if you're missing something it might be silver surfer 1

See, this is the kind of input I'm looking for.

I know I'm in the minority, but I never really cared for the Silver Surfer issues. I know #1 and #4 have classic covers, but again, I'm just not a fan of the series.

Joe

18 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I never really cared for the Silver Surfer issues. I know #1 and #4 have classic covers, but again, I'm just not a fan of the series.

Joe

Yeah silver surfer is not for everyone but for me it’s a must have for collectors another silver age key you might not have is Thor 165 which is the 1st full Adam warlock

Edited by silversufer27

19 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Joe

I’m right there with you. But if you want more key books, the entire “Class of ‘68” is worth having. Those comics are steadily gaining a following.

Joe,

Since you're pretty complete on the early Marvel keys, I'd consider Amazing Adventures #1 (1961) -- predates FF1 by six months, 1st Dr Droom (aka Dr Druid).

Maybe also Strange Tales 135 (SHIELD/Hydra) and Sgt Fury 13 (classic Cap cover/crossover)?

Edited by Readcomix

Carol Danvers key books are in a price drop right now, so I'd recommend picking up a high grade copy of Marvel Super-Heroes #13. Her character is slowly growing in prominence not just in the movies, but in the comics, too. Once Phase Five of the MCU kicks in, I think we'll finally see Kevin Feige's foretelling of Captain Marvel as the face of the MCU come to fruition.

X-Men #10, the 1st SA app of Ka-Zar, Sabu, and the Savage Land, is also an overlooked SA key.

Speaking of X-Men, 12 and 14 are pretty solid keys. I assume you have the annuals in your ASM and FF runs, but, if not, there are a few keys in there as well. 

Besides the heavy-hitters you mentioned for DC, Detective 225 is up there as another big key as well. B&B 60 is a personal favorite of mine. Also, Bats 121, 155, 171, 181, 189 with 121 and 181 being key first apps of major villains, the others being 1st SA appearances of villains. 

WOW!! *drool* *faint* *thud*      I think if I was "proud" like you , I might brag once or twice ....but no more them twice. That would just be in poor taste ;)

Submariner ? DD? *grumbling under breath* who dont like the Silver Surfer? "Board...To Me!! "  whats not to love

Did anyone say Detective Comics #359 first Batgirl *swoon* I love her :) 

Tales if Suspense #52  first Black Widow *swoon* I love her too :)

Tales to Astonish #44 first Wasp *swoon* I love her too  :)

The Brave and the Bold #54 first Teen Titans- Wonder Girl and later with the new team Starfire/Koriand'r  well... you already know 

Look, Ya'll have to except the fact, I have a lot of love in my heart      

Hey, Joe about the only other thing I could find for you was this six pack of humility ;)  Hold my dog. I am going to throw a match on my collection. BRB

Very Nice Collection!!!

IMO and the way I do/did it was to fill the holes in the runs first and then upgrade other books if you feel you need to.

16 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

also have the following Marvel Keys: Amazing Fantasy #15, Avengers #1 and #4, Incredible Hulk #181, Journey into Mystery #83, Rawhide Kid #17, Sgt Fury #1, Strange Tales #101, #110, and #115, Tales of Suspense #39, Tales to Astonish #27 and #35, Two-Gun Kid #60, and X-Men #1.

I see you have multiple individual key books, what type of books do you enjoy that you would be looking for, Horror, Western, Super Hero?

8 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Very Nice Collection!!!

IMO and the way I do/did it was to fill the holes in the runs first and then upgrade other books if you feel you need to.

I see you have multiple individual key books, what type of books do you enjoy that you would be looking for, Horror, Western, Super Hero?

Well, I'm more of a super-hero guy, despite my purchases of Rawhide Kid #17 and Two-Gun Kid #60. I definitely have no interest in horror.

Right now, I'm considering working on the following runs:

The Brave and the Bold #1 - #24
The Avengers #1 - #16 (where the Kirby covers stop)
X-Men #1 - #17 (also where the Kirby covers stop)

I looked at GPA, and I could get Avengers #1 - #16 in 6.0 (excluding my already owned/purchased #1 and #4) for around $3000. That seems doable. Some of these issues are remarkably cheap! My first two purchases would have to be #2 and #8.

I looked at GPA again, and I could get X-Men #1 - #17 (excluding my already purchased X-Men #1) for around $5500 - $6000. Interested, but that might be out of my price range. My first two purchase would have to be #4, followed by #2, #3, #9, and #12.

I haven't priced a BatB #1 - #24 run, but my main interest in this is the excitement in finding one of these issues. From what I've read here on the boards, these issues don't come up for sale that often. I am aware that there are several of these books for sale in the Comic Market: Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Only forum, but I need to pay for Journey into Mystery #85 first.

I would like to get an Infantino Flash run, but those Showcase issues and early Flash issues are SO expensive. I guess I will have to stay satisfied with my DC Archives and Showcase of those issues.

Right now, I'm trying to get a high mid-grade issue of Strange Tales Annual #2. I'm looking for a 6.5 to 7.5 graded issue.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I've really enjoyed all this back-and-forth!

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

Marvel:

- Strange Tales 89

- Tales of Suspense 50

- Iron Man 1 and 55 (yes it is bronze - but you have GSXM1 listed :) )

- ASM Annual 1 (I didn't see it listed - but likely you have it in your run?)

DC:

- Adventure Comics 210 and 283

- Superboy 68

- My Greatest Adventure 80

- Tec 225

- Flash 123 and 139

- Showcase 8 and 9

6 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Marvel:

- ASM Annual 1 (I didn't see it listed - but likely you have it in your run?)

DC:

- My Greatest Adventure 80

I do have both of these. I also forgot to include in my list Action #242 and Adventure #247. I'm sure they are pricey, but you can't argue about their importance.

Joe