• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I lost my #1 ranking to a tie???

9 posts in this topic

I've had the top ranked Happy! set for the last few years, 9.8's across the board with 1 SS in there. I hadn't checked the registry because my set is complete so when I opened my Registry Award packet and saw there wasn't one for Happy! I looked at the registry and I lost because someone else tied my score.

We both have 1 SS copy of #1 in our sets, his is the regular cover, mine is the variant. Both are worth 26 points so that shouldn't be the tie breaker.

As the reigning champ I should be passed and not tied to lose my position.

Please explain how and why this is possible, better yet fix it

Yeah that stinks.  I've seen that a few times and don't understand it myself. I've also seen ties where people get the same rank (i.e. Marvel Super Hero's Secret Wars there are 6 people ranked at #14).  I agree with @onlyweaknesskryptonite it should default to who got there first (for the top spot).

Edited by Xenosmilus

• Administrator

What happens when there is a tie?

The CGC Registry will first rank by score and, in the event of a tie, the Registry will determine which set has the highest percentage of comic images. If the score and percentage of images is equal between two sets, then the percentage of comic descriptions will be considered. To break it down, ranking is achieved in this order:

1. Set score

2. Percentage of comics with images

3. Percentage of comics with descriptions

If all of the above items are equal between sets, then sets will be sorted by the date the rank was achieved (first to achieve it will appear higher), but they will have the same rank number beside their set.

This information is located here:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/about-registry.aspx

48 minutes ago, TheGirlHasNoName said:

What happens when there is a tie?

The CGC Registry will first rank by score and, in the event of a tie, the Registry will determine which set has the highest percentage of comic images. If the score and percentage of images is equal between two sets, then the percentage of comic descriptions will be considered. To break it down, ranking is achieved in this order:

1. Set score

2. Percentage of comics with images

3. Percentage of comics with descriptions

If all of the above items are equal between sets, then sets will be sorted by the date the rank was achieved (first to achieve it will appear higher), but they will have the same rank number beside their set.

This information is located here:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/about-registry.aspx

Now I understand that pics and descriptions do have value at some point.  From looking at many #1 sets it didn’t seem like they did. Wondered why so many people with these awesome sets would let them sit there for years without pics/descriptions!  Sorry the OP lost the #1 spot but nice to finally understand this.  Seems that all they have to do is get pics and descriptions in there to regain it. Thanks for the info Mollie!

On 10/5/2019 at 9:03 PM, Lonzilla said:

I've had the top ranked Happy! set for the last few years, 9.8's across the board with 1 SS in there. I hadn't checked the registry because my set is complete so when I opened my Registry Award packet and saw there wasn't one for Happy! I looked at the registry and I lost because someone else tied my score.

We both have 1 SS copy of #1 in our sets, his is the regular cover, mine is the variant. Both are worth 26 points so that shouldn't be the tie breaker.

As the reigning champ I should be passed and not tied to lose my position.

Please explain how and why this is possible, better yet fix it

Sounds like you should upload pictures of the front and back covers just to be safe!:ohnoez:

• Administrator
On 10/7/2019 at 11:49 AM, Iconic1s said:

Now I understand that pics and descriptions do have value at some point.  From looking at many #1 sets it didn’t seem like they did. Wondered why so many people with these awesome sets would let them sit there for years without pics/descriptions!  Sorry the OP lost the #1 spot but nice to finally understand this.  Seems that all they have to do is get pics and descriptions in there to regain it. Thanks for the info Mollie!

Pictures and personal descriptions are also how you win "Best Presented."

:foryou: 

Good Luck!