• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

proper size for bags

17 posts in this topic

i have many moden age comics and i would like to put them in poly bags,which size do you suggest me? current size comiccare?is it worth it? or should i choose silver age size? we are talking about modern age books and some bronze age

I've always used Silver Age bags and boards regardless. I was using these recently, as they're the only silver age bags that 1960's Charltons will fit into. They're too big for all the other brands and I'm too tight to buy Golden Age:

s-l400.jpg.556ac56682ada042bc2b389b11a99af5.jpg

Trouble is, after a while they go all crinkly. So I might have to bite the bullet and mylar up.

Why do comic bags go all crinkly anyway?

21 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've always used Silver Age bags and boards regardless. I was using these recently, as they're the only silver age bags that 1960's Charltons will fit into. They're too big for all the other brands and I'm too tight to buy Golden Age:

s-l400.jpg.556ac56682ada042bc2b389b11a99af5.jpg

Trouble is, after a while they go all crinkly. So I might have to bite the bullet and mylar up.

Why do comic bags go all crinkly anyway?

Dells can be a hassle too!Mylites are a bit more,but last longer I find.Thing is the SA size don't fit proper into long boxes,so I've started using mag size for about everything now.

7 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Dells can be a hassle too!Mylites are a bit more,but last longer I find.Thing is the SA size don't fit proper into long boxes,so I've started using mag size for about everything now.

Tell me about it Jim! Flipping pence Dell's need special bags and they then don't fit in regular comic boxes. And their bags go wrinkly too. Some of them look like an old man's scrotum.

lol

I made myself laugh there. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Tell me about it Jim! Flipping pence Dell's need special bags and they then don't fit in regular comic boxes. And their bags go wrinkly too. Some of them look like an old man's scrotum.

lol

:cloud9: Good times.These are the days of our lives :banana:

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

Never use Current, ever.  Do everything in Regular.  I personally use Silver for anything not in a mylite, but you won't need the extra space.

are there regular size poly bags? current size may cause wrinkles in the book?

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

lol

I just compared my scrotum to a bagged and boarded book I have in an old wrinkled comic bag  and I honestly don't think the comic bag looks that bad!

14 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I just compared my scrotum to a bagged and boarded book I have in an old wrinkled comic bag  and I honestly don't think the comic bag looks that bad!

awweee you sat in gum!! 

1 hour ago, a.breton said:

are there regular size poly bags? current size may cause wrinkles in the book?

Regular is what I see the local stores using.  I think both BCW and Ultra-Pro call that size Regular.  It's more common than Silver, and should be a touch cheaper.  You don't want to use Current because it's always too close to the size of the book.  If you don't have any extra board around the book, then the cardboard offers no protection against bumps.

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Pictures or it didn't ha- :sumo: Oh, no, actually, yes. Yes, yes I believe you. Really. No need for pictures. Really. 

The material that poly bags are made from is Acidic and breaks down over time causing the acids to be released and over time will damage the book they are protecting, that is why they become "Yellow" and "Crinkly" and it is recommended to replace all poly bags every 5 years or so, Mylar is a Acid Free, Inert Material that does not break down, using a Mylite you are "one and done".

I have some books that have been in the same 1 Mil Mylite for 35 years.

As far as size, I was always told to use the bag that allows the book to fit comfortably without squeezing the edges/bending the book or having too much room so it moves around, so you want the "Goldilocks" bag, the one that is "just right".