• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - FINAL ROUND 10
4 4

358 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I imagine the biggest problem with the FF, in CGC's eyes, is the extensive creasing along the spine that breaks color. I imagine the book in hand is quite "soft" because of the multiple creases. When grading like CGC, the most important area is front cover at or near the spine, back cover at or near the spine, front cover corners, back cover corners, front cover edges, back cover edges, front cover interior space, back cover interior space. So, I don't think the tear/crease combo, as bad as it is, affected the grade "as much" as the wear at the spine and the overall "creasiness" of the cover in general.

Creasiness?! Love the terminology!:applause: 

Edited by flashlites

5 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Thanks! This is great thinking. Will have to mull this over a bit more.

Even with this in mind, it certainly seems like CGC has relaxed somewhat in the last year or so about some of the structural flaws that they used to hammer for.

And as an aside, they have always been weird on 'overlooking' foxing IMO  :taptaptap:  and I've never quite understood that.

But if you KNOW CGC has always been weird on overlooking foxing...you can use that to your advantage when looking for books to submit....or in grading contests...

:whistle:

7 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Tears definitely immediately put a ceiling on a books grade, depending on the length of the tear.  Right off the bat.  :(   stupid tears.

Yes, absolutely. An otherwise 9.6/9.8 book with two 1/4" vertical tears along the top edge of the back cover will almost certainly end up a 7.5...no matter how beautiful the book otherwise is.

Grrrr.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

But if you KNOW CGC has always been weird on overlooking foxing...you can use that to your advantage when looking for books to submit....or in grading contests...

:whistle:

What’s the top grade with foxing present? 

I hate foxing.  Worse than stains for sure.

10 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What’s the top grade with foxing present? 

I hate foxing.  Worse than stains for sure.

Based on my experience...and I'm only a middling couple hundred books a year submitter...I think the top grade with foxing is 9.4. But in those grades, it really depends on the extent and severity. I just subbed a Wolverine #1 that had a few light foxing dots on the back cover, along the top edge, and it got a 9.4 (mentioned in the notes, so not missed.)

Foxing like the HOS #92? I think 7.5 is tops, if the book is otherwise 9.6/9.8 (which is not in this case.) That's UGLY foxing, and would do a number on the eye appeal aspect of the grade.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And remember, Borock didn't mind foxing as much as the current generation of graders do. So it's entirely possible to see more severe foxing in higher grades on books graded from 2000-2008.

I love grading. I really, really do.

Great insight and wisdom! This is exactly what I was hoping for when I joined the boards. Thanks so much!! And this is my 1000th post!!!

17 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

doh!

What a terrible tournament for this time.

I had HOS at 4.0 and FF at 4.5

That HOS was terrible. The back cover was disaster I was surprised.

The FF book I thought would get a bump just for being that book lol.

yeah that key first appearances of Stan and Jack's backside !!

20 hours ago, comics4all said:

@ADAMANTIUM Don't worry my friend!

There were some tough books in this contest! Even some of the Top 10 graders here got a lot wrong!

As for my first attempt @ this I did pretty much as I expected! lol

if I stopped after round 5 I woulda been @ #49!!!!! 

Hey it was a lot of fun playing with you all!

Thanks again @sckao & @thirdgreenham ! It was a great time!!! 

it gets easier every year ! my first contest i was clueless and near the bottom of the standings , each year you gain experience and knowledge !

too bad it was the last one ... in five more years i might have been able to win !!!

Edited by 1950's war comics