• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massacred on eBay tonight by Godzilla.
1 1

129 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, speedcake said:

There was exactly one dealer at NYCC who had Godzilla issues later than ten or so. He had the entire run raw, but they were either over priced for their grade or were signed. I guess I should have looked more closely at them. I only have the first half of the run out together, but keep thinking I’ll find higher grade raw copies of the final 12 issues at a show but I don’t. 

HUH? Maybe the last couple of issues, but how is this a hard run to put together? Are Japanese collectors hoarding them? Or are you only talking about 9.8 candidates?

23 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Shogun Warriors Rule! 

I’m considering doing a 9.8 run also... I’m running out of room for books though :roflmao:

I don’t think they have the toy shoguns that I had as a kid in the comics if I recall. They were some other characters.

Edited by Xenosmilus

18 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

There goes my idea of making a 2nd registry set!

@NoMan has a point @Jordysnordymaybe consider Shoguns instead. It’s around the same “age” as Godzilla comics and still cheap. If you want a fun “hunt” check them out!

Edited by Xenosmilus

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I would imagine that Godzilla 9.8’s are tougher than something like an ASM from the same era in a 9.8.  People saved their ASM.  Godzilla was at one point dollar bin fodder. 

So were the spideys. Just more of them. Going through my boxes hunting for 210s and I realized I have 7-10 copies of nearly every issue from the mid 150s through 200s, mostly 9.0 or better. When the heck did I accumulate these????

11 hours ago, the blob said:

HUH? Maybe the last couple of issues, but how is this a hard run to put together? Are Japanese collectors hoarding them? Or are you only talking about 9.8 candidates?

Then dealers should kindly bring along more copies? I looked for Godzilla at every single dealer I stopped by over four days at NYCC. Only one had more than at most a handful of issues, and those copies were mostly mid grade fillers. Most had none at all. No, I don’t ever look for 9.8 candidates only. I do look for VF or better. 

I’m sure eBay will provide many issues I’m looking for , but I like to get them here or there at shows. I have #1-12 , and those are the issues I mainly see when a dealer does happen to have any at all. 

Edited by speedcake

4 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Then dealers should kindly bring along more copies? I looked for Godzilla at every single dealer I stopped by over four days at NYCC. Only one had more than at most a handful of issues, and those copies were mostly mid grade fillers. Most had none at all. No, I don’t ever look for 9.8 candidates only. I do look for VF or better. 

I’m sure eBay will provide many issues I’m looking for , but I like to get them here or there at shows. I have #1-12 , and those are the issues I mainly see when a dealer does happen to have any at all. 

It’s an easy run to get, period. A 9.8 run is a different story.

About 8 years ago Earl Shaw brought a bronze/copper/modern collection to Heroes that had multiples of every issue of Godzilla. I purchased 50 copies from him (two complete sets) and had Herb Trimpe sign 1-24 for me. I got many 9.8’s out of both batches  

Earl was selling them for $1 each. 

7 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

It’s an easy run to get, period. A 9.8 run is a different story.

Period, huh. Ok! discussion over.  I never said it was hard to get. All I said was I looked for it at NYCC, a single show, and found one dealer who bothered to bring the run.  I'm certainly not getting involved in some omgosh 9.8 only rawr! tit for tat over this.  I do not care about it that much.

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

About 8 years ago Earl Shaw brought a bronze/copper/modern collection to Heroes that had multiples of every issue of Godzilla. I purchased 50 copies from him (two complete sets) and had Herb Trimpe sign 1-24 for me. I got many 9.8’s out of both batches  

So your controlling the market?

1 minute ago, speedcake said:

Period, huh. Ok! discussion over.  I never said it was hard to get. All I said was I looked for it at NYCC, a single show, and found one dealer who bothered to bring the run.  I'm certainly not getting involved in some omgosh 9.8 only rawr! tit for tat over this.  I do not care about it that much.

I meant if you just want to read the story!!!

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

I meant if you just want to read the story!!!

Oh  :headbang:   Which I do, but I also try to find VF or better raw copies and between East Coast Comic Con and NYCC this year, the two biggest shows I made it to, I didn't find much :(   So yeah I can only imagine how tough finding 9.8 candidates must be, especially for the later issues.  

8 minutes ago, joeypost said:

That’s too much power!!! ;-)

2 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Oh  :headbang:   Which I do, but I also try to find VF or better raw copies and between East Coast Comic Con and NYCC this year, the two biggest shows I made it to, I didn't find much :(   So yeah I can only imagine how tough finding 9.8 candidates must be, especially for the later issues.  

I have the same problem with Fright Night comics.No one wants to dig 'em out and lug them around,but I want them.