• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Available older keys "drying up" a report from NYCC
6 6

223 posts in this topic

The problem with threads like these is that they are too vague. I have zero perspective from the OP. It reminds me of all the "wizard Chicago is dead" threads 

I can talk to two dealers at a show and they will say the comic market is the worse it's ever been and talk to two other ones and they will say the opposite. Buying is harder, buying is easier etc etc

The one thing that I've seen consistently at most shows (big and small) is that there are more players out there and more money being passed around. Maybe some dealers aren't making as much as before or buying as much as before but the ones that adapt to the market as it changes/evolves continue to do well.  I think those that don't evolve or expect the same results show after show without any change will be left behind.

For the market and shows that I deal with, I'm probably paying a bit more for books than I did 3 years ago but I am also doing better now than then. A big part is that I've learned from my mistakes and developed a small customer base. I am having to work harder to meet my numbers because my local market has far more people buying than before. 

20 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The problem with threads like these is that they are too vague. I have zero perspective from the OP. It reminds me of all the "wizard Chicago is dead" threads 

I can talk to two dealers at a show and they will say the comic market is the worse it's ever been and talk to two other ones and they will say the opposite. Buying is harder, buying is easier etc etc

The one thing that I've seen consistently at most shows (big and small) is that there are more players out there and more money being passed around. Maybe some dealers aren't making as much as before or buying as much as before but the ones that adapt to the market as it changes/evolves continue to do well.  I think those that don't evolve or expect the same results show after show without any change will be left behind.

For the market and shows that I deal with, I'm probably paying a bit more for books than I did 3 years ago but I am also doing better now than then. A big part is that I've learned from my mistakes and developed a small customer base. I am having to work harder to meet my numbers because my local market has far more people buying than before. 

It was Greg Reece (I think) who summed up the market best in an anecdote about a GL 76 he bought 5-10 years ago. He saw it at a shop and it was priced right, but he passed, then changed his mind and picked it up a year or so later on his way to a con. This was possible back in 2010 or 2011 or whatever it was. Now? That book would be sold inside of a week. Where I am? Inside of an hour. 

I will say this though, the lack of "singles" or "doubles" on obvious stuff has been offset partly by a big increase in home runs. I don't sell as many books as I used to, but number of big money books has changed so drastically. I mean, look at the number of issues that clear $1,000 or $10,000 every day. It's incredible.