• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Silver Age Keys Am I Missing?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2019 at 9:43 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

Besides the heavy-hitters you mentioned for DC, Detective 225 is up there as another big key as well. B&B 60 is a personal favorite of mine. Also, Bats 121, 155, 171, 181, 189 with 121 and 181 being key first apps of major villains, the others being 1st SA appearances of villains. 

I echo this list, especially Bats 121 and 181; I don't think 232 is too late chronologically, since it predates GSX 1, so I'd strongly consider it in high grade. B&B 85 is a great book, I think, more for its Green Arrow impact than anything else. Showcase 73 is a great combo: Ditko art and a key Batman character.

Trying to mention some non-Bat books not yet included: I think Wonder Woman 98 is the most prominent post-GA WW book. Action 340 (first Parasite) is underrated, as is Showcase 56 (first SA Psycho Pirate)--especially with the CW TV shows doing Crisis on Infinite Earths this winter. Showcase 30 is worth having as well. Superman 123 has companion/supplemental value to Action 252 (which I personally prefer to 242, b/c it also is the first appearance of Metallo).

36 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

Trying to mention some non-Bat books not yet included: I think Wonder Woman 98 is the most prominent post-GA WW book. Action 340 (first Parasite) is underrated, as is Showcase 56 (first SA Psycho Pirate)--especially with the CW TV shows doing Crisis on Infinite Earths this winter. Showcase 30 is worth having as well. Superman 123 has companion/supplemental value to Action 252 (which I personally prefer to 242, b/c it also is the first appearance of Metallo).

I do have Showcase #56 too. I recently put together a mini-run of Showcase #55 - #56 and The Brave and the Bold #61 - #62 (the Murphy Anderson Golden Age revival books). Showcase #55 I have in CGC 8.0, and I think the other three books are all at least 7.0 - 7.5, if not higher.

Joe

Want to add more to your collection? If you don't care about the third-tier keys so much, then start either upgrading, or just buy additional copies of books you really like.

Before I sold my stash, I had 3 X-Men #1's, 4 GSXM #1's, 2 Daredevil #1's, 2 TTA #27's, 4 ASM #121's, 3 ASM #15's, 3 ASM #50's, yadda yadda yadda.

Now, I was really an investor, not a collector. So as a collector, you might wanna do the upgrades instead.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:29 PM, bpc3qh said:

I don't think Batman 232 is too late chronologically, since it predates GSX 1, so I'd strongly consider it in high grade.

I've always wanted to know this: what CGC grades are considered low-grade, mid-grade, and high-grade?

Thanks!

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

20 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I've always wanted to know this: what CGC grades are considered low-grade, mid-grade, and high-grade?

Thanks!

Joe

I think it’s all relative. If you’re talking bronze, 8.0 isn’t high grade, Centaur? It is.

4 hours ago, KirbyJack said:
On 11/8/2019 at 3:09 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Thanks!

Joe

I think it’s all relative. If you’re talking bronze, 8.0 isn’t high grade, Centaur? It is.

And for some GA books, 6.0 is high grade

Strange Adventures 205 1st Deadman

Flash 106 1st Grodd (also 1st Piper but Grodd is the real key) 110 1st Wally West, and someone mentioned 139 1st RF

Showcase 8 1st Silver age super villain, parka and all set the tone for all villains to follow

Green lantern 7 1st Sinestro 16, 1st Star Sapphire, possible 40 return of golden age GL into GL comics and the origin of the guardians