• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comics...I AM OUT!

77 posts in this topic

OUT!    O....U....T!    OWT!!!  

I hated calling my LCS and telling him to remove my pull list, but fact is:  I am not keeping up with the reading, and quite frankly, don't enjoy the new stuff anymore.    My pull list was about 10 per month last year, down to 4 right now.  He is a super nice guy.  I know my $16-$20 per month of new pulls will not make or break him, but it is still hitting his bottom line.    I love my LCS, but the new stuff just doesn't do it for me. 

I am strictly looking to build my Silver and Bronze (maybe Copper), and fill in holes.  Unfortunately, he seems to be struggling finding inventory for his shop.  It doesn't come through the door like it used to.

I also culled my pull list at my LCS ( which just won an award for best Comic Store in Canada ). Also very nice people.

It pained me to cut books as I would like to see them be successful. While I know the stores don't make a ton off of new comic sales they do make something, and buyers are likely to purchase other things while in the store. I am usually buying a trade to read every visit and I was going to the store every new comic day.

I am down to books I absolutely do read: Conan and Conan related titles so I am now going once a month.

I tend to read a lot of Image titles now, in digital format, when the trade collections are on sale for as little as £2-99, and few Marvel and DC.  Lots of good material still being published if you look around.

I stopped going to the LCS in 2010. I got bored with the routine, it was a demanding journey for me to make, and I gradually made the exercise redundant by cutting my regular titles down more and more as prices increased. Like conventions and marts, it was something I should’ve given up years earlier, but I’m very stubborn.  I don’t miss it at all.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'm only setting aside Shazam because I'm trying to have one of every Captain Marvel book for all time.  I'm reading them, but they're not very good.  Everything else will come to me in bulk long boxes one day, no point paying cover.

I stopped mine too but not because I didn’t like the content.  I’ve actually enjoyed many of the image titles and even some of the new valiant but my pull was over a dozen titles and I was filling short boxes quickly.  So I started buying them in digital again and I’m happy with that.  There are still a couple I buy in print form but for the most part I stick to digital.  There are some very good titles out there, both indie and mainstream.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

It’s not all bad, Kav.

Brubaker Phillips stuff is always good-except for that awful Kill or be Killed with the Manos Hands of Fate ending-

I still read plenty of new comics. Rarely in floppy format though. I’m reading my first super hero story in a decade or so right now. Not enjoying it in the slightest. Reminded me how stupid the stuff between those cool covers is

I stopped my pull-list last year as well and switched to pre-ordering from MCS for that 35% discount.  The publishers finally priced me right out of my LCS.  Those $4.99, $7.99, and now $9.99 books just got to be too much.  These days I just drop by the LCS when they have a 50% off sale on back issues and to pick up supplies. 

I felt bad for my LCS when I stopped. I liked my weekly chat in there. They didn't do back issues of any note so, once I stopped, I had no reason to go there anymore. You can't just pop in for a chat and never buy anything, can you? So a relationship of many years came to a halt because Marvel couldn't stop pumping out low quality tosh in huge numbers with a bazillion variants for every issue. If I'm honest, I spent the last few years buying for the sake of it. I could afford it then, £29.99 for a one in fifty. Now, not only can I not, but I wouldn't want to. £29.99 in the heat of the moment. A fiver in a few months when the heat has died down. Apart from the occasional ASM #667 type anomaly that is. Stopping was the right decison. But I do miss talking comics, music, TV and film with the guys in my LCS. 

5 hours ago, kav said:

Brubaker Phillips stuff is always good-except for that awful Kill or be Killed with the Manos Hands of Fate ending-

Good choice.

They’ve been quite prolific with the crime noir material, snd a great team.