• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Probable 9.9 to 10 Daredevil 190 (x2), how to proceed?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Hi, first post here so be gentle.

In 1983, the first day it hit the shops, I bought 2 Daredevil #190 (with the Canadian and U.K. prices in
the upper left). I put them in a protective cover, laid them flat, covered them, and put them away. I am
moving my storage unit and came across these again.

So I am wondering what they might be worth, what grading process to choose, if there is a market,
and how fast they might sell?

I am also wondering what the mark down from fair market value I might get if I sell it to a dealer
without grading it?

Thanks for reading.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, JohnAM said:

In 1983, the first day it hit the shops, I bought 2 Daredevil #190 (with the Canadian and U.K. prices in
the upper left). I put them in a protective cover, laid them flat, covered them, and put them away. I am

So I am wondering what they might be worth, what grading process to choose, if there is a market,

I am also wondering what the mark down from fair market value I might get if I sell it to a dealer
without grading it?

Thanks for reading.

welcome.

1.  No disrespect, but generally it is SUPER SUPER rare to get a 9.9 or 10.0.  That would essentially mean perfection, flawlessness in every aspect.  The fact that you put it in protective cover in the 80's is not unique to you.  That being said, it is not impossible, and you might be a person who has them.

2.  If you would like some free grading advice, there is a subforum here (dig around a bit) where you can post pictures of your comics and ask people to give their grading opinions on your comics.

3.  For realizeable prices, you can look ebay for 'sold' listings to see how much issues have sold for in the past.  You can look up the prices for CGC graded issues and for ungraded issues.  This would be for an idea, of course the grade is the biggest factor.  Also a factor might be the fact that you are likely in the UK, which might impact the size of your potential market.

4.  After you see the prices of selling ungraded vs CGC slabbed (make sure to consider grades), you can look up the prices of how much it is to submit to CGC for grading (there's a UK office).  Then work out your own math of costs vs potential sale prices and see if its worth it for you. 

5.  If you're selling to a dealer, you should expect to get less than half of the market value (dealer's have to make money too).

6.  Honestly, unless you really have truly flawless comics, it is likely not worth it to grade these comics, and you should be happy to take $10 to $20 for BOTH comics, but probably less.

Hi, it's very hard to have 30+ year old comics be in 9.9 to 10.0 shape

Raw copies (U.S.) prob sell in the $1-10 range on Ebay - seems to be several recently unsold Canadian copies on Ebay that were asking $20-$30

You can go to a site like Watchount.com and use their Ebay Sold Listings tools to get a feel for how many sell vs don't

There's a "Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" forum here where you can post pics/scans to get opinions on the condition. Forum sticky has the details

Sorry, but it's improbable that your copies are Mint or Gem Mint.

Even if they're in the same condition as you bought them 30 years ago, 9.9/10 suggests that they were printed perfectly and show no signs of handling. It's simply highly unlikely. Just want you to lower your expectations.

The 2 users above have covered the other stuff for you.

First submissions can be eye opening. I still have never gotten a 9.8. This includes books I bought off the rack and boarded/bagged in the 80's. Even though they look perfect, they tend to come back 9.4 with an occasional 9.2 or 9.6. Judging 9.8's is an art that escapes me.  I can usually nail the grade on anything 9.0 or below.

1 hour ago, WoWitHurts said:

There is no such thing as a 9.9/10. Yes, CGC has put some on labels but those same books removed an resubbed to CGC they would not get that grade IMO.

Nonsense. I've cracked blue label 9.9's and had them come back as yellow label 9.9s.

I don’t go by cgcs grading, I use Overstreets. I can’t use their ridiculous grading because 1) No book is absolutely perfect. 2) Writing on a book whether it’s a signature or not takes away from the grade. 3) A book missing pages shouldn’t get a high grade either but they assign a grade as if the pages were there and stick a qualified label on it. Honestly if a books missing pages it shouldn’t get a grade as if it had those missing pages. It’s utterly ridiculous and why I go by overstreets grading definitions. And generally don’t buy signed books anyway. 

Edited by Corona smith

8 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I don’t go by cgcs grading, I use Overstreets. I can’t use their ridiculous grading because 1) No book is absolutely perfect. 2) Writing on a book whether it’s a signature or not takes away from the grade. 3) A book missing pages shouldn’t get a high grade either but they assign a grade as if the pages were there and stick a qualified label on it. Honestly if a books missing pages it shouldn’t get a grade as if it had those missing pages. It’s utterly ridiculous and why I go by overstreets grading definitions. And generally don’t buy signed books anyway. 

Q: hey, should I bet the astros over the Nationals in the World Series?

A:  I don’t watch baseball anymore.  I don’t like the overshift of infielders.  I just watch games I taped in the 80’s the game is more pure.  

Wasn’t trying to troll but I have an opinion and there’s a difference between the twos grading definitions. If No one can respond in a civil manner I’ll just leave it be but I have valid points. I don’t seek out signed books but I have several and I’d like them better if they weren’t signed. 

Edited by Corona smith

On 10/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, JohnAM said:

without grading it?

Thanks for reading.

they are only worth a few bucks  :sorry:check eBay sold listings

Does anyone have the link to the thread of the boardie who had multiple unopened cases of a Spawn book and subbed something like the best 30 copies without getting a 9.9 (I tired to find it but couldn't). Linking that thread might give the OP a better idea of just how hard it really is to get a 9.9 or 10.