• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$10,000 budget. GA Grail Page or Full Book?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

I have a budget of around $10-$15k to make one purchase.  I can get a Grail One Page such as AC #1 or Tec27, with an actual Batman page.  Or I can spend my budget on some other GA key, full book. I am making this purchase as an investment.  Yes, enjoyment too.  But primarily I want the item to appreciate.  I have never purchased a single Page before.  The Page is graded/verified by CGC.  So my question is, is it better to purchase a single graded page from Tec27, or is the better investment in a different book (not Tec27) which would be complete with cover. Knowing that any book I buy will NOT be a first appearance book. Can’t buy AC #1 book for $10k obviously.  So would be a later book, Such as Superman 13 for example.  Again, same budget for either purchase. Thanks! 

Edited by BadBradH.

16 hours ago, BadBradH. said:

Knowing that any book I buy will NOT be a first appearance book.  

Why aren't you interested in a first appearance book? 

$10K-$15K can get you some cool first appearances.  Heck, it could also get you a handful of cool origin retellings and other key stories.  Far better than an overpriced piece of a book.

Edited by sfcityduck

16 hours ago, BadBradH. said:

I have a budget of around $10-$15k to make one purchase.  I can get a Grail One Page such as AC #1 or Tec27, with an actual Batman page.  Or I can spend my budget on some other GA key, full book. I am making this purchase as an investment.  Yes, enjoyment too.  But primarily I want the item to appreciate.  I have never purchased a single Page before.  The Page is graded/verified by CGC.  So my question is, is it better to purchase a single graded page from Tec27, or is the better investment in a different book (not Tec27) which would be complete with cover. Knowing that any book I buy will NOT be a first appearance book. Can’t buy AC #1 book for $10k obviously.  So would be a later book, Such as Superman 13 for example.  Again, same budget for either purchase. Thanks! 

If you can get it nice presenting Tec  27 page with bats on it for 10 to 15,000 I Wouldn’t think twice and do that. Just watching how the action one pages have increased in value over the last 7 to 8 years  at this price it’s a heck of a deal IMO. Let  us know what you decide and end up getting.   If you have a shot at a action one page I’d go with either page one or page 5. 

Edited by Chicago Boy

I think that a single page from a grail would be more of a risk, but by the same token, could therefore offer a better upside, if that is to be.  That said, I myself would go for a full, un-restored in-grade book, as the safer investment.

3 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Full book unless the page was a Batman story page from Tec 27...that might make me pause a moment pending on what full book was the other option. 

What about AC#1 Supes Page?  I realize it’s all personal interest too.  

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Just as an example, this book sold for $16,200 on Heritage recently

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 9.57.06 PM.png

Great examples.  Investment-wise a book of this caliber would be the trifecta: Schomburg cover, Timely first issue in grade, a featured character origin (win/win/win).  :headbang:

On any given day books like this may clear 20K.  Note: For a GA book, HT #1 isn't especially rare (there are 7 above it with 68 UGs and 40 restored copies in the Census), but being a first issue in nice grade kicks it up a notch.

Also, Bat-Man #11 is a superb investment/collector book with an iconic Batman cover. (thumbsu

Batman 11 is cool, but only because of the cover. Cover craze hasn’t always been a thing. 6-7 years ago it was all about the historical content. So personally I think it’s risky putting money into a book just due tonthe cover since tastes change. I would consider a Detective 36, 38, 45, or 168 if you like Batman. Action 23 if you like Superman.