• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner Damage to Current Comics...Is it Worth Re-Buying?

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Just a quick question/opinion related thread. I’m new to comic grading and have been going through some of my older stuff looking at possible options to grade. Not particularly expensive comics, more variants that I’m fond of and some first prints.

However, I’ve noticed on some of the comics that the bottom spine corner can be damaged or in a bit of a tatty condition. I assume where it has been bag/boarded, sat on a shelf in a store etc.

My general question is how much does this affect grading (example of a current comic attached)? Would it be worth looking at purchasing a new book just based on the corner...As I say this is a new comic so still $3.99 so it’s not a money issue. It’s more how fussy should you be when collecting comics/series.

Thanks very much for your help!

0AE47DD2-F305-4CB6-98AF-988BE5A67668.thumb.jpeg.9b5950acf94fcb28cc3d54f4542c9064.jpeg

Yes, it should reduce the grade.  It looks like a slight impact (which can often happen while in bag/board).  The abrasions on the black back (near the bottom and at staple) are also problematic.

If you want a CGC 9.8, buy a CGC 9.8.

I wouldn't buy another one but if your going to look to CGC grade it probably wont get a 9.8 and if you want a 9.8 one then buy another comic to slab. if your cool with it raw and in your collection what does it matter.