• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused about why I got a 9.4

12 posts in this topic

I sent my first comic in, fully expecting a 9.8. I did not see anything wrong with the comic. I took it to a graded comic dealer friend and had him examine it first as well. He said it’s a 9.8 from what he can see. It was handled with gloves when packing and packed extremely well. I just got it back and CGC said there is a stain on the back and gave it a 9.4. There is literally nothing on the back at all. I even went over it with a magnifying glass. I’ve had 3 friends look it over as well. There is absolutely nothing on the book that any of us can see. Does anyone know what my options are here? Can I email them and challenge their grading?

Have you looked at it from various lightings?

It must be so minute you wouldn't be able to see it without some assistance (light, magnifying glass).  If it's a 9.4 with a stain, that stain is microscopic.  Normally, they will punish books with stains.  

9.8 is a very steep grade. If this is your first book submitted you may be finding out how difficult it is to get.  I had two copies of ASM 129 which I obtained at the same time from the newsstand. I failed to see any difference in them. One received a 9.4 which I thought to be accurate. The other? an 8.5 based on a tiny dot of color on the back cover that was clearly printer's ink, about  1/32 in diameter.  When Bob Storms was up here, he said he thought in general that I graded about a point too high, some a bit less. Out of all of my books, I only had the one 9.4. 

Again, if it's silver age or older, it's significant. If it's newer than that, it won't give monetary value unless it is one of very few books out there. 

On 10/8/2019 at 7:02 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC employs experts at grading. While they do rarely make mistakes, it's very likely that you're not observing the flaw. As has been mentioned - it could be on the inside of the back cover.

I agree that they are experts in the field, but obsequious isn't going to get you a job there....:baiting: