• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader Notes when below 9.8
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, do all issues under 9.8 receive grader notes? I've submitted about 20 or so overall, and all 9.8's have no grader notes and 9.6's and less do.... until i got back one 9.6 submission with no notes. Is that typical?

19 minutes ago, HerculoidZok said:

Out of curiosity, do all issues under 9.8 receive grader notes? I've submitted about 20 or so overall, and all 9.8's have no grader notes and 9.6's and less do.... until i got back one 9.6 submission with no notes. Is that typical?

Yes, this is typical.  

Please bear in mind that CGC is a production oriented facility. Anything that slows down production (turnaround time) is generally viewed as unnecessary. I'm always pleasantly surprised when my certified books have any notes at all...

On 10/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, HerculoidZok said:

No not all issues under 9.8 receive graders notes.  Many (most?) do but I have encountered quite a few that don't and it's frustrating when you are contemplating a large purchase without the book in hand.  Many 9.8's do not have graders notes either which may seem obvious but on an otherwise PERFECT looking book (sharp corners, no bindery defects, no spine defects, no color abrasions or ink rubs or any non-color break bends, perfect wrap and centering, perfect alignment of staples, no gripper tears, indents, overcover hangs, no staples stress/tears, no stains, etc) what keeps it from being a 9.9 or 10?  Was there an interior defect?  Despite the writing of graders notes being an inconsistent artifact of the grading process you would think CGC would want to make the extra $ at $5-$15 per copy almost as a royalty payment every time the book went up for auction.  In a typical CLink or Heritage Auction, can you imagine how much revenue they generate for 9.4s and 9.6s of SA/BA/CA books?

I think any book under 9.8 should have grader notes. Obviously the grader has identified some type of defect that detracts from a 9.8, and is the reasoning for the lower grade. I am assuming that defect is documented somewhere, so how much harder can it be to export that note to the grader notes? I don't know anything about their software so many it is more time-consuming than I realize, but if it is, they should update their software. It cant be difficult to type a single sentence in one system and have that mirrored to another report. And it is a feature every single one of their members would appreciate. 

Sorry for bring up an older thread, but my search for G notes was somewhat fruitless. I just received my 1st sub back and in the Modern Tier I had 3 9.4's and one 9.6 and none had grader notes. Is this the new trend?

7 hours ago, CJ Design said:

Sorry for bring up an older thread, but my search for G notes was somewhat fruitless. I just received my 1st sub back and in the Modern Tier I had 3 9.4's and one 9.6 and none had grader notes. Is this the new trend?

I thought you had to purchase them for $5, no?

at least that’s what comes up when you do the cert lookup on the site

I'm about to show my ignorance...

What's it like with the rest of the collectable grading world (not comics). IOW - what about cards, coins, etc. (intermittent notes?)

4 hours ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

I thought you had to purchase them for $5, no?

at least that’s what comes up when you do the cert lookup on the site

Not if you submitted the books directly to CGC.

Edit: It may depend on which subscription service you have to CGC? I think that the very base subscription does not offer free Grader Notes.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

Thanks...No I submitted directly, I got grader notes on my 3 value tier books. My 4 modern tier (1975/78 and 2 1992's) which netted three 9.4's and a 9.6 had no grader notes at all. I'm not complaining about the grades but in my returning to the hobby in the CGC age I've really tried to sharpen my grading skills. I thought 2 (in my mind) had 9.6-9.8 shots and I'd like to know what I missed. Thanks.

Agreed. I recently received two modern 9.6s that I have had raw since a kid with no grader's notes. Would have been nice to see what minor defects have accumulated over 25 years and 6 military permanent changes of station.

Also, I recently bought two slabs from a CGC board member and the slab serial number did not register in the CGC census registry. I emailed CGC customer service and they said they must have "fallen off of the census." I sent them a ransom photo with the two slabs next to a current newspaper and they are going to add them back in and send me the graders notes if there are any.

Anybody else ever had their slabbed book or a purchase "fall off" of the registry?