• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massacred on eBay tonight by Godzilla.
1 1

129 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2019 at 3:02 PM, Jordysnordy said:

I have never had an issue selling anything on eBay and didn't realize that a winner can contact the seller after winning an item and ask for it to be cancelled - it's that simple if you agree? Can you leave negative feedback if you cancel the winning bid or does it just fall to the wayside - meaning you can't leave negative feedback?

@Jordysnordy sorry, I just saw this!

It hasn't happened often, but it has happened more than I would like, and instances are seemingly increasing. Basically, the buyer contacts me with their sob story about why they can't pay...or sometimes it's not even a sob story. More and more, what I get is a straight up "Oh, I don't really want this." It's very frustrating how etiquette has taken a dive in recent years on eBay.

At any rate, they make the request to cancel. At that point my options are

1. Go ahead and cancel, get my fees refunded and then have to relist the item or offer to the next highest bidders (at which point the item looks like "damaged goods", or fishy at best), or

2. Tell them I'm not canceling,  and that they can either complete the transaction or take an unpaid item strike. This process is lengthy. First I have to wait several days (I think four?) before eBay will allow me to open an Unpaid Item claim. Once I've done that, the buyer then has, like, another 7 days or so to pay. At the end of that, if they still haven't paid at the end of that time, I can close the transaction, get my fees refunded, and they then get an Unpaid Item Strike. I believe after three strikes, their account can be suspended.

So, like I said before, at one time I would have just gone through the entire unpaid item strike process, sitting around for nearly two weeks before I can move on. But anymore, it's just not worth the time. I cancel the transaction, get my fees refunded, relist the item, and BLOCK THE BUYER! It's frustrating, but it lets me get on with my life rather than stew over it for a couple of weeks.

There is no way for sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers at all, unfortunately. Only buyers can leave negative feedback.

1 hour ago, 1webslinger said:

Let the buyer get an unpaid strike and eventually they will get their account suspended, the best thing to negative feedback  

In theory, yes, but I have also had the experience of giving an unpaid item strike to a bad buyer, only to have them turn around and win several more auctions with a different account.

The truth is, there's not whole lot that can be done to stop bad buyers who are motivated to keep wasting our time.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:38 PM, Xenosmilus said:

It's only for the 9.8's.  I think the ones that can get good money are 6,8 and 14. Big money 12,13,18 and 23, REALLY big money 15,16,17 and 24. Just my 2c. Anything else I'd say $100-ish.

I know #23 has the Avengers crossover, but there are more 9.8s of 23 than any issue past #3 with the exception of 9. As the prices on these climb to the $200 mark we are seeing, I'm thinking we will see a lot more 9.8s start to get slabbed. I guess the 15 and 17 make sense as mid-run issues with under ten copies in 9.8, but issue 15 is probably the worst storyline of the entire run (at least 16 has a cool cover with the awful story) and there just hasn't been incentive to slab these books until very recently. 

On 10/10/2019 at 2:32 PM, F For Fake said:

FWIW, as a seller, I HAVE had winners contact me IMMEDIATELY after an auction ended, with various sob stories, asking me to cancel the sale. There was a time when I'd make them go through the whole process of waiting for them to not pay, opening the eBay case, etc. Because I was petty like that. But these days i tend to just cancel it immediately and offer to the next highest bidders, just to get the sale complete and off the books. So, this sort of situation may seem suspicious, but isn't necessarily what it seems. if the other items all look legit, chances are this one was as well.

Yup-- THIS exactly-- it's happening more and more on eBay.   For a while there I was getting a LOT of bid cancellations too-- that makes ME look bad.   I've since put in my listing that if you retract a bid I ban your account from bidding and that has just about ended the retractions completely.   There are a lot of insufficiently_thoughtful_person buyers out there and I get so tired of excuses, but I'll do the same thing if the high bidder backs out I'll try the second chance option before relisting.

NOTE: the board changed my line to insufficientlly_thoughtful_person by the way.   What the heck is that?

Edited by AndyFish
Board Nonsense

7 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

Yup-- THIS exactly-- it's happening more and more on eBay.   For a while there I was getting a LOT of bid cancellations too-- that makes ME look bad.   I've since put in my listing that if you retract a bid I ban your account from bidding and that has just about ended the retractions completely.   There are a lot of insufficiently_thoughtful_person buyers out there and I get so tired of excuses, but I'll do the same thing if the high bidder backs out I'll try the second chance option before relisting.

NOTE: the board changed my line to insufficientlly_thoughtful_person by the way.   What the heck is that?

Censorship 

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

About the last 5 issues are really hard for me to find any almost any grade.
Same with Shogun Warriors, but I can find VG copies of Shogun.

I have trouble even finding a VG in the last 5 issues of Godzilla.

19 is pretty common. As a matter of fact I believe there is one on eBay now.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, romanheart said:

9.8 gotta have it nonsense. They just command stupid prices. The difference between 9.6/9.8/9.8 is minimal if even decipherable for a BA book.

This used to baffle me as well, until I realized that the actual books are secondary for some people who simply collect grades. I find this especially true on other comic sites where the members are perhaps a bit less sophisticated than on CGC;  sites where "clean & press" is the default maneuver on anything below 9.8, often accompanied by no understanding of the concept "pressable defects." Trying not to sound judgmental here, my favorite book in my collection is a 4.0 and I sure would be happy if it were a 9.8, but some of the behavior of grade collectors just kind of has me shaking my head.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, NerdingOut said:

FYI - I bid $252 on the #12. Not sure why I wasn't offered a second chance at that price. But, I'm happy to have grabbed if for $175. My losing bids were #12 - $252, #13 - $225 ( I have a CBCS 9.8 WP at CGC for crossover regrade now. So, I wasn't as committed to this one), #18 - $185. All of those were last minute snipe bids that weren't good enough to win. There was just more competition among a very few of us who we're willing to go well beyond GPA to lock up books that don't come up often. As I said, I felt pretty confident those bids we're well more than enough and it turned out some of you guys we're willing to do even more.

Maybe the winner took another look at the #12 and decided he didn't want to pay $257 for a miscut 9.8? Or he won multiple books, did not think he would win so many, and realized he did not have the budget for it and begged out of one of them? There are times when I put out a bunch of bids and if I actually won them I would be toast, but I know I will lose 90% of the auctions. As for why the seller did not second chance you at $252...maybe he understood that it would have never gotten into the $200s without the other guy bidding who pulled his bid and decided it would not be right to take advantage? It's a good theory. I might do something similar if I felt the #2 bid got there because the #1 bidder acted off, particularly if I am happy with the outcomes on a bunch of books. But seriously, Godzilla slabs are big money? Is shogun warriors next?

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

It’s short term I think. There are like 3 or 4 of us I think that are trying to complete a 9.8 run and are competing for some issues. It will pass most likely.

Rummaging through my boxes pulled some random Godzilla issue in the teens and was staring long and hard at it trying to make it look like a 9.8...

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

Rummaging through my boxes pulled some random Godzilla issue in the teens and was staring long and hard at it trying to make it look like a 9.8...

Collecting is a obsessive hobby by nature lol. If you collect for the stories then you don’t really need the books, just read them online which would also be cheaper and not take up any space! 

7 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Collecting is a obsessive hobby by nature lol. If you collect for the stories then you don’t really need the books, just read them online which would also be cheaper and not take up any space! 

I fell into the Godzilla run maybe by accident. After completing the Devil Dinosaur run it seemed like a cool title to build a set of, collect what you love and all that. I was completely god smacked by the bids that came out of the auction. Thanks for all the discussion.

CB

There was exactly one dealer at NYCC who had Godzilla issues later than ten or so. He had the entire run raw, but they were either over priced for their grade or were signed. I guess I should have looked more closely at them. I only have the first half of the run out together, but keep thinking I’ll find higher grade raw copies of the final 12 issues at a show but I don’t. 

Edited by speedcake