• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern newsies that are heating up on ebay
3 3

43 posts in this topic

It’s hard for late modern newsies to heat up when you can’t find them. I own these Thors pictured but haven’t seen any others of these issues in any condition. 

CGC didn’t break them out in Census, so we just don’t know.

in the case of Batman rebirth 24, CGC does break them out for the price variation, and it’s currently an overall 10 graded newsstand editions vs 466 direct. 

6 9.8 newsstand editions vs 289 9.8 Direct editions. 1 of those 9.8’s is mine, :)

I’m afraid these books may be too scarce to heat up.

Food for thought: ASM700 seems to have a large supply of high grade newsies, makes sense considering it sold extremely well and was instantly popular.

EC7F32FD-CC68-4D39-BC8D-5971631A5FB8.jpeg

D97900DD-1C7D-4DB6-BE0E-F6D142837ECA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Joosh said:

It’s hard for late modern newsies to heat up when you can’t find them. I own these Thors pictured but haven’t seen any others of these issues in any condition. 

in the case of Batman rebirth 24, CGC does break them out for the price variation, and it’s currently an overall 10 graded newsstand editions vs 466 direct. 

6 9.8 newsstand editions vs 289 9.8 Direct editions. 1 of those 9.8’s is mine, :)

Food for thought: ASM700 seems to have a large supply of high grade newsies, makes sense considering it sold extremely well and was instantly popular.

If the thor's are newsstand price variants, then pm mdavis@cgccomics.com who is Mollie of the registry,  and point it out to her....

That way it will be set apart in the registry and reflect on the label...

My Batman #24 in 9.6 came back incorrectly labeled and I had it fixed, not through Mollie but through Brittany.....

There still isn't a spot in the registry for ASM #607 either, which I'm trying to get rectified, but the registry forum is backlogged due to con's at the moment....

The Thor: God of Thunder books are not price variants in newsstand. All the 2011-13 marvel books I’ve considered that were $3.99 in direct edition were also $3.99 in newsstand. However, when the direct edition was $2.99, the newsstand was always $3.99, making a price variant.

Oversize issues typically show $1 higher price in newsstand.

14 minutes ago, Joosh said:

The Thor: God of Thunder books are not price variants in newsstand. All the 2011-13 marvel books I’ve considered that were $3.99 in direct edition were also $3.99 in newsstand. However, when the direct edition was $2.99, the newsstand was always $3.99, making a price variant.

Oversize issues typically show $1 higher price in newsstand.

I'm not sure of too many newsstands that CGC labels that aren't price variants, but I'm sure there are .....

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not sure of too many newsstands that CGC labels that aren't price variants, but I'm sure there are .....

The only non price variants I’ve seen called out by CGC have different cover design, different quality interior paper, and/or have the situation where an insert (card or poster) was not included with newsstand editions.

I think they should all be broken out. CBCS was on the right track but screwed up big time (get it? Big Time) with the pre-2000 designation cutoff. 

1 hour ago, mr_highgrade said:

I had the only 3 graded copies in the world. 

Sold one on ebay for $450.00. Another one to a private collector for $425.00. Still have one left.

BTW, Direct Editions in 9.8 go for $42.00 :gossip:

Spidey #648 CGC 9.8 NE 14.jpg

I thought I had this in newsstand, then remembered mine is a 1shot collection of 648-650 using 648 cover art. It’s a newsstand and also a price variant I think, but I’ll have to check when I can. 

7 minutes ago, Joosh said:

I thought I had this in newsstand, then remembered mine is a 1shot collection of 648-650 using 648 cover art. It’s a newsstand and also a price variant I think, but I’ll have to check when I can. 

I had a stack of newsstands at the used bookstore that I wasn't too sure if they were "priced" different or not, they were mostly low grade and didn't pick them up. They would have cost $1.50 to $2.50 a piece, almost cover price.....

Whoever ended up with them had me to thank for finding them all and putting them in one spot though lol 

4 hours ago, Joosh said:

D97900DD-1C7D-4DB6-BE0E-F6D142837ECA.jpeg

People argue that the Thor 6 is the real first appearance of Knull.

Nice book(thumbsu

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

People argue that the Thor 6 is the real first appearance of Knull.

Nice book(thumbsu

I argue that too, kind of. Well, I consider it his 1st unnamed appearance. First full appearance is Venom 3, which I also own in all 4 prints. I like my symbiote stuff.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I can find late Marvel newsstands its the DC issues that are really hard at least for me.

Around here, it seems the other way around. In the last couple of years I’ve come across dozens of New 52 and later newsstand editions. The Marvel stuff (from lets say 2011 and later) are really tough to find. About 4-5 years ago I was finding random Marvel newsies from that period in dollar boxes in pretty good number. I think the last newer Marvel newsstands I’ve found were a couple years ago I found two Uncanny X Force #1 (vol 2) and an Uncanny X Men #1 (1st Gold Balls). I still find DC newsstands here and there, not usually keys, but still. 

Im still looking for an Uncanny X Force #4 (vol 1) newsstand, but they pop up very rarely even on eBay

6 hours ago, BishopT said:

Around here, it seems the other way around. In the last couple of years I’ve come across dozens of New 52 and later newsstand editions. The Marvel stuff (from lets say 2011 and later) are really tough to find. About 4-5 years ago I was finding random Marvel newsies from that period in dollar boxes in pretty good number. I think the last newer Marvel newsstands I’ve found were a couple years ago I found two Uncanny X Force #1 (vol 2) and an Uncanny X Men #1 (1st Gold Balls). I still find DC newsstands here and there, not usually keys, but still. 

Im still looking for an Uncanny X Force #4 (vol 1) newsstand, but they pop up very rarely even on eBay

Agree.

Maybe depends on region...

when Barns and Noble stopped carrying Marvel newsies and kept DC those new 52s were easy picking!

In NYC the Marvels disappeared.