• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comics...I AM OUT!

77 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I enjoyed that series, except for the ending.   Criminal was much more interesting (albeit somewhat predictable).  

They do good stuff together but nothing I would call a game changer.  Great reads as trades.   

Yes I only read the trades.  Incognito was almost a game changer and I could see that as a movie.

58 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes I only read the trades.

It was more focused that the Hollywood story and less trippy than the immortal female demon one (can't recall names for some reason). I thought the art took a notch up in that series. The art was better than in the current new Criminal series, more moody, more researched and more expressive.

10 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

It was more focused that the Hollywood story and less trippy than the immortal female demon one (can't recall names for some reason). I thought the art took a notch up in that series. The art was better than in the current new Criminal series, more moody, more researched and more expressive.

You think Sean phillips is taking short cuts nowadays?  

Phillips is a good artist.  I like his stuff, but it’s pretty much the same as Maleev (sp?).  
Agree that you could easily adapt a Brubaker/Phillips book to screen.  It could be a nice homage to some classic crime noir.  But it’s not “original”.

Same vein as “Sin City”.  Really good, but been done before.  Similar (same?) as some of the pre-superhero Bendis books that were great (Jinx, Goldfish, etc).  Great reads, but nothing truly original.  

Criminal would make a really good Netflix/Prime original series.  Each arc could be a season.  

17 minutes ago, kav said:

You think Sean phillips is taking short cuts nowadays?  

I wouldn't say short cuts. Probably more designed and less illustrated. I enjoy the latter better.

Edited by Scrooge

I bought The Batman Who Laughs because the character looked interesting and I figured if I bought the trade the story would be pretty self contained. I open it and read page one and realize it’s a sequel to Dark Knights: Metal. So I buy that and wait a week for it to arrive. It does. It starts in what appears to be the middle of the story and about once every ten pages there’s an asterisk with a note to read another story the plot involves in a pretty annoying way. The thing is though, Marvel and DC didn’t just get like this. It’s been this way for 30+ years. I’m simply not a fan. It’s impossible for me to enjoy anything in continuity, and possibly anything at all involving Marvel and DC superhero IP because of this. Maybe I’ll try again in another decade

At least it’s not a floppy. Then it would be exactly the same except I’d have to figure out for myself which order to read each issue in, at about 25 cents per page, and story interrupting ads littering the comic

1 hour ago, justafan said:

I'm at the point where I plan on telling my LCS I'm cancelling my subs each time I go in to pick up my subs.  But then I end up just paying and walk out.  Damn it why can't I just quit you!

Maybe I should just call or text them to cancel.

I just find my enjoyment of new comics waning.  Some stories are ok, (I enjoyed the recent Kraven ASM run), but those are becoming less and less.  When I walk out with 4 books and throw them in pile and don't read them for months and months, then I knew it was time to stop.  I try and read EVERYTHING I buy.  I'd rather use my $20 a month and find a mid grad Silver or Bronze book. 

On 10/8/2019 at 1:30 AM, justafan said:

I'm at the point where I plan on telling my LCS I'm cancelling my subs each time I go in to pick up my subs.  But then I end up just paying and walk out.  Damn it why can't I just quit you!

Maybe I should just call or text them to cancel.

I took that step a few years ago basically because I have one rule in collecting and that is never pay for something unless you can get the value back! I had a full run less three issues of Spider-man all his titles up to 700 and one-shots, however I've found that the price I was paying at the last time I bought one was a lot more than I could ever sell them for in the future, all I read was DREK DREK DREK!:bigsmile:  So I stepped back and just concentrated on back issues I missed but NOT movie related (over valued) issues just good stories.(thumbsu I'm HAPPY!

download.jpg

On 10/8/2019 at 2:35 AM, catman76 said:

There's so many great new comics coming out all the time, more than ever probably. But you ain't gonna find any of it at a comic store or in anything DC and Marvel put out.

That applies all over doesn't it, alas. Certainly to music. It's out there, but not necessarily where you would expect to find it.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, Scrooge said:

Fatale

On 10/5/2019 at 11:29 PM, shatter998 said:

I stopped my pull-list last year as well and switched to pre-ordering from MCS for that 35% discount.  The publishers finally priced me right out of my LCS.  Those $4.99, $7.99, and now $9.99 books just got to be too much.  These days I just drop by the LCS when they have a 50% off sale on back issues and to pick up supplies. 

I did the same about a year ago as well.  The constant stream of events, relevant tie-ins, and bi-monthly books just got to be too much on my wallet (30 books/month, $120+).  I either cut back while staying loyal to my LCS or I switched to DCBS.  I ultimately chose DCBS due to the ~40% cost savings.  Even now though, I find myself cutting back my titles b/c i'm finding it more laborsome to read some titles that I've simply lost interest in.

I stopped really collecting past 1998 heroes reborn/return. Once marvel rebooted everything it felt different, aside from busieks avengers nothing felt like what I read in the 80’s.

i now focus on silver and bronze. I just completed my almost full fantastic four run (missing #1 #4 #5)  I just bought everything post heroes reborn where the numbering gets all screwed up. 1-70 500-588 600-611

i also, being a completist I bought the next two volumes limited run and now Dan slotts ultra crappy new FF. His writing is garbage but the completist in me buys anyway hoping a writer who halfway understands action and characters shows up. 

modern writing, especially the last few years has been total drek. New young writers my age (42) or younger who don’t understand the characters, don’t write dynamic action and it’s all sitting around making quips and trying to out clever everyone and use modern slang. I don’t want to her The Thing talk about Memes. Doctor Doom should not be swearing and smacking TV hosts and acting like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person politician.

this is not to mention all the Pc race gender swapping etc etc ( I’m liberal btw) and pandering to anime manga art fans. Nothing is like it used to be and I prefer the way it used to be so thankfully there’s 1961-1998 marvel I can still buy and enjoy. (Though really it’s more like 61-91) 

Everyone’s going nuts for Hickman’s house of x but it’s just more convoluted nonsense. 

Edited by ORRGO THE UNCONQUERABLE
Spelling

5 hours ago, ORRGO THE UNCONQUERABLE said:

I stopped really collecting past 1998 heroes reborn/return. Once marvel rebooted everything it felt different, aside from busieks avengers nothing felt like what I read in the 80’s.

i now focus on silver and bronze. I just completed my almost full fantastic four run (missing #1 #4 #5)  I just bought everything post heroes reborn where the numbering gets all screwed up. 1-70 500-588 600-611

i also, being a completist I bought the next two volumes limited run and now Dan slotts ultra crappy new FF. His writing is garbage but the completist in me buys anyway hoping a writer who halfway understands action and characters shows up. 

modern writing, especially the last few years has been total drek. New young writers my age (42) or younger who don’t understand the characters, don’t write dynamic action and it’s all sitting around making quips and trying to out clever everyone and use modern slang. I don’t want to her The Thing talk about Memes. Doctor Doom should not be swearing and smacking TV hosts and acting like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person politician.

this is not to mention all the Pc race gender swapping etc etc ( I’m liberal btw) and pandering to anime manga art fans. Nothing is like it used to be and I prefer the way it used to be so thankfully there’s 1961-1998 marvel I can still buy and enjoy. (Though really it’s more like 61-91) 

Everyone’s going nuts for Hickman’s house of x but it’s just more convoluted nonsense. 

Hey, I only need FF 1, 3, & 4. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to get them. Like you, I have volumes 2 through whatever volume is current, plus annuals, minis, and one-shots. No regrets, though. It's soothing to know there's order in those longboxes.

2 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

Hey, I only need FF 1, 3, & 4. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to get them. Like you, I have volumes 2 through whatever volume is current, plus annuals, minis, and one-shots. No regrets, though. It's soothing to know there's order in those longboxes.

Nice! Another serious FF collector. Curious - how old are you? I don’t find many people my age or younger that would get a full FF run. 

On 10/7/2019 at 6:48 PM, dupont2005 said:

I bought The Batman Who Laughs because the character looked interesting and I figured if I bought the trade the story would be pretty self contained. I open it and read page one and realize it’s a sequel to Dark Knights: Metal. So I buy that and wait a week for it to arrive. It does. It starts in what appears to be the middle of the story and about once every ten pages there’s an asterisk with a note to read another story the plot involves in a pretty annoying way. The thing is though, Marvel and DC didn’t just get like this. It’s been this way for 30+ years. I’m simply not a fan. It’s impossible for me to enjoy anything in continuity, and possibly anything at all involving Marvel and DC superhero IP because of this. Maybe I’ll try again in another decade

Yes...problem is too that they cannot seem to make up their minds where the characters first appearance is either

Knull venom 3 or Thor 6

Major X spiderman/deadpool 40 or Major X 1

Batman who laughs

Dark knights metal 2

Casting 1

Teen Titans 12

And if your interested in first appearances for value sake than it can get pretty costly