• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two different Haunt of Fear 17? Please help!

17 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I’m trying to find a copy of Haunt of Fear 17 with the purple undead cover from Feb 1950 but there is also a different Haunt of Fear 17 with a green cover dated Sept Oct 1950. Most of my searches bring up the green one. Any advice or does anyone have a copy they might be looking to sell?

Thanks!

AJ

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

The top one is actually #3. Is this the one you are seeking? Slightly tougher to find than the actual #17 below it. Neither of mine are for sale. Keep looking and you will find one The second one is one of EC's most popular horror covers and might be a little pricey...

comhauntoffear17.jpg

comhauntoffear17a.jpg

Great books! Either one is worth having...

Thanks so much everyone. This really helps but still really hard to find in GPA Analysis. If anyone has a purple undead copy I am interested. I will be putting up in WTB section as well.

2 hours ago, AJCohen said:

Thanks so much everyone. This really helps but still really hard to find in GPA Analysis. If anyone has a purple undead copy I am interested. I will be putting up in WTB section as well.

Just select Haunt of Fear #17 and GPA will bring up two sales charts. The top chart (1950) is for the Green Johnny Craig cover and the lower chart (1953) is for the Blue/Purple Graham 'Ghastly' Ingels cover. I had three copies of the cover you are looking for but unfortunately just sold them all. 

2 hours ago, AJCohen said:

If you're new to collecting golden age and atomic age comics, I highly recommend the Gerber Photo-Journal Guides to Comics.  It's probably the best reference of it's kind.

My guess (as an old printer's devil) is that the bottom cover is light on blue ink. Assuming the use of a four color press, the vibrant green on Vault Keeper versus Army green on the bottom copy, plus faded purplish CK on bottom issue, says ink roller not carrying enough blue (a kind of Planet Stories variation). By the way, 17 is perhaps Ghastly's better cover, but 18 has to be the most intricate and odd one; just try to figure out everything that is going on...

4 hours ago, ageofsilver said:

By the way, 17 is perhaps Ghastly's better cover, but 18 has to be the most intricate and odd one; just try to figure out everything that is going on...

I actually prefer #18's cover, now that you mention it. Just so many demented details! #17's cover has a lot of fans here though.