• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planet Comicon Kansas City March 20-22,2020
1 1

42 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, SSkufan said:

Myself, @D Stuart  will be set up and I am pretty sure @mysterio will becoming up with his brother.

Look forward to another great show there!!!!!

45 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Us too!

I'll definitely stop by. I had the weirdest convention (for me) there last year. I only did about 2 hours' worth of comic shopping the entire weekend, so please forgive me. I spent most of my time getting commissions, talking (and talking and talking) to creators and having them sign my books, a couple panels. There were long lines for many of them because they took their time and really talked to their fans. Those interactions are priceless to me. 

The only celebs I saw close up were two voice actors from Red Dead Redemption, and that's only because my nephew's buddy wanted their signatures but didn't want to brave the long lines, so they hit up "good ol' uncle" with the Fast Pass.

Last year's con is also the first time I've ever been even the slightest bit embarrassed. I was talking with Jim Starlin for a few minutes as he signed some of my stuff, and when I was done, his female assistant motioned for me to lean in and she whispered, "Your fly is down." Oooops! The embarrassment was probably worse for Jim, being at eye level and all.

Edited by celluloidbuff
punctuation

On 10/25/2019 at 10:39 AM, mysterio said:

Are the savings that spectacular?

I'm staying the same place I did last year and the block rate is $40-50/night lower than what I would have paid last year, had I not bought the rate down with points. The Phillips is an awesome Hilton property. Its a block further walk, but the art deco design and HHonors points are worth it. $169.00/night this year. Cheaper than the Marriott for a significantly nicer hotel.  Not as new/flashy, but they spent a ton on the remodel a few years back and its a gorgeous, comfortable high-end room with character. 

Planet was the first comic con I went to (I live in STL).But with that said I go to Planet maybe once every other year at best. Last year my cousin and I both had bad experiences. My cousins was worse than mine.

One of my complaints was the single day Saturday ticket being $65 (after tax)...we bought ours the day of so I know it probably would have been cheaper but even then I bought a C2E2 three day pass for $80.That left a bad taste in my mouth.

Then I had about three dealings with their volunteers were they were rude...One of the volunteers actually told me I couldn’t stand in the bathroom hallway to wait for my cousin because it was too close to the beginning of the line to get into the show so, I just went into the bathroom to get away from the guy. And for the record we went to the end of the line like normal people should, and was not trying to cut in line,but the volunteer didn’t know that.

I also didnt like the set up of the con floor. The isles seemed a little small and at most if not all of the 4 way intersections where trash cans  blocking the path.

So thats 3 things that turned me off to going back.

But I like to support my state and I have a number of other friends that love going to the show every year, its their C2E2. So I most likely will go back again. Maybe this year...

I did like the amount of comic book dealers! I got some great pick ups.

So thats where Im at on going this year. I dont hold the volunteers attitude against the show, I always give the benefit of the doubt to most workers in any situation.

With that said I’ll probably make my decision after C2E2.

Everyone’s welcome to change my mind!

3 hours ago, Raze said:

Planet was the first comic con I went to (I live in STL).But with that said I go to Planet maybe once every other year at best. Last year my cousin and I both had bad experiences. My cousins was worse than mine.

One of my complaints was the single day Saturday ticket being $65 (after tax)...we bought ours the day of so I know it probably would have been cheaper but even then I bought a C2E2 three day pass for $80.That left a bad taste in my mouth.

Then I had about three dealings with their volunteers were they were rude...One of the volunteers actually told me I couldn’t stand in the bathroom hallway to wait for my cousin because it was too close to the beginning of the line to get into the show so, I just went into the bathroom to get away from the guy. And for the record we went to the end of the line like normal people should, and was not trying to cut in line,but the volunteer didn’t know that.

I also didnt like the set up of the con floor. The isles seemed a little small and at most if not all of the 4 way intersections where trash cans  blocking the path.

So thats 3 things that turned me off to going back.

But I like to support my state and I have a number of other friends that love going to the show every year, its their C2E2. So I most likely will go back again. Maybe this year...

I did like the amount of comic book dealers! I got some great pick ups.

So thats where Im at on going this year. I dont hold the volunteers attitude against the show, I always give the benefit of the doubt to most workers in any situation.

With that said I’ll probably make my decision after C2E2.

Everyone’s welcome to change my mind!

I would encourage you to give it another shot. Unfortunately in my experience show volunteers are clueless. Many are good, and mean well, but many others are poorly trained and basically trading time for a badge to the show. They don't care about a fan experience, which should be paramount to a volunteer representing a show I agree. I've been to two, and looking forward to a third, and would seriously encourage you to attend. It is a top notch show with plenty of great books in the room.

Edited by mysterio

I’m biased. I enjoy setting up at Planet each year 2020 will be my 7th time setting up since I first setup in 2012. I spend a lot of my time in my booth and enjoy the benefits of being a vendor, so I don’t have many attendee level experiences (early floor access, no queues). Though, I do agree with @Mysterio in that most of my experiences with volunteers vary widely. Sometimes they’re on a power trip, sometimes they have bad info, but most have been cordial. I’m there for books, so the guest list isn’t typically a big deal to me. My priorities are: sales and vendor quality. I’m in the quality phase of collecting, where having top tier vendors on the floor is likely the only way I’m going to go home with a new couple of books.