• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the first comic you remember buying/having as a kid?
5 5

145 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

F.F 25 is the book that made me say WOW!!!, but I did not own that.

I would ride my bike to the drug store each week when I got my .25 cent allowance and these are just a few of the books I vividly remember buying.

My father came down the basement and tossed me a Flash comic. I think it was the one below.   After that, I would ride my bike to the drug store/pharmacy to meet a friend and we went to the back where the spinner racks were located. I think I had a 50 cent allowance before I got a  newspaper route.  He was into DC so I started collecting mainly DC

Cover

I had picked up some individual issues of comics here and there as a young kid (Star Wars, various Harveys), but the comic that I bought from rack at a 7-11 one day was the one that instantly kick-started my love of the medium. Reading Secret Wars 5 (and picking up the previous issues shortly after) instantly put me in the X-Men camp, and I've never looked back. Ended up going back next day and getting X-Men 185, then started picking up X-Men (and rest of Secret Wars) each month after that. Also, very soon after, starting picking up back issues of the Byrne run and Cockrum run before that as much as I could.

Marvel_Super_Heroes_Secret_Wars_Vol_1_5.jpg

Edited by p-kay14
changing wording

6 hours ago, piper said:

I remember buying What If 1 off the rack in 1977. That couldn’t have been my first comic but I would guess that it was some random FF, Cap, or ASM. I think it’s cool that all of you seem to distinctly remember your first book.

I remember everything about that day.  the smells, the weather, where i was sitting.  It was the summer right after 3rd grade.

4 hours ago, grebal said:

asm151.jpg.6000bb1fb914f3fd532ff8fa7b85f41e.jpg

Details, my friend. What were the details? But yeah, this is when Spiderman was Spiderman. I can almost taste summer and Farner's Trading Post in rural Virginia where I'd spin through the racks and grab books! Good stuff!

Edited by NoMan

I liked the Gold Key (?) Twilight Zone books and Ripley's Believe It or Not. I made a super-8 monster film as a kid and ripped off the WEIRD! EERIE! AUTHENTIC! from the Ripley's comic book front cover for my monster movie's poster I hung around the neighborhood for my basement premier! 

Edited by NoMan