• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Creepy and They're Kooky...

13 posts in this topic

This thread could actually go in just about any thread here; the first books were published in the 40's and the most recent was from 2010, mostly reshuffling old material but with a few uncollected and unpublished items.  The subject came up in the paperback thread and I thought it would be fun since we're rapidly approaching Halloween:

01_Drawn_and_quartered.jpg

02_Addams_and_Evil.jpg

03_Monster_Rally.jpg

2 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Went to my 'LBS' today and bought a vintage hardback of 'Nightcrawlers'. Jacketless but handsome boards on a well-made (Simon and Schuster) book, and the big format is fun.

It took me about a year to track down all the books in hardcover with dust jackets.  Not terribly difficult; but it did take a little patience.  The hardcovers are so worth it compared to the paperbacks, you get the basic jokes but miss the details when they're printed at the smaller size.

I never read the original material although I’d like to some day.   When I was growing up it was all about the Addams Family pinball machine which I’d come to find out later is considered an all time classic.    My friends and I played it at least a couple times a week during lunch although it tended to devour my quarters really quickly since I had no experience with pinball.   As an adult it’s one of the items I had to track down, and I managed to locate and purchase the preliminary artwork for the back glass as well.  

8E6E08C9-DDE8-4C4B-BCF8-7C366662F16A.jpeg

57DCC36B-99DE-4AB4-9037-0439C6FAC92C.jpeg

Edited by Bronty

Love Addams's work and have every book.  He paved the way for Gahan Wilson and French cartoonist Claude Serre 

One thing about those New Yorker cartoonists, you could take any one of their books and be happy with the humor inside.   If you so desire you could rip out pages in the books and hang them framed on your wall.

Edited by Phantalien