• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Detective Comics for sale

22 posts in this topic

Detective Comics #5 (DC, 1937) CGC VG- 3.5 Cream to off-white pages. One of the toughest early Detectives to locate

Only 12 graded in all grades. 

$4,500 Paypal, Check or Money Order for payment. Free Shipping anywhere in USA. Sorry no international. 30 return privilege for any reason. 

detective5.jpg

detective5a (2).jpg

Edited by omglikeyes
to comply with rules

Detective Comics #12 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1938) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white pages. This pre-Action #1 issue is tough to find in any grade

Only 19 graded in all grades. 

$4,500 Paypal, Check or Money Order for payment. Free Shipping anywhere in USA. Sorry no international. 30 return privilege for any reason. sent priority mail. 2 to 3 days

BILLY1.jpg

BILLY2 (2).jpg

Edited by omglikeyes
adding shipping info

Detective Comics #38 (DC, 1940) CGC Apparent VF+ 8.5 Slight (P) Off-white pages. Robin makes his debut with this issue, creating a sensation among readers, and causing a flood of imitators that would last the duration of the Golden Age. Exhibiting deep colors, a perfect spine and edges, and a freshness of color that jumps right off the page, CGC notes, "Restoration includes: color touch, spine splits sealed, cleaned and reinforced.

1 graded 8.5 with 5 higher. 

$39,999 

Paypal, Check or Money Order for payment. Free Shipping anywhere in USA. Sorry no international. 30 return privilege for any reason. sent priority mail. 2 to 3 days

DET38 (2).jpg

Edited by omglikeyes
adding shipping info

Detective Comics #15 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1938) CGC FN 6.0 Off-white pages. This  issue that came out a month before Action #1. In fact, the issue even contains a "coming soon" ad for Action #1! Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster actually drew two stories for this issue as well. Creig Flessel cover art. 

4 graded 6.0  with 3 higher. 

$7,999 

Paypal, Check or Money Order for payment. Free Shipping anywhere in USA. Sorry no international. 30 return privilege for any reason. sent priority mail. 2 to 3 days

detective15 (2).jpg

detective15a (2).jpg

Edited by omglikeyes
adding shipping info

Detective Comics #6 (DC, 1937) CGC Apparent NM- 9.2 Moderate (P) Off-white pages. This impressive copy is a great example of the potential benefits of professional restoration -- it's been returned to its 1937 form! This pre-superhero issue lived up to its title, with sleuths like Gumshoe Gus plying their trade. The cover is by Creig Flessel and showcases the series' early headliner, Speed Saunders. That character's story in the book was also drawn by Flessel. The other prominent creators involved were writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster; the future Superman creators produced both the Slam Bradley tale here and the story featuring the Spy. CGC notes, "Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cover cleaned, reinforced, re-glossed.  Book does not have outer cgc case but is still sealed in original mylar. 

$3,999 

20190917_171202.jpg

20190917_171159.jpg

Captain America Comics #37 (Timely, 1944) . With a quintessential  cover from Alex Schomburg, a Red Skull appearance, and a Human Torch story, this issue is much in demand. Syd Shores and Vince Alascia art.

Uncertified . Purchased in the late 80,s as a Fine. I actually think its a bit nicer . imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761Slight overhang on some of the pages. centerfold detached. I don't believe cover has been trimmed just miscut during printing process. 

$8,999imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

cap37(1)_resized.jpg

cap37a.jpg

Edited by omglikeyes
added photo

1 minute ago, Pitboss said:

Any references? 

I have been mostly a buyer not a seller of comics. Have purchased mostly from major auction houses and shows. Have been going to San Diego since the late 80,s .I have been to local comic shops as well but have bought little there. I believe paypal guarantees most transactions. 

Superman #4 (DC, 1940) CGC Apparent VF 8.0 Slight (A) Cream to off-white pages. Creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster co-produced this early issue, which featured a Lex Luthor (with red hair!) appearance. Of the slight restoration, CGC notes, "Restoration includes: small amount of glue on spine of cover." Outer CGC case is missing but inner mylar is still sealed. 2nd and 3rd photos are when original outer case was intact. 

$4,499

20190917_170922_resized.jpg

superman4 (2).jpg

superman4a (2).jpg

20 minutes ago, omglikeyes said:

I have been mostly a buyer not a seller of comics. Have purchased mostly from major auction houses and shows. Have been going to San Diego since the late 80,s .I have been to local comic shops as well but have bought little there. I believe paypal guarantees most transactions. will be posting more tomorrow. I use to spend up to 85k an auction with many of the major auction houses. Bought a ton at the Nicholas Cage auction in 02. 

Edited by omglikeyes
adding info