• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comics...I AM OUT!

77 posts in this topic

I have thought about canceling my pull at my LCS as well. But Ive been going there for almost 25 years and I was having a hard time quitting the new stuff.

I mainly collect Batman and a few image titles. One of the reasons I was thinking about canceling was Batman is now twice a month at $3.99. I think tom kings batman is to hit or miss for me and it drives me crazy!

Now the reason I havnt stopped is about 2 years ago a new comic shop opened...with a twist...they offer 50% everything on mondays and 50% off new comics (Within 90 days) on Wednesday! so i added a few books. Since I can get 5 books for $11. 

Now this has caused me to read new books and im getting to many and need to cut back because I dont have the time to read all the new stuff and read my new PCH or others.

so im torn on quitting at the moment...

I still get pulls from my LCS but they are never from Marvel or DC unless they are written by a select few writers.   I grew bored of Marvel when the Ultimate stuff came out.  Geoff Johns wrote so much I just grabbed the TPB.    One of the things my friends were talking about recently is about how there was a over saturation of comics that all needed to follow some event story line and you needed to have vested interest for many months or over a year for multiple books instead of just one book.  Not to mention the fact that you don't really get those 3-5 book stories anymore.   

I was hyped about New 52 and was loyal for quite some time. Then when they decided to rebirth, renumber, then go back to the old number system I was officially done.

I would pick up TPBs online when they become available but I'm not in a rush.

Becoming a “trade waiter” has made new books a lot more fun for me. I roll my eyes real hard at those that say moderns suck. Nah, man, you just don’t care to give different ones a chance. So be it I guess. Be an old grouch. There’s still real talent and great stories out there. Now, if it’s a $$$ thing I understand. Those 4.99 cover prices do suck. 

I really enjoy watching Omnidogs Vault on YouTube, he’s a guy in his 60’s who grew up on silver age comics and loved them but also collects new books and loves them too. 

It's almost ten years since I ceased my pull/wanted list.

Just follow the fad if any book is hot. I will grab them.  Yep, they are pricey books. Some stories are same over and over (most of them are re-birth and re-written) - nothing new. They are not great resale too.

My last variant cover was Wolverine #1 (he wore Deadpool suit) by J Scott Campbell.  I have Stan Lee and J Scott Campbell signed on my book. It was a great sale. That was the last time ever since.  I missed the excitement.

I stopped my pull when I moved to Colorado.  Planned to restart it when I got to the state but when I looked at the stuff I was getting and never even opening decided to quite.  Since then, I have supported my local shop by buying back issues and some of the various masterworks books, especially GA Timely reprints.  No regrets stopping buying new books.

20 hours ago, the blob said:

I never to say never to new comics after I took a chance on Walking Dead #1 way back when and bought 1,000 copies. My retirement is pretty much set as is college for the kids, assuming they go to state schools.

I saw WD#1 the day it came out. Looked through it and decided the story looked lame and the art was terrible. Put it back. As long as the show stays on, your kids might have an education. Once it is canceled...

I am close to closing my list. I still get Batman, Love & Rockets, and the Dark Horse Aliens Books. Love & Rockets is, like ,quarterly, so that's no big strain on the budget or storage. Plus, it's Love and Rockets. It's great.

The Aliens books come out whenever DH feels like it, apparently, so that's not a steady drain on resources or space either. I can't say I've really enjoyed the recent series, but I've read worse. But that really is more about my Alien/Aliens collecting OCD, than it is about comic collecting.

But Batman is twice a month, two covers per issue, and I'm starting to get tired of the simple act of bagging, boarding, and filing the issues away every month. I prefer to read digitally or in hardcovers (especially when the stories are so decompressed these days) and I'm wondering if it's finally time to say so long to the Dark Knight in floppy form. BUT, that being said, my LCS still gets a ton of money from me, in the form of toys, movies, back issues, and all kinds of stuff. I'm in there a couple of times a week. So that $8 a month they'd miss from me on Batman is still well compensated for by my other purchases.

I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Dropping Batman is finally admitting to the end of an era. I bought Batman every month, even in my leanest years in my 20's when I really couldn't afford to buy anything at all. I haven't missed an issue since I was a kid. Dropping it will be bittersweet, but at the same time, possibly cathartic.  Plus, if I drop it, I'll probably go ahead and sell off my back issues, which would generate a nice chunk of change as well as clear up a lot of space. 

But still...it's Batman. Just can't do it...yet.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

i always mention immortal hulk because people tend to like it

i hear "the house of X" reboot of x-men is on fire...

Both are fantastic titles.  Slott's Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man are also really good reads these days.  Lots of good stuff to like in new titles these days; I hate seeing that people are dropping them.

42 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I am close to closing my list. I still get Batman, Love & Rockets, and the Dark Horse Aliens Books. Love & Rockets is, like ,quarterly, so that's no big strain on the budget or storage. Plus, it's Love and Rockets. It's great.

The Aliens books come out whenever DH feels like it, apparently, so that's not a steady drain on resources or space either. I can't say I've really enjoyed the recent series, but I've read worse. But that really is more about my Alien/Aliens collecting OCD, than it is about comic collecting.

But Batman is twice a month, two covers per issue, and I'm starting to get tired of the simple act of bagging, boarding, and filing the issues away every month. I prefer to read digitally or in hardcovers (especially when the stories are so decompressed these days) and I'm wondering if it's finally time to say so long to the Dark Knight in floppy form. BUT, that being said, my LCS still gets a ton of money from me, in the form of toys, movies, back issues, and all kinds of stuff. I'm in there a couple of times a week. So that $8 a month they'd miss from me on Batman is still well compensated for by my other purchases.

I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Dropping Batman is finally admitting to the end of an era. I bought Batman every month, even in my leanest years in my 20's when I really couldn't afford to buy anything at all. I haven't missed an issue since I was a kid. Dropping it will be bittersweet, but at the same time, possibly cathartic.  Plus, if I drop it, I'll probably go ahead and sell off my back issues, which would generate a nice chunk of change as well as clear up a lot of space. 

But still...it's Batman. Just can't do it...yet.

I had Batman from 1 to 61x when I quit buying. Really hard to stop buying but once I made that change zero regret 

I quit buying Moderns with Simpsons #100. I know, probably a lame title to most, but I enjoyed it. 

Got sucked back in for a few months with the “New 52” but quickly got bored with them. The price was a bit of a factor. For the same price I was paying for them, I could buy GA/SA/BA readers that I actually enjoyed a lot more. 

I realized I was basically buying them out of habit and just storing them. They were taking up a lot of space I could put to better use with older books. 

I missed the store experience for a while but got over it quickly. 

On 10/6/2019 at 12:42 AM, kav said:

Brubaker Phillips stuff is always good-except for that awful Kill or be Killed with the Manos Hands of Fate ending-

I enjoyed that series, except for the ending.   Criminal was much more interesting (albeit somewhat predictable).  

They do good stuff together but nothing I would call a game changer.  Great reads as trades.