• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 9
3 3

272 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

You have been weighed. You have been measured. And you have definitely been found wanting. Something like that?

Maybe you should be looking forward to the reveal tomorrow.  Because that is spot on. :)

13 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Maybe you should be looking forward to the reveal tomorrow.  Because that is spot on. :)

One of my fav movies. A guilty pleasure I guess. Never would win any awards, but loved it anyway and watched many times. My favorite sequence (lets see how close I get):

What a pair we make. Both trying to hide who we really are. Both unable to do so. Your men love you (what about the lady blacksmith standing behind him with a hammer? she didn't count?). If I knew nothing else about you that would be enough. But you also tilt when you should withdraw. And that is knightly too. Release him! He may appear to be of humble origins but my historians have discovered he comes from an ancient royal line. This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation! And now, if I may repay the kindness you once showed me. Take a knee. By the power ?? my father King ?? and by all the witnesses here, I dub thee Sir William. Arise Sir William. ... then something about jousting and a tournament to finish.

17 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

I can quote from that movie and The Crow. That's about it.

EDIT: And Tombstone. The good version with Val Kilmer.

I too am a fan of Knight's Tale. :)

As for Val Kilmer and Tombstone.... I recently had the best experience over the summer.  Met Micheal Biehn. The Convention wasn't busy so was able to talk to him for about 10-15 minutes.  It was fantastic.  Walked up and started the conversation with "Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave!"  Then proceeded to tell him how I hated him for the last roughly 20 years for playing Johnny Ringo.  We talked about my kids, his kids, grandkids, etcs.  It was really quite awesome.  Made my love for the movie even more honestly.

3 hours ago, Crops068 said:

As for Val Kilmer and Tombstone.... I recently had the best experience over the summer.  Met Micheal Biehn. The Convention wasn't busy so was able to talk to him for about 10-15 minutes.  It was fantastic.  Walked up and started the conversation with "Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave!"  Then proceeded to tell him how I hated him for the last roughly 20 years for playing Johnny Ringo.  We talked about my kids, his kids, grandkids, etcs.  It was really quite awesome.  Made my love for the movie even more honestly.

This is the greatest thing I have ever heard!

Ps on Tombstone-they couldnt get costumes because they were all being rented out by Costner's Wyatt Earp which was filming at the same time.  So they had to make theirs mostly and rely on old west afficiando groups to come in with their clothing and equipment to add to the realism.  They actually set up those tent camps and lived in em during filming.  The first thing the costume designer realized is that most westerns are full of greys and browns, because and only because they are looking at old photos and there was no color photography.  Research showed a wild use of color in the old west with clothing imported from europe so they went in that direction.  Tombstone is one of the if not the most realistically costumed western films ever made.

Most historians agree that neither Doc Holliday nor Wyatt Earp killed Johnny Ringo.  Holliday was was in Salida, Colorado, about 670 miles away at the time and Earp changed his story so many times and his facts never lined up with reality.  Most likely some other enemy of Ringo's was the one that pulled their smoke wagon on him and was his Huckleberry.

Edited by kav

3 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Very cool! Sounds like a really nice guy. Although I wonder how many times over the past 25 years someone walked up to him and said "Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave". You are lucky he didn't stab you in the neck with his autograph pen lol

My closest brush with greatness was seeing Babe Laufenberg at a gas station off I-20 outside of Dallas. He was screaming at one of his kids to go get back in the car with Mom.

27 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Very cool! Sounds like a really nice guy. Although I wonder how many times over the past 25 years someone walked up to him and said "Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave". You are lucky he didn't stab you in the neck with his autograph pen lol

My closest brush with greatness was seeing Babe Laufenberg at a gas station off I-20 outside of Dallas. He was screaming at one of his kids to go get back in the car with Mom.

He probably gets more "looking for sarah connor" comments tho maybe this was a refreshing change.

Just now, WPPJames said:

:| from @sckao. If I can get 4 points out of this round I'll be happy.

I got the same .... and a :eyeroll: from greenham....

I'm really thinking that my brain is a bit fried from this contest, I graded my value sub a lot better than this contest :( 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I got the same .... and a :eyeroll: from greenham....

I'm really thinking that my brain is a bit fried from this contest, I graded my value sub a lot better than this contest :( 

I'm all for self deprecating humor. As such I will reveal that my response from greenham was:

"Can you post your grades again, please?  X.X is not a CGC grade :gossip: "

It was a typo, but still damn embarrassing.

30 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Over the years I have spent time with a few various celebrities from playing poker with Phil Laak at E3, spending hours with Cindy Morgan (lived with a friend), an entire evening with Jon St John (voice of Duke Nukem), etc.  I generally don't fan boy out.  I did at this con.  Micheal Biehn, Adrian Paul, C. Thomas Howell and Ray Park.  Was pretty fantastic.  And yeah I am sure he has heard that line a whole bunch of bunches over the years now. lol

P.S. @kav I have been upgraded to double :boo: now from greenham and sckao. lol

5 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Over the years I have spent time with a few various celebrities from playing poker with Phil Laak at E3, spending hours with Cindy Morgan (lived with a friend), an entire evening with Jon St John (voice of Duke Nukem), etc.  I generally don't fan boy out.  I did at this con.  Micheal Biehn, Adrian Paul, C. Thomas Howell and Ray Park.  Was pretty fantastic.  And yeah I am sure he has heard that line a whole bunch of bunches over the years now. lol

P.S. @kav I have been upgraded to double :boo: now from greenham and sckao. lol

:pullhair:

because we are both fans of tombstone they put you on their 'list' I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

And yeah I am sure he has heard that line a whole bunch of bunches over the years now

No doubt lol. The fact you didn't leave the convention with his sig pen lodged in your neck indicates he's a pretty cool Dude (for you Kav).

I've always wanted to meet Dawn Wells. Had a crush on her since the time I was 8 years old up until ... however old I am now. 50 something. I spoke with a guy once who's business was basically booking celebs for shows and conventions. Very interesting conversation. I forget all the details, but seems like his company paid them a set fee up front and then hopefully made a profit by charging people like you and me for admission / sigs / etc. He and his partner were responsible for transportation to and from airport; the show and I think sometimes dinners. He had a lot of stories about which celebs were really nice and down to earth and which ones were d*cks. He said Dawn was super nice. He said the absolute worst was Stephanie Powers.