• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM Tattooz insert upside down and backwards

10 posts in this topic

I am hoping to draw upon the experience of people on this board.

I bought an ASM 238 with Tattooz, and the good news is they are there (held it up to the light). The odd part about the book is the insert is upside down and backwards, and it doesnt look like other copies I have owned or photos I checked online. That made me worried that the tattooz may have been poached from a different book.

Has anyone else seen this?

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4737.JPG

On 10/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, joeypost said:

Look at the staple around the tattooz. Does it appear that it has been doctored? Sometimes people replace the tattooz from another book and, in their haste, put them in upside down. 

I cant see any evidence that the staple was pulled up, but that does not mean it didnt happen. 

The insert started this way, otherwise there were be a second fold. When I think about it, a key bit of info that would be helpful is whether the inserts of FF 252 or the other books that had these inserts look like this one. That would be a dead giveaway that it was a replacement Tattooz insert. Otherwise it could just be a weird think that happened in a part of the print run. 

If you're going to have the book certified, be prepared for the worst case scenario. The graders at CGC know a thing or two about married covers, married wraps, and married inserts. They've also seen a wide variety of manufacturing errors. That's not to say they don't occasionally miss things, but if they missed something like this I'd be surprised. No matter what you decide, thanks for the interesting post and good luck!   

8 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

If you're going to have the book certified, be prepared for the worst case scenario. The graders at CGC know a thing or two about married covers, married wraps, and married inserts. They've also seen a wide variety of manufacturing errors. That's not to say they don't occasionally miss things, but if they missed something like this I'd be surprised. No matter what you decide, thanks for the interesting post and good luck!   

For sure.

This copy is about an 8.0, maybe 8.5 tops so it isnt worth sending to CGC. I just want to make sure I am getting it right when I sell it because I dont want to accidentally rip someone off (or undercharge if I decide to be cautious). Just trying to cover my bases to protect me and any potential buyers. 

11 hours ago, Stefan_W said:

This copy is about an 8.0, maybe 8.5 tops so it isnt worth sending to CGC. I just want to make sure I am getting it right when I sell it because I dont want to accidentally rip someone off (or undercharge if I decide to be cautious). Just trying to cover my bases to protect me and any potential buyers. 

That's very commendable.

As long as you mention it in your listing, you've done your due diligence, IMO...

On 10/7/2019 at 11:09 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I cannot honestly answer this question, my Son's ASM 238 is missing the Tattooz, however...

According to Overstreet the value of the book is the same with or without the Tattooz so does it really matter where they came from as long as they are in good shape and not used?

Overstreet is wrong, because value is subjective and I can guarantee you that you will get significantly more on eBay with the tatooz than without. 

17 hours ago, SBRobin said:

Overstreet is wrong, because value is subjective and I can guarantee you that you will get significantly more on eBay with the tatooz than without. 

You are probably correct.

Overstreet is only "A Guide", as we all know...

"Any collectible is only worth what a collector is willing to pay".

To my knowledge, those tattooz appeared in an issue of Fantastic Four around the same time. It is my understanding that this issue is cheap, maybe a couple bucks. It is also my experience that despite what Overstreet says, people 100% care that that insert is there (myself included).

It comes down to how easy/difficult is it to remove a staple and "marry" the two. I am not an expert in that category. Nor have I seen this before. You would think though that if someone went to the trouble to marry the two to try to profit they would make it right. I mean its kind of an obscurish thing to go out of ones way to track down a copy of the FF issue and then take the time to do this...all to leave it upside down.

I am going to bet that if the insert looks okay, no double holes in it and the staples seem like they are in their original positioning, that this is just a printing error. Getting someone else with the defect would help to confirm it has happened.