• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the first comic you remember buying/having as a kid?
5 5

145 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

Amazing Spider-Man #7 - "The Vulture's Return !".  I was 7 years old. I can vividly remember  flipping through the comics on the spinner rack and seeing that cover.  Had to buy it.  The funny thing is, I don't remember any of the other comics on that rack.

detail.jpg.93e7551c221fda92a6bae60b3761485b.jpg

Here ya go:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1963,_December

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1963,_December_(Publication)

2 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Was anyone’s Action #1? :roflmao:

I know a guy bought Action #1 off rack.  He was six.  He said he made such a fuss at the man lifting a car his mom bought it for him.

I had to be about 6ish and on a family vacation when we stopped for gas and my mother gave me some cash to buy something to read, I'm sure this is because I was running rampart through the RV and driving my parents crazy. I came out with x-men 262. What 6 year old boy wouldn't stop and grab it?

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_162.jpg

6 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

That cover is something else. Did Wrightson do interiors on that too? If so I’d like to see it in black and white

You’d like the IDW Wrightson Artifact Edition.

Edited by Ken Aldred

20 hours ago, csaag said:

My father came down the basement and tossed me a Flash comic. I think it was the one below.   After that, I would ride my bike to the drug store/pharmacy to meet a friend and we went to the back where the spinner racks were located. I think I had a 50 cent allowance before I got a  newspaper route.  He was into DC so I started collecting mainly DC

What year was this want to see how allowances followed inflation, my 25 cents was in 1965.

18 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I've told this story before. 

7 years old, it's 1982. ($3 allowance would buy 6 comics, or 5 comics and a Charleston Chew, those were the days) 

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Back when I was getting into comics in early 65 my 25 cent allowance could buy two comics or 5 packs of baseball cards or a comic and a Slurpee or...

17 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

Amazing Spider-Man #7 - "The Vulture's Return !".  I was 7 years old. I can vividly remember  flipping through the comics on the spinner rack and seeing that cover.  Had to buy it.  The funny thing is, I don't remember any of the other comics on that rack.

7 years old in 62, same age as me, glad to see I am not the only old guy here. :preach:  (thumbsu

The only spinner racks were at the supermarket and 7-11, at the drug store the comics were on the very bottom of the large wooden magazine rack stacked one on top of the other and by time I got there they were just a scattered mess, however...

It was like a treasure hunt looking through the pile of books and if I found a book I did not have...:banana: :cloud9:  :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

this was the first one i bought off the stands... i thought the double sized issue for a quarter was a great deal because Mad Magazine back then cost 35 cents

Image result for asm 102 comic

The same reason I was thrilled as a kid to buy the DC 100 pagers, and that was only a few months after my first Avengers 120 purchase.  For 15p they seemed like fantastic value for money.  Different in that there wasn't anywhere near as much new material as you got in the Marvel books, though.  In another sense, even if I was reading a reprint from the Golden Age or Silver Age it was all new and unfamiliar to me, and well worth the modest asking price.

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

What year was this want to see how allowances followed inflation, my 25 cents was in 1965.

I was born in 63 so it was prob 7-10 years after that when I started getting an allowance.  Let's see- the rule of 72 states that an 8% interest rate would take 9 years to double.

I'd take an 8% guaranteed return today. Once I gt the paper route and  a local LCS opened up, it was about a 3 mile bike ride to it - which i did summer/winter/rain

That pharmacy was still there up to about 5 years ago

These three. The Metal Men #14 my older brother gave to me after pestering him to death about it. (He was a big Superman fan, but would occasionally buy other DC titles.)  When I started to get an allowance of my own for helping with household chores, I immediately bought a Metal Men #20 fresh off the rack at the local drug store. Once I saw you could do a mail subscription, I signed up and the first issue that came was Metal Men #22. Thus started my life-long obsession with comic books. Unfortunately, my original copies are long gone as is most of my original collection.

2031231237_METALMEN14B.jpg.12f2d67190ad8fb14a0f1e009ad3b37e.jpg1934758468_METALMEN20B.jpg.20f449820e96141ca33e8d8c8e489c16.jpg684432261_metalmen22B_edited.jpg.984f31fa9b2caf5f31610f4644ff85da.jpg

My first comic I remember was Daredevil 33. My older brothers friend came to the house one evening with a box of comics for me. Daredevil 33 was the first book I pulled out. It has become one of my “Catcher in the Rye” books. This isn’t the original copy I got but I still have it buried in a box. 

F3928900-D39F-44CB-B578-77BC9F9B8D50.jpeg

This was really tough to go back and try to figure out.  Although I know I bought many comics before this (I remember seeing X-men 94 on the stands), this is the earliest book I clearly remember buying.  It was at the student union of the university at Stony Brook, New York.  My mom was finishing her dissertation and she would take me there on rare occasions and let me get a coke, a candy bar and a comic book.  I was 5 years old.

Being too young to understand the concept of “reprints”, all I knew was I loved Spider-man and the stories were incredibly compelling.  So, I set about collecting this title after buying this issue and loved every chapter of the unfolding narrative.  From the Green Goblin to the six-armed Spider-man to the Savage Land all the way to the death of Gwen Stacy, these remain some of my favorite stories in all of comics.  Probably also explains my lifelong appreciation of Gil Kane. :cloud9:

It wasn’t for a few years that I became aware that these had been originally printed in Amazing Spider-man 7 years before, that they were essentially worthless from a collecting point of view.  When I did find out, it didn’t really matter because I still loved the writing and artwork in these issues.  (thumbsu

8AEF1CEE-7936-4F09-9C6F-58B697BEA02F.jpeg

(Not my copy, image taken from interweb)

Edited by Randall Dowling
Clarification

8 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

This was really tough to go back and try to figure out.  Although I know I bought many comics before this (I remember seeing X-men 94 on the stands), this is the earliest book I clearly remember buying.  It was at the student union of the university at Stony Brook, New York.  My mom was finishing her dissertation and she would take me there on rare occasions and let me get a coke, a candy bar and a comic book.  I was 5 years old.

Being too young to understand the concept of “reprints”, all I knew was I loved Spider-man and the stories were incredibly compelling.  So, I set about collecting this title after buying this issue and loved every chapter of the unfolding narrative.  From the Green Goblin to the six-armed Spider-man to the Savage Land all the way to the death of Gwen Stacy, these remain some of my favorite stories in all of comics.  Probably also explains my lifelong appreciation of Gil Kane. :cloud9:

It wasn’t for a few years that I became aware that these had been originally printed in Amazing Spider-man 7 years before, that they were essentially worthless from a collecting point of view.  When I did find out, it didn’t really matter because I still loved the writing and artwork in these issues.  (thumbsu

8AEF1CEE-7936-4F09-9C6F-58B697BEA02F.jpeg

(Not my copy, image taken from interweb)

Well, at least it got “Code” approved.

18 hours ago, Jaylam said:

These three. The Metal Men #14 my older brother gave to me after pestering him to death about it. (He was a big Superman fan, but would occasionally buy other DC titles.)  When I started to get an allowance of my own for helping with household chores, I immediately bought a Metal Men #20 fresh off the rack at the local drug store. Once I saw you could do a mail subscription, I signed up and the first issue that came was Metal Men #22. Thus started my life-long obsession with comic books. Unfortunately, my original copies are long gone as is most of my original collection.

2031231237_METALMEN14B.jpg.12f2d67190ad8fb14a0f1e009ad3b37e.jpg

Great starting point.

As a kid I always found Chemo to be a bit bizarre and disturbing.

The later reprint in the series is in with Avengers 120 as one of my very earliest comic buying memories.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Great starting point.

As a kid I always found Chemo to be a bit bizarre and disturbing.

The later reprint in the series is in with Avengers 120 as one of my very earliest comic buying memories.

Chemo: toxic waste come to life. Kind of became the Metal Men’s arch nemesis. Way better than most of the cornball evil robots they frequently battled.

Even though I was mostly a superhero comic buyer, there was a brief time when I was about 9-11 years old that I got into some cartoon titles. Hot Stuff and Pink Panther being my favorites along with Sad Sack, Casper and Richie Rich to round out some of the others I remember buying, maybe even a Betty and Veronica in there once. 
I think this is the first Hot Stuff I bought.

A1E5F958-99C8-49A1-964A-3BBD204047C1.jpeg.e9c6526becdd93337d41760a1e589d7e.jpeg

10 hours ago, Senormac said:

One of the first anyways.  There are like 3 or 4 that I can't quite decide on.  

965602228_DonaldDuck113.jpg.f68061d79e42deccdaf932499e033b05.jpg

I suspected it might've been a Gold Key. :smile: 

I feel sure you once posted convention pics from the 70s with some prized Magnus or Turok issues?

Edited by Ken Aldred