• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - FINAL ROUND 10
4 4

358 posts in this topic

Just now, Wolverinex said:

it is unusual he's not here... probably doing laundry...

I have it on good authority that he very rarely showers. So laundry for him is a once a month occurrence :baiting:

It's so much more fun to insult people when they are not around to defend themselves.

7 minutes ago, speedcake said:

yeah I had the HoS at a fine or so before the stains on the back were taken into consideration, so went 5.5.   I don't think it was a massive gift grade, but I was playing the odds in case it came back a 5.0.  I totally blew it on the FF though with a 4.5.  I didnt' look closely enough at the tear at the bottom staple on the spine, I guess.

I went back and forth on HOS with that long color breaking crease and the major foxing/stains on the back. But I thought it may get a 6.0--but with those defects and their severity I pulled it back a bit to a 5.5. For the FF I was really inclined to go with a 2.5 due to the tears but it was just normal wear and tear and no visible spine split-usually books that are graded under 3.0 have some other disastrous defect like mold or chunks missing so I went with a 3.0.

5 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

Huge props to point five for his big push into the top 10!

Aw. Thanks for that!  :foryou:

Feels like I had to fight my way through a hailstorm of HOS 92 mold to get there. 6.0, wow.

Yeesh. Tough round. Nothing "fine" about that Swamp Thing book. I gave it 3.5. Thought I saw rust on the staples. Also, the back looked like someone had peed on it. :P

I gave the FF a 4.0. The way the grading has been, I figured it could be anywhere from 3.0-5.0.

Edited by adampasz

Just now, Crops068 said:

Yeah I am interested in where Andy's shop is.  If I ever venture there I would absolutely stop in.

London, ON, Canada.

2 hours from Toronto, 2 hours from Niagara Falls, 2 hours from Detroit, 1.5 hours from Port Huron, MI

33 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:
35 minutes ago, speedcake said:

ouch.  Only 4 points for me. That FF got me. Thanks again for the great contest! I hope someone else can take up the mantle and keeps it going.  

Can we see notes on the FF, just for learning purposes?  on to the prizes!!!

I’ll see if I can pull them up. There’s a pretty nasty tear on the right edge that would bring it down. 

moderate bends to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover
multiple tear with crease right center of front cover
tear with crease left center of back cover

6 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

London, ON, Canada.

2 hours from Toronto, 2 hours from Niagara Falls, 2 hours from Detroit, 1.5 hours from Port Huron, MI

Tis quite the hike from Texas.  But I will keep it in mind for sure. :)

p.s. check your PMs ;)

Very disappointed in my final round.  I am not going to whine, however,  that it's all luck or that CGC 'got it wrong'.  This was all me.

Edited by kav