• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 14 with rusty staples!
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I purchased this book from Worldwide Comics.  The front and back cover are flat and the colors jump on the front cover. The problem with the book are the rusty staples.  The bottom staple in a little more rusty than the top one. The rust does not bleed through the book and the interior pages look white to me. It will be going to CGC. Your grading of this book is much appreciated!  (thumbsu

Fantastic Four 14 Front Cover.jpg

Fantastic Four 14 Back Cover.jpg

Hey Steve....I would have to agree with the first two posts in that it's in the FN (6.0) range with the rusty staples. Nice colors for sure. :cloud9:

Feb 1963 (May 1963 publishing date) was the first month Marvel changed their cover format from the 12 cent bubble price look to the side bar appearance (courtesy of Steve Ditko). 

I've submitted quite a few books with lightly rusted staples to CGC over the years (a significant portion of the River City collection was stored outside the original owner's home).  Based on my experience, y'all are being a bit too harsh -- I think this copy will be certified as a 7.0 FN/VF.  The light ink smudging on the back cover is more distracting to me than the light rust.  But it's a nice looking book, overall.

I've purchased dozens of raw books from Steve over the years, and nearly all eventually made their way to Sarasota.  Sometimes CGC has been a grade increment or two harsher than Steve, and sometimes they've been a grade increment or two more lenient.  However, Steve's cumulative total is almost an exact match with CGC's.  (thumbsu

On 10/3/2019 at 7:57 AM, zzutak said:

I've submitted quite a few books with lightly rusted staples to CGC over the years (a significant portion of the River City collection was stored outside the original owner's home).  Based on my experience, y'all are being a bit too harsh -- I think this copy will be certified as a 7.0 FN/VF.  The light ink smudging on the back cover is more distracting to me than the light rust.  But it's a nice looking book, overall.

:acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

On 11/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, Steviehuv66 said:

I dropped the book to CGC at the New York City Comic Con. I received it back yesterday with no press. 

DA5682A8-29E8-4527-ACA7-7DB1DE943174.jpeg

Hi Steve, congrats on the book, looks great in a slab! I have a book with very similar staple conditions like yours from the outside but a bit worse inside without any stain or migration, wondering if you remember how the staples look inside your book? Thanks.