• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Available older keys "drying up" a report from NYCC
6 6

223 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, blazingbob said:

I have to be honest because frankly I am not sure what "Convention Pricing is"

I do NOT have the time or want to make the effort to reprice material for a show.

The same price at the show is the same price on my website unless I forgot to change the sticker in the back when I repriced it.

If you can't start a negotiation with me when I price a CGC graded book at 1.1X last GPA there is something wrong. 

Prior to CGC raw high grade was regularly priced at 3, 4, 5 times multiple of OSPG. 

I did lots of negotiating and bought lots of books that way.

"Don't be the GPA is the only price I'll pay guy" and try to be a little open minded to how things get priced and sold and how business relationships work which is what we are all doing when we buy and sell with each other.

Walking away "sore" may give you some short term comfort but cost you in the long run.

Posting on CGC forum boards screaming to the internet wind that there is nothing to buy gives us no insight into what your budget is or where you are coming from sometimes.  I want to buy books at my prices all the time,  doesn't mean the seller has to accommodate me.  

Prior to CGC a lot of things were different. Prior to the internet a lot of things were different too. But the market has been changed by these things and that’s just the way it is

16 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Prior to CGC a lot of things were different. Prior to the internet a lot of things were different too. But the market has been changed by these things and that’s just the way it is

?

Convention pricing wasn't around before the internet?

People couldn't start a convention at a show to negotiate before the internet?

Don't be the GPA guy was the "I don't pay over guide before the internet"

Walking away "Sore" was around before the internet

Posting on the forum boards was accomplished with phone calls,  you know the ones that used to be attached to the wall.

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Anyone that doesn't try to negotiate a discount of some sort is a fool with his money...2c

I disagree. I understand that sellers such as Bob Storms has to have some sort of meat on the bone. After all they have to pay for the travel,the inventory,  the price of the show etc.

If there is a price on a book that I am comfortable with I will pay the price, if not I dont.

GPA and Overstreet be damned.

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I disagree. I understand that sellers such as Bob Storms has to have some sort of meat on the bone. After all they have to pay for the travel,the inventory,  the price of the show etc.

If there is a price on a book that I am comfortable with I will pay the price, if not I dont.

GPA and Overstreet be damned.

I as a buyer have to pay similar costs.  It costs me $ to travel to the show, stay in a hotel; buy meals; gain entrance to the event.  It's a two way street.  

No one should have to pay full sticker on any book.  Savvy sellers should be smart enough to price their books to be able to give some sort of discount to a buyer so that they walk away with a profit and the buyer walks away feeling good about the transaction.  

In a "cash is king" environment, no buyer should be paying sticker price under any circumstance.

Edited by pemart1966

On 10/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, drotto said:

I was looking mainly for lower to mid grade Batmans, key or first appearance for villians.  The had multiple Mr. Freeze and like one of Scarecrow, but that is all I saw.  I could have misses them, but I looked around for a good solid 3 or 4 hours and asked several dealers if they had them. Last year when that was not my focus, I saw many.

I just brought this up because when I commented to two dealers, they both said they felt early keys in generally were drying up, and "disappearing " into permanent collections.

I was looking for high grade Batmans - mainly silver age.  By "high grade" I  mean 9.0 + with superior PQ (minimum OW - W).  I might have seen 2 books that met that criteria.

Quite frankly, I was disappointed in the small number of comic dealers present for the size of this show.  I get the economics of the situation but I'm thinking that this show is perhaps not the best at which to get books esp high grade graded.  Is Baltimore a better show for comics as opposed to NY Comic Con which seems to have little focus on comics?

4 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I was looking for high grade Batmans - mainly silver age.  By "high grade" I  mean 9.0 + with superior PQ (minimum OW - W).  I might have seen 2 books that met that criteria.

Quite frankly, I was disappointed in the small number of comic dealers present for the size of this show.  I get the economics of the situation but I'm thinking that this show is perhaps not the best at which to get books esp high grade graded.  Is Baltimore a better show for comics as opposed to NY Comic Con which seems to have little focus on comics?

What issue range were you looking for?  NY Comic con has a very good cross section of comic dealers.  Baltimore will have more that cover a wider price range scope.  Not exactly sure if the dealer base will have high grade batman's since those are books that generally will sell very well off my website.  I'm also assuming if you were looking that you looked at my website and if I had any put them on hold so I could bring them?

On 10/4/2019 at 12:55 PM, batman_fan said:

Be prepared to hear “it’s for my private collection. It will go in the vault where it won’t see the light of day until I am dead, so can you take 25% off the price.” Only to see it freshly pressed in a new CGC holder for sell at 10x what you sold it for. 

What happens with a book is nobody's business but the owners. (shrug)

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

What happens with a book is nobody's business but the owners. (shrug)

Let me add that it is wrong for a buyer to lie about his intentions in order to secure a better price, but I don't understand the mindset of sellers who ask about the buyer's intentions. 

Come up with one price for the book and be done with it. I don't expect a discount if the book ends up in my vault forever, but I certainly don't appreciate sellers who make implied demands in regards to what I do with the book once it is mine. 

If you feel burnt when you see a book relisted a few weeks later at a higher price, then maybe you should revisit your pricing scheme. 

I sold a book on the boards for $800 and the buyer flipped it three weeks later for a $400 profit. In all fairness, he asked me if I wanted to buy it back before he sold it....

no one's fault but my own. I should have been far more aggressive with my pricing. 

People whining about flips is annoying. It's part of the game. Price accordingly. :sumo:

7 minutes ago, newshane said:

Let me add that it is wrong for a buyer to lie about his intentions in order to secure a better price, but I don't understand the mindset of sellers who ask about the buyer's intentions. 

Come up with one price for the book and be done with it. I don't expect a discount if the book ends up in my vault forever, but I certainly don't appreciate sellers who make implied demands in regards to what I do with the book once it is mine. 

If you feel burnt when you see a book relisted a few weeks later at a higher price, then maybe you should revisit your pricing scheme. 

I sold a book on the boards for $800 and the buyer flipped it three weeks later for a $400 profit. In all fairness, he asked me if I wanted to buy it back before he sold it....

no one's fault but my own. I should have been far more aggressive with my pricing. 

People whining about flips is annoying. It's part of the game. Price accordingly. :sumo:

That's my point exactly.  When someone comes to a dealer/seller with the story line "it is for my vault collection never to see the light of day, how about a discount", simply reply "that is awesome, really glad to hear, I love it when someone buys something they really want.  Unfortunately, can't discount"  

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

?

Convention pricing wasn't around before the internet?

People couldn't start a convention at a show to negotiate before the internet?

Don't be the GPA guy was the "I don't pay over guide before the internet"

Walking away "Sore" was around before the internet

Posting on the forum boards was accomplished with phone calls,  you know the ones that used to be attached to the wall.

The guides were written by the dealers (some of whom were known undisclosed restoration scammer types). GPA is written by actual sales results. Using GPA as a reference for pricing is like using CGC standards as a reference for grading, but a few of the old school guys will still call everything NM

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Silver Age Batmans?  There were a lot in the room.  plenty 9.0+ and plenty with ow/w or better.  Plenty CGC graded.  I should know, I bought 3 of them.  

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Anyone that doesn't try to negotiate a discount of some sort is a fool with his money...2c

Absolutely negotiate! Always negotiate. Always BE negotiating. Negotiate with your body language even before you get to the booth.  Negotiate with your stare as you get the dealer's attention.  Negotiate even as you're making small talk warming up to negotiate.  Negotiate hard on the price, negotiate on the payment method, negotiate on a trade in, negotiate on any store credit, negotiate on the fees, negotiate on what drinks you may have to buy the dealer later to close the deal.  Just whatever you do, don't be THAT guy that uses the pathetic "please it's for my personal collection cut me a deal" tactic.

23 minutes ago, justafan said:

Absolutely negotiate! Always negotiate. Always BE negotiating. Negotiate with your body language even before you get to the booth.  Negotiate with your stare as you get the dealer's attention.  Negotiate even as you're making small talk warming up to negotiate.  Negotiate hard on the price, negotiate on the payment method, negotiate on a trade in, negotiate on any store credit, negotiate on the fees, negotiate on what drinks you may have to buy the dealer later to close the deal.  Just whatever you do, don't be THAT guy that uses the pathetic "please it's for my personal collection cut me a deal" tactic.

That or just walk if you don’t like the price, which is what I do