• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Available older keys "drying up" a report from NYCC
6 6

223 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2019 at 11:57 PM, Buzzetta said:

I just got back and settled in from the show.

I am going to repeat what I have said before.   People are not selling to dealers anymore.  Bob Storms himself, commented when I wrote this that dealers are having a harder time finding collections to buy and have to adapt to this climate in order to compete. 

945129164_ScreenShot2019-10-04at11_40_34PM.thumb.png.59c79a3e96004c2a2bb41f6476a255aa.png

Why would I ever sell my books to a dealer?  Unless the dealer is going to give me 90% of the value I am going to send those books to auction at CLink, CConnect, Heritage or MCS.  So the main competition seems to come from auction sites.  When dealers are sourcing even some of their inventory from the auctions I am competing in they are going to buy a book and raise the price to have a nice wall book here and there.   The value then goes up because the dealer wants to make some scratch.  The thing is, if I am the underbidder or monitoring the auction then I know what the book is 'worth'.  I'm not paying the inflated dealer price on the book I wasn't quick enough to nab on the latest auction site last week. 

I am walking around the show and realizing that I can find better deals on books online.  It's disappointing but true.  In the last 30 days I have spent into the four figures toward buying some things.  I have cash and a credit card with me at NYCC as I walk the floor.  The thing is, I am not going to buy something just to come home with something.  I am patient and I can wait.  If I can do better online then I will wait until then. I asked about a copy of ASM 31 today (1st Spider Gwen for the Noobz) - guy had it in his booth and I inquired.  He had to make a phone call to the dealer than ran the booth.  Raw book was in a 4.5-5.0 range at best.  The guy wanted $300 firm.  Seriously?  Okay... I will pick up a graded 4.5 for $175 at the next auction.  Glad I picked up my 9.0 from another collector last fall. 

So for the books I am looking for?  Let's see when the next major auctions are:

Comiclink auction starts on 10/16

Heritage has a Sunday auction on 10/6 and then again on 10/13 and every Sunday thereafter 

Heritage has a major auction event coming up in November

Comic Connect is running their next event auction ending on October 14th.

There is PLENTY to pick from as a buyer.   It is a buyers market if you are patient and it is a seller's market for the impatient.   

Indeed. I frequently see a comic book for sale by a dealer that I was the underbidder on and which I was willing to pay x for. The dealer who may, of course, price it as they wish is asking xx for it; I will not purchase it as with my collecting focus there is always another copy of most comic books around the corner. Granted, someone else may purchase it but that is not my concern.

Edit: (The CGC board "system" or, on my end, a typical Microsoft glitch did not allow my initial posting of my comment outside of original comment section.)

Indeed. I frequently see a comic book for sale by a dealer that I was the underbidder on and which I was willing to pay x for. The dealer who may, of course, price it as they wish is asking xx for it; I will not purchase it as with my collecting focus there is always another copy of most comic books around the corner. Granted, someone else may purchase it but that is not my concern.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
System did not allow posting outside original comment section.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Skipping the last day. I already got up at 8:30 and pulled a root ball from the ground from the hedge I cut down.  After that, there is no need to walk around the Javits floor for a couple of hours. 

Wound up buying two books from Richie Muchin / Tomorrow's Treasures and added to my Weird Science pile with issue 22 from Storms. 

We can still expect an NYCC thread?

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

We can still expect an NYCC thread?

I have enough pics. I took pics with the intent of doing a thread and I went floating around the show with two guys from the boards, one who is an active participant and one who lurks.   However, who knows.  

Edited by Buzzetta

(Responding to posts re: nobody is selling to dealers, not the notion that high end books aren't out there at NYCC). Dealers are clearly out there buying plenty of books, perhaps not the high end better c-linkable books. I was just bidding on a book with jscomics and criminey, they have a ton of multiples of bronze and copper keys..like 5-10 copies of BP #1 in HG, multiples of conan 1, etc. The SA and GA books they tend to only have 1 copy of. maybe they just bought a big collection and not much of it is slabbed. I find it interesting they have such a huge selection the same weekend as NYCC as they usually have a ton of tables, but it tends to be cheaper stuff.

Edited by the blob

12 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I totally had the NES Stadium Game with the power pad etc. I begged my parents for it, I told them it would be exercise lol 

It's long gone though, that and I opened and played it...... 

3 hours ago, october said:

I get the OSPG part, but GPA? Any seller that gets angry when I cite actual sales data isn't someone I want to do business with. That's ridiculous. 

one dealer even had spreadsheet printouts of 90 day and 12 mo GPA along with his ASK for each of his graded books.  Thought that was pretty handy so at least you didn't have to look it up and could tell where along GPA he was.

So hard to walk in this place. And closed early today my only day to get there. As to the question op said....my brother and I got some big books for good deals. Dont have pics yet but...

The pickups all at or below gpa

Gsx1 cgc 5.0

Ff48 3.5 cgc

Ff9 cgc 6.0

Ff52 cgc 4.5

Silver surfer 1, 3 raw

Tons more. I'll post picks in the new this week thread when I get to it. Lots of great artists but was so hard to get to them and some of them were late. Donnie cates by far longest line and also snyder/jock was long. 

Edited by jason4

13 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I have to be honest because frankly I am not sure what "Convention Pricing is"

I do NOT have the time or want to make the effort to reprice material for a show.

The same price at the show is the same price on my website unless I forgot to change the sticker in the back when I repriced it.

If you can't start a negotiation with me when I price a CGC graded book at 1.1X last GPA there is something wrong. 

Prior to CGC raw high grade was regularly priced at 3, 4, 5 times multiple of OSPG. 

I did lots of negotiating and bought lots of books that way.

"Don't be the GPA is the only price I'll pay guy" and try to be a little open minded to how things get priced and sold and how business relationships work which is what we are all doing when we buy and sell with each other.

Walking away "sore" may give you some short term comfort but cost you in the long run.

Posting on CGC forum boards screaming to the internet wind that there is nothing to buy gives us no insight into what your budget is or where you are coming from sometimes.  I want to buy books at my prices all the time,  doesn't mean the seller has to accommodate me.  

Sorry if you have said it recently but would you agree the Silver-Age key market is drying up from a dealer standpoint?  As a big comic buyer have you noticed a sharp decline in the number of big keys coming to market or are the books coming in the door pretty much like usual?

On 10/6/2019 at 6:57 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I posted this in Gold a couple days ago.

What a load of rubbish Kid!  Not a patch on the London Comic Fair!  Why, they don't even have any AF #15's!  

lol

Oh... :S

Capture.thumb.PNG.f154b0ee159126117b0a2a24fbc62a8e.PNG Capture2.thumb.PNG.f87217aef27916042057a1cb6ddbf911.PNG

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

I think I saw one for every day of the month in that video.

Indeed. Two a penny.

Now your Charlton romance books on the other hand... 

On 10/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, justafan said:

I just made a big purchase at NYCC and told the dealer something along those lines AFTER I bought the book and was thinking this exact thing as I was making the purchase and fully mean it but I never asked for any discount because of it.   I feel that's just poor form. If I ask for a discount or what is the best they can do it's at the beginning of the negotiation because I understand sometimes they either do or do not have wiggle room and or might be testing the waters with the convention shoppers, but mostly it's hard to believe someone nowadays when anyone uses that and you just don't want to be that guy. Don't be THAT guy.

Anyone that doesn't try to negotiate a discount of some sort is a fool with his money...2c