• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC comic wall mount

9 posts in this topic

I am new to having my comics graded and having recently had my first one graded (Secret Wars 1984 #8 9.8) I would like to display it on the wall.

Does anybody know where I can buy something without importing from the United States? Thank You.

I feel like there’s something at ikea?

I've got a few of those collector mounts.  You can either use them to hang a slabbed book on the wall or stand it up on a shelf.  I actually have some books displayed both ways in my library. The only "downside" -- really just a matter of preference -- is that the slab doesn't hang flush against the wall, but about 1" out from it.  It looks fine IMHO, but that's how it works.  

One other thing to consider is if these are valuable books, maybe get a UV-protector film (e.g. Slab-Pro) so when displayed they won't be damaged by sunlight.

7 hours ago, crandmck said:

I've got a few of those collector mounts.  You can either use them to hang a slabbed book on the wall or stand it up on a shelf.  I actually have some books displayed both ways in my library. The only "downside" -- really just a matter of preference -- is that the slab doesn't hang flush against the wall, but about 1" out from it.  It looks fine IMHO, but that's how it works.  

One other thing to consider is if these are valuable books, maybe get a UV-protector film (e.g. Slab-Pro) so when displayed they won't be damaged by sunlight.

*** note they will still get damaged and fade over time the UV filters only slow down the time and reduce the time for the damage to become severe. 

so when displaying be alert that they will get damaged over time, hence why most have them in boxes in proper temp and humidity conditions away from heat or water sources and sunlight, 

Good point @Krismusic, but I suspect damage from indirect light (i.e. shade) and dim interior lights, with the UV film, would be minimal.  I certainly wouldn't ever recommend putting anything printed (esp. an old comic book) in a place where it will get direct sunlight.  That's just asking for damage.  And, as you say, avoid sources of heat, moisture, etc.

As for the books I have displayed, none of them are terribly valuable (all under $1K, most just a few $100), but when I got back into the hobby recently I decided that I didn't want to spend my time or money on things that would just sit in a box for years (as my comics did for the last two decades).  I wanted to enjoy looking at them, and I do every day now!  But that's just me.  For me, their worth is mainly in being able to admire and appreciate them.  If I had a 9.4 FF#1 or something like that, I probably wouldn't risk it, though!

Edited by crandmck

11 hours ago, crandmck said:

Good point @Krismusic, but I suspect damage from indirect light (i.e. shade) and dim interior lights, with the UV film, would be minimal.  I certainly wouldn't ever recommend putting anything printed (esp. an old comic book) in a place where it will get direct sunlight.  That's just asking for damage.  And, as you say, avoid sources of heat, moisture, etc.

As for the books I have displayed, none of them are terribly valuable (all under $1K, most just a few $100), but when I got back into the hobby recently I decided that I didn't want to spend my time or money on things that would just sit in a box for years (as my comics did for the last two decades).  I wanted to enjoy looking at them, and I do every day now!  But that's just me.  For me, their worth is mainly in being able to admire and appreciate them.  If I had a 9.4 FF#1 or something like that, I probably wouldn't risk it, though!

i agree the UV film will help to keep the damage to a minimal but minor or minimal damage will occur still. I wouldn't display any of my more valuable books. I recently picked up some reprints of my valuable book and I am planning to display the reprints as I have no worries about the reprints going up in value or worries about light damage. As I have the originals safely stored away.