• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

selling in the market place

9 posts in this topic

Question folks, I have been selling on Ebay for many years and was just wandering, can anyone tell me about their experience with selling on the market place here? I am guessing you just post a book with pictures and either choose to accept paypal, right? I see some of the listings accept checks as well. I am not paranoid, but I notice there is talk of a wall of shame board and just want no part of scammers. i have 800+ positive feedback ratings on Ebay and am just sick of their selling fees. Anyone who can give me any input would be greatly appreciated. 

There's some rules posted, you should definitely check those out to make sure you follow them.

But other than that, the type of payment you accept is totally up to you, assuming you adhere to the rules of whatever platform you use, like not accepting paypal personal. 

There is a probation/wall of shame area, you can dig around that area too and see what's going on.

Just go through a few threads and see what they do, read the rules, and you should be good to go.

The marketplace is generally pretty good here, but goes through slow seasons and dry spells too, there's just not as many viewers as ebay or some other sites.  As you said, no fees which means people generally don't expect to pay as much as they would pay on ebay, but sometimes buying from 'known' people here on the boards and having great pictures and 'more trusted' grading can result in premium as well.  I would say that overall its more 'professional' than instagram or facebook, and your word is 'more' important here.

One of the big difference from ebay is that on ebay you can throw up listings and leave them somewhat indefinitely, whereas here usually sales threads are like one or two weeks or less unless they're HUGE threads where people consistently keep adding books.

2 hours ago, Dino-Mutt said:

Thank you sir, I will check out the threads you suggested and give it a try. I will test the waters on pricing my books and see what happens. I would rather see a buyer save $50 off my price than pay that fee to Ebay. Thank you for your time!

That's the spirit.  Some see the boards as a way to net more than Ebay.  The willingness to net the same and pass that savings on to board members is what makes great board members.

Generally if you sell to people here (who arent listed on some naughty or probation list), you will get an easy sale that leaves you and the buyer happy. Again, if you are selling common stuff, people are unlikely to buy. But if you have older stuff in decent shape, you can do well here. 

I avoid check payments mostly because of how I have money tied up. Despite being organized, a payment gets forgotten every now and then. I perform a lot of transactions.

Despite PayPal waiting a day to withdraw funds from my account(s), I find it to be the most convenient method of payment (and payment receipt). I've never had a problem in a PayPal transaction before on a hobby forum such as CGC as a buyer or a seller. I haven't sold on CGC only because I'm not interested in selling any of my collection. lol

As you probably know, if you are selling in-demand or key books, I'd expect that you'll do well (assuming your prices are fair). I would keep the HOS/Probation List handy, and list that they're not allowed to purchase, if you wish to avoid potential headaches.

Do your homework and good luck!

Revat raises good points. I would like to reiterate that the Boards are not ebay, your books won’t get as many eyes. I do like selling here, but many times I’ve had no bites and then quickly sold the books at higher prices on ebay.

Be prepared for lowballers, and lowballers with sob stories.

Best to think of the marketplace place as an additional venue for selling as opposed to an all-out alternative to ebay.

Finally, while I’d prefer not to pay it, 10% in fees is pretty minuscule to get your goods in front of thousands of potential buyers. You’re not likely to find a source to consign books for less than that.

What kind of books are you selling? Do you have anything up on ebay right now?

I have a few, but like others, I like to hold on to way too much( per the wife). I will buy a few hundred here and there at auctions or local sales and sell off most of the common stuff on ebay. I try to be fair, I sell under jsp0428. I work and have a wife and three kids, I am not loaded, but I have found 3 or 4 1500 book + lots that I have sold off over the last 12-15 years or so. It's a fun hobby. I think I prefer the hunt for new books better than anything. Thanks for all your input everyone, I will check out the naughty lists and maybe give it a try. Ebay + paypal usually seems like it takes 15-17% off the top but then again, who has millions of buyers walking into their store daily? All great points you guys have made. Thanks