• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art DPS Thread
1 1

130 posts in this topic

Nice. Colouring has improved so much the last 20 years.   You can’t even tell that’s the same art right away.   So much shading (like the shadows on his eyes or arms is just done digitally now at the colouring stage). 

Edited by Bronty

52 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Nice. Colouring has improved so much the last 20 years.   You can’t even tell that’s the same art right away.   So much shading (like the shadows on his eyes or arms is just done digitally now at the colouring stage). 

Agreed. I had blindly 'undervalued' the ongoing technological advances in this medium's creative process for too long...from the penciler to the colorist, their 'modern' skills & techniques have since (re-)gained my appreciation.

While the DPS by JR JR & Janson was created 13 years ago, Janson's mastery of the line work was & is still strikingly beautiful. The details of the Apache & support helicopter squadron are mesmerising to review...

Yeah but at the same time it comes at the cost of the originals sometimes not looking as good because a greater percentage of the art is done digitally.   Yours has good contrast with the dark choppers overhead so it doesn't suffer but many pieces have more outline and less rendering than before, because the penciller and inker are literally leaving blank space for the colorist to work (the shading on the main figure for example).    On the other hand, the more modern art is clean - no messy hand cut and glued pieces and such - and a lot of artists are doing very nice work.     Your page looks great.

Edited by Bronty

On 2/8/2020 at 7:55 AM, dichotomy said:

Great thread! Oddly, a DPS is not something I ever look for, but it turns out I've ended up with a few. All on the modern side. I've also included 2 wraparound covers. 

Two from the Adam Hughes story in FF 650 - both are loads of fun to look at and rendered as only AH! can. 2 boards each.

Three from Silver Surfer Black #3, single boards. Tradd the Madman Moore

Absolute Carnage / Immortal Hulk on 2 boards by Filipe Andrade

Shazam! #9 on 2 boards by Marco Santucci - Shazam facing down Black Adam and the 7 Sins

The wraparound covers are coincidentally both by Hitch, one is recreation/modification of The Authority #1 cover (with Neary), and one is an unused JLA cover. 

IMG_6811.jpeg

IMG_7304.jpeg

IMG_7303.jpeg

IMG_7294.jpeg

IMG_9073.jpeg

Those were ALL tremendous pieces but these in particular stole my heart. 

The humor of the AH! strip poker scene in this DPS has stayed with me. 

Tradd Moore's Surfer is going to be one of those perfect storm moments in comics that's looked back on as something really magical. Sorry I didn't get any of it. 

And that Santucci.....Como Sei Bella..... 

58 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Those were ALL tremendous pieces but these in particular stole my heart. 

The humor of the AH! strip poker scene in this DPS has stayed with me. 

Tradd Moore's Surfer is going to be one of those perfect storm moments in comics that's looked back on as something really magical. Sorry I didn't get any of it. 

And that Santucci.....Como Sei Bella..... 

Thanks! The strip poker DPS is a particular favorite - I knew I wanted it when I read the story. Thor’s expression slays me every single time. Plus he works big so lots of goodness. And don’t miss his cameo as bartender in the other piece. 

Edited by dichotomy

On 10/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, davidtere said:

hDIp6Geb_0910171356121sbpi.JPG

A DPS from DC Comics 1st issue Special # 5. From the same chap that Mr. GlendGold doesn't recall his name (that was my morning chuckle...thanks Glen)

Now, THATS a DPS. & Glen's one is decent as well. Kirby wasn't the first to do one, but he perfected the form.