• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massacred on eBay tonight by Godzilla.
2 2

129 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

So I have been casually putting together the 24 issue Godzilla run and thought I would clean up on eBay tonight. Some seller had 6 issues up for sale all CGC 9.8 , perfect right ? I will even go over GPA by a wide margin to ensure that I can grab a large chunk of the run at once. NOPE.

I got hammered by other bidders driving the prices of these $75-$100 books into the $200+ range.

just really surprised by this , any thoughts ?

Thanks, CB

2 minutes ago, Bowenfire said:

I bought number one a couple years ago because of the parachute cover, but I can't figure out why anybody would buy a copy of common Bronze for more than about $10.

The books are plentiful.

Your time will come.

Edited by lizards2

1 hour ago, Bowenfire said:

Hey gang,

So I have been casually putting together the 24 issue Godzilla run and thought I would clean up on eBay tonight. Some seller had 6 issues up for sale all CGC 9.8 , perfect right ? I will even go over GPA by a wide margin to ensure that I can grab a large chunk of the run at once. NOPE.

I got hammered by other bidders driving the prices of these $75-$100 books into the $200+ range.

Thanks, CB

You are probably not the only who trying to put a 9.8 run together.  I used to think I will put a ASM Spidey McFarlane 298-328 CGC 9.8 run and X-Men 94-143 CGC 9.8 run together then I realize it would be too expensive and hard.  No one wants 9.4 and 9.6 ruining their run so that is why your 9.8's are so high.  I thought a Godzilla 9.8 run might be doable but realize it would not be easy or cheap.

Edited by spidermanbeyond

1 hour ago, Bowenfire said:

Hey gang,

Thanks, CB

Make sure there was no shilling involved that makes you do something crazy on the next batch.

I was part of the bidding war...I managed to get the #6.  The 12 and 13 were insane!  That being said, I got a "Second Chance" on the #12.  I told him I'd pay $175 with combined shipping with the #6.  He said OK and then reposted the #12 for $175 WITH shipping.  I emailed him back to ask him to get rid of the shipping. 30 minutes went by and he didn't remove the shipping and then someone else bought it :tonofbricks:. I think there were just 2 or 3 high bidders.

Thanks for getting in on the conversation everyone. I had hoped a boardie was participating in the auction. 

As for the shilling ? How do you prove something like that ? However I don’t think that was the case as the winning bids were last second and enormous as opposed to incremental increases.

i did manage to win #14 and #18 which I didn’t expect based on the earlier issues.

2 minutes ago, Bowenfire said:

Thanks for getting in on the conversation everyone. I had hoped a boardie was participating in the auction. 

As for the shilling ? How do you prove something like that ? However I don’t think that was the case as the winning bids were last second and enormous as opposed to incremental increases.

i did manage to win #14 and #18 which I didn’t expect based on the earlier issues.

I was surprised the #14 didn't go for higher (with all the craziness) but you did OK l think when you average out what you spent on the #14 and 18.

6 minutes ago, Bowenfire said:

check the bid history.  second chance offer is a red flag.  Or post the book and have us look at it the board roots out shilling like a pig after truffles.

Also

#1 - ended at the 90 day avg.

#2 - below the 90 day avg.

#6 - 1 sale this year and 1 last year. Does not come up often or is not bought regularly apparently.

#8 - 1 sale this year and 2 last. Albeit considerably higher this year (2x).

12 hours ago, Bowenfire said:

I also followed all of the Godzillas - side note I do have the # 1 registry set so I have a vested interest in these books do well - and 100% there was fishy stuff going on.

The 12 ended at $257.00 and not long after @Xenosmilus got offered it for $175.00 - you don't need to go much further than that - serial number is the same so the seller didn't happen to have an extra copy.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

The market also sometimes has sellers use shill accounts and/or friends bid up books, cancel their winning bids and then offer 2nd chances - this is likely what happened tonight with the issue 12 since it got 2nd chanced right after the auction ended. No proof but just a feeling.