• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Kevin Eastman as an Artist?

25 posts in this topic

Just now, Rick2you2 said:

when Miller’s Daredevil came out, and I liked it.

Me too. I didn't realize where he was pulling from but I knew it was "better", raw and to the point. Here we are nearly 40 years later...clones of clones of clones are heralded as greatness. Everything is new to somebody. Even Rich Buckler ;)

Eastman was raw too a few years later, and I did get the vibe and liked it, but I never confused it with good art. It was clearly amateur, the slavish emphasis on musculature (a huge amateur tell) while other aspects were out of proportion - not style but an actual lack of understanding of human anatomy. You generally have to learn the rules (master them even?) before you can successfully break them. See: Benjamin Marra.

I'm one of those 80s kids who fell in love with the TMNT via toys and the original cartoon. Discovered the comics much later in life. Old school Eastman I MUCH prefer over the newer style, which for me all looks very samey to me and stiff.  The partnership with Peter Laird obviously shaped alot of those eafly years as well. And no hes not likely going to win any awards, but he had talent, could write and layout stories, and (something many may not know...) could paint as well. Outside of the New Age #1cover (which Laird did some pencils/inks on) the attached  are all Eastman pencils, inks, and paints, sometimes acyllics, sometimes airbrush. 

NEW AGE COMICS #1

ubr3Ih5G_130219205709lola.jpeg

RPG Cover

YR8QLIYo_140219102549lola.jpg

1984 First Painting (first red bandana) 

2iSx0c5s_1511132204401 (1).jpg

Can only get photos of some of the larger ones. 

Edited by TMNT

15 hours ago, Varanis said:

I don’t think “skill” or “greatness” is a meaningful way to assess art. Judging on skill tends to imply that photorealism is the ultimate goal. Art would be pretty boring if that were the case. 

(thumbsu

16 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

i always thought the Turtles were a parody based on Ronin, not Daredevil (shrug)

The way I would describe it is that the story/characters are based on DD, but the art was more similar to Frank Miller's style during his Ronin phase.