• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 148, Page 2 question.
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Original comic art is something I’m pretty new to.  I usually try to avoid asking questions like this but I’m stuck.  I’ve been offered page 2 of Fantastic Four 148.  I’m trying to figure out what a fair retail price would be.  Pricing comics themselves is not an issue for me, but pricing art is, being that I’m new to this area of collecting.  Below is the page I’m being offered for reference.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! 

009B2375-1810-49A5-AA1B-55F5C60540FF.jpeg

21 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I am not an expert on this stuff but I would put a range on it of $1500 to $2500

Wow.  That was more than I expected.  I like the page.  Not a ton of action unfortunately but still has characters in most panels.  Thank you!

I agree with Batman_Fan on the price range. The seller doesn’t have a set price on it?

If you can say more about what your trying to do? Make an offer? Etc. some of the boardies can give you advice on how to make a proper offer.

I’m seeing that practice more and more. It’s a neat page. 

Don’t hesitate to ask for help. There’s a few Jokers on here but the majority on the board are thoughtful.

Good luck

Rich Buckler is a terrific artist and Joe Sinnott inks insure this to be a nice investment for the soul. Down the road it should hold if not increase in value.

Edited by grapeape

1k seems reasonable.   Just ask yourself if you want/like the page.   If you don’t, don’t buy it, there will be something else.    If you will enjoy it, snatch it up!    The price he’s asking seems fine so it’s just a question of whether you will enjoy it in your collection.   Good luck.   If you want a vintage FF page and you’re looking to spend this sort of figure it’s not a bad option at all.

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Thanks @Bronty.  I’ll think it over.  Since this is a new ball game for me, I wasn’t sure if the price was super cheap, way high or just right. I definitely like the page.  Maybe I’ll give him a buzz today and see what happens.

Another way of looking at it is: any similar panel page (FF in costume, some action, main title), unless it was drawn in the last couple of years by a flunky is going to be $500+ (and depending on artists could be x10 or even x25 that!) So, if you're already "in" for something, your "risk" is only about $500 over the floor anyway. That's as risk-free as you'll get in comic art.

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

1k seems reasonable.   Just ask yourself if you want/like the page.   If you don’t, don’t buy it, there will be something else.    If you will enjoy it, snatch it up!    The price he’s asking seems fine so it’s just a question of whether you will enjoy it in your collection.   Good luck.   If you want a vintage FF page and you’re looking to spend this sort of figure it’s not a bad option at all.

Agree with Bronty.  It’s a solid FF page by Rich Buckler inked by Sinnott (who is tops) with a nice full team (Medusa had replaced Sue Storm) panel plus Fantasti-car and Baxter Building.   $1k seems fairly priced if you like the page. 

http://panelocityhomageswipes.blogspot.com/search/label/Fantastic Four %23148?updated-max=2014-05-08T10:00:00-04:00&max-results=20&start=37&by-date=false

I knew Buckler swiped from KIrby but I was sort of amazed to see that this blog has a 44-part series based entirely on finding Kirby images used to make only FF 148. 

3 hours ago, glendgold said:

http://panelocityhomageswipes.blogspot.com/search/label/Fantastic Four %23148?updated-max=2014-05-08T10:00:00-04:00&max-results=20&start=37&by-date=false

I knew Buckler swiped from KIrby but I was sort of amazed to see that this blog has a 44-part series based entirely on finding Kirby images used to make only FF 148. 

Holy Shyte!... that’s entertaining and informative. 

$1k seems very fair for that page.

That being said? As others have mentioned it literally all comes down to whether or not you WANT the page.  If you don't, then it's $1k too much. The only time price matters is when it's a page you want, and you compare that price to what you'd have to pay for other pages you'd like.

For example, a Buckler/Sinnott FF page is certainly something I'd love to have... however this particular one doesn't happen to speak to me.  But I'm not the one buying it.  The seller is asking a fair price, and when he finds the right buyer both buyer and seller will end up very very happy... so that's the best kind of transaction.

Just never buy something ONLY because of the price.

Good luck!!

8 hours ago, glendgold said:

Unreal. Someone had a deadline issue.

35 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Thanks everyone.  I’m still trying to decide what I’m going to do.  Knowing myself, I’ll probably wait too long and it will be gone.

I myself wouldn't be happy with the page.  It looks like a page I would like but not love.  The characters are pretty small in it. That said, it is an earlier page (isn't like over 40 years old !) and therefore has a desirability.