• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 8
3 3

359 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, aszumilo said:

I had 3.0 and 1.5.  Almost went with a 2.0, but, wouldn't have made any difference.

No, no it wouldnt lol 

dang.  At least you werent WAY off!

4 minutes ago, grebal said:

Az will be up there, but I also expect toro and TheGeneral to end among the top few, based on consistently placing there in past.

They have been amazingly lucky!

Edited by kav

Seriously though guys in the top-I applaud your skill-especially the ones who demonstrate it year after year.  I would never denigrate or lesson your accomplishments by suggesting luck played a large role.  Hats off to you guys.

IT would be a different contest if instead of CGC grade, the "bullseye" grade is the one that most (i.e. a plurality) collectors here assign - since in theory CGC is representative of the opinion of 'collectors'. 

So far this contest the books that would have ended with a 'bull' different than the grade CGC assigned - book 4 (Cap 117), 6 (BA 12), 8 (ASM 300), 11 (AA 89), and then both books this round.

Might make for a very different contest, imo, though it would probably affect several members' WAGs.

Edited by grebal
because pigs don't fly

3 minutes ago, grebal said:

IT would be a different contest if instead of CGC grade, the "bullseye" grade is the one that most (i.e. a plurality) collectors here assign - since in theory CGC is representative of the opinion of 'collectors'. 

So far this contest the books that would have ended with a 'bull' different than the grade CGC assigned - book 4 (Cap 117), 6 (BA 12), 8 (ASM 300), 11 (AA 89), and then both book this round.

Might make for a very different contest, imo, though it would probably affect several members' WAGs.

That would be a different contest and IMO wouldnt help people become better graders ie do like the experts.  I mean if you went on the popular consensus of how many planets there are you'd probably end up with a number like 5.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

That would be a different contest and IMO wouldnt help people become better graders ie do like the experts.  I mean if you went on the popular consensus of how many planets there are you'd probably end up with a number like 5.

If you asked astronomers?

Anyway, if you feel participating here on this board isn't expertise enough, you could disregard grades of anyone with too large a std deviation (i.e. too far off the mark too often).  Although then the plurality grade would change from round to round (as some people's WAGs suddenly got counted and others' WAGs became disregarded for the count of "most" common grade).

Edited by grebal

2 minutes ago, grebal said:

Anyway, if you feel participating here on this board isn't expertise enough, you could disregard grades of anyone with too large a std deviation (i.e. too far off the mark too often).  Although then the plurality grade would change from round to round (as some people's WAGs suddenly got counted and others' WAGs became disregarded for the count of "most" common grade).

Well if it was a question for the people in the field of course it would be a harder question like what amount of Hawking radiation would be emitted from a black hole of 10 solar masses.

7 minutes ago, grebal said:

You can't grade from a scan. You really can't even grade from outside a slab. These contests are fun...but they are only broadly indicative of a person's skill as a grader. No one is going to learn how to grade properly from looking at pictures on a monitor, no matter how many they look at. Lots of people are good guessers...and there is obviously a level of skill necessary to get to the right range...but people suggesting these are contests that measure anyone's skill don't understand how comic book grading actually works. 

The only way to become proficient at grading is to have the comic in your hands. The only way to become proficient at CGC's grading standards is to submit to CGC a lot, on a regular basis.

And yet CGC has hired previous winners of this seemingly pointless contest.  One is now a head grader, I hear.

20 minutes ago, grebal said:

RMA, I thought as you did until I saw consistent winners of this contest consistently continue to get them right. Year after year. 

I got 4th (6th?) place in March Madness this year. I've been hovering around the top 20 for most of this contest. I don't want to do the math, but I suspect a single grade level shift in 3-4 of my guesses would put me at the top...or near the bottom. A single grade change...and I waffled on the Aquaman, and told Andy and Sckao when I subbed....and I would be top 10 right now. A single grade level. If I hadn't guessed on the Archie at all, I'd be #9. 

Not to take away from those winners...but we're all grading books from a SCAN and through a SLAB. That's not how you grade comics.

How much is luck and how much is skill? Maybe 50/50. Certainly no less than that on the luck side, and maybe a lot more. And that's a lot of luck. And more so...? It's a guess of an opinion....an opinion that, in some cases, does not jive with the consensus (All American #89, for example.) Is the person who guessed 4.5 on the AA #89 a better grader than the people who guessed 3.0-3.5...?

My original comment wasn't, as someone suggested, "sour grapes", but to encourage people: this is just a guessing game, and those who are near the bottom, or even the middle, aren't necessarily bad "scan" graders. It's not about so-called "crashing and burning."  The total whiffs don't bother me in the slightest. It's the "2.5 when I grade it 3.0, or 9.4 when I grade it 9.2" It's frustration that the coin toss goes against you too many times, when it literally is a coin toss.

It's all fun, and it's certainly not supposed to be seen as any measure of any great skill...or lack thereof. That's the takeaway.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Just now, Harry Lime said:

Oh man. I way overgraded on both books. That's what I get for trying to be clever and anticipating Andy's gift grade submissions. The psychological emoji war has failed this year but he got me with the slabs!

Activate slab defense screen!

2 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Oh man. I way overgraded on both books. That's what I get for trying to be clever and anticipating Andy's gift grade submissions. The psychological emoji war has failed this year but he got me with the slabs!

I got an emoji defense screen but it was a cheap one off amazon and the :boo: emojis busted right thru it :sorry: