• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massacred on eBay tonight by Godzilla.
2 2

129 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

The market also sometimes has sellers use shill accounts and/or friends bid up books, cancel their winning bids and then offer 2nd chances - this is likely what happened tonight with the issue 12 since it got 2nd chanced right after the auction ended. No proof but just a feeling.

I know how shill bidding works. That is why I posted all of the bidding results of the auctions. The feedback scores are too high for the winners to suggest price manipulation for a few books worth less than $200 each and relatively around market price.

Can you post a link to the #12 auction? I have located the seller that had a number of Godzilla 9.8s last night, but no auction for #12. Perhaps it switched to a BIN if someone else was offered a second chance and bought it?

Also, the sale of #12 has the same circumstances of #8 which I posted above.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I know how shill bidding works. That is why I posted all of the bidding results of the auctions. The feedback scores are too high for the winners to suggest price manipulation for a few books worth less than $200 each and relatively around market price.

Can you post a link to the #12 auction? I have located the seller that had a number of Godzilla 9.8s last night, but no auction for #12. Perhaps it switched to a BIN if someone else was offered a second chance and bought it?

Also, the sale of #12 has the same circumstances of #8 which I posted above.

I didn't mean to come off as condescending - I was pointing it out in case others don't know how that would work!

The item number was 163891075664

I will see if I can get the link or maybe someone else can

3 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I didn't mean to come off as condescending - I was pointing it out in case others don't know how that would work!

The item number was 163891075664

I will see if I can get the link or maybe someone else can

Found it:
https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/163891075664?item=163891075664&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

The winning bidder was present on a couple other bids. Look at #2 for instance and see what their highest automatic bid was that lost to the winner. Strangely odd price. But, typically with suspected shill bidding like this you see some bid retractions because they went over the high bidders price. I do not see any retractions on any of the auctions.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Found it:
https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/163891075664?item=163891075664&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

The winning bidder was present on a couple other bids. Look at #2 for instance and see what their highest automatic bid was that lost to the winner. Strangely odd price. But, typically with suspected shill bidding like this you see some bid retractions because they went over the high bidders price. I do not see any retractions on any of the auctions.

Just seems fishy to me that @Xenosmilus got offered the book minutes after the auction ended.

Maybe I'm just jaded lol 

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Found it:

There must of been a bid retraction on the #12 because I got a second chance offer...

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

There must of been a bid retraction on the #12 because I got a second chance offer...

A bid retraction can only happen when the auction is live. Once it closes the buyer can request to cancel the sale, contact the buyer to cancel it, etc...

15 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

A bid retraction can only happen when the auction is live. Once it closes the buyer can request to cancel the sale, contact the buyer to cancel it, etc...

10 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

So how could I have gotten a second chance offer so soon after the auction ended?

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

That would mean two people (including the winner) above with higher bids declined To buy it in under like 20 minutes after the auction ending.... I’m not saying it didn’t happen that way but you have to admit it is odd.

All it means is the winner declined to buy. I believe you can make as many offers to buyers as you want. It's not like you have to go down the line and wait for them to decline.

FWIW, as a seller, I HAVE had winners contact me IMMEDIATELY after an auction ended, with various sob stories, asking me to cancel the sale. There was a time when I'd make them go through the whole process of waiting for them to not pay, opening the eBay case, etc. Because I was petty like that. But these days i tend to just cancel it immediately and offer to the next highest bidders, just to get the sale complete and off the books. So, this sort of situation may seem suspicious, but isn't necessarily what it seems. if the other items all look legit, chances are this one was as well.

Edited by F For Fake

Hey guys, I won the #8 in 9.8 and the #17 and #23 in 9.6. The seller relisted the #12 9.8 immediately after the first auctions closed that I grabbed on buy it now for $175 (ouch). All of those listings went for well more than I expected. I missed out on several that I'd felt confident the bids I placed would stand up. My #8 9.6 WP will be for sale if anyone is interested. These books don't come up often in 9.8 WP so I imagine it's some tightening competition for the few showing up.

Edited by NerdingOut

26 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

FWIW, as a seller, I HAVE had winners contact me IMMEDIATELY after an auction ended, with various sob stories, asking me to cancel the sale. There was a time when I'd make them go through the whole process of waiting for them to not pay, opening the eBay case, etc. Because I was petty like that. But these days i tend to just cancel it immediately and offer to the next highest bidders, just to get the sale complete and off the books. So, this sort of situation may seem suspicious, but isn't necessarily what it seems. if the other items all look legit, chances are this one was as well.

I have never had an issue selling anything on eBay and didn't realize that a winner can contact the seller after winning an item and ask for it to be cancelled - it's that simple if you agree? Can you leave negative feedback if you cancel the winning bid or does it just fall to the wayside - meaning you can't leave negative feedback?

15 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

That being said, I got a "Second Chance" on the #12.  I told him I'd pay $175 with combined shipping with the #6.  He said OK and then reposted the #12 for $175 WITH shipping.  I emailed him back to ask him to get rid of the shipping. 30 minutes went by and he didn't remove the shipping and then someone else bought it :tonofbricks:.

46 minutes ago, NerdingOut said:

The seller relisted the #12 9.8 immediately after the first auctions closed that I grabbed on buy it now for $175 (ouch). 

lol

FYI - I bid $252 on the #12. Not sure why I wasn't offered a second chance at that price. But, I'm happy to have grabbed if for $175. My losing bids were #12 - $252, #13 - $225 ( I have a CBCS 9.8 WP at CGC for crossover regrade now. So, I wasn't as committed to this one), #18 - $185. All of those were last minute snipe bids that weren't good enough to win. There was just more competition among a very few of us who we're willing to go well beyond GPA to lock up books that don't come up often. As I said, I felt pretty confident those bids we're well more than enough and it turned out some of you guys we're willing to do even more.