• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the first comic you remember buying/having as a kid?
5 5

145 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mrc said:

.....first book (I can remember) being bought for me, followed by the first book I bought with my own money. Who could resist a free spider-man mask AND the startling secret of FOOM!

spmn2.jpg

A great place to begin.  I missed most of the early issues of Mighty World of Marvel, and this was my own starting point with Marvel UK reprints as well.

I had earlier comics (Disney etc) but this one launched me into monthly reader mode. Quite lucky that my first foray into super-hero comics put me directly in the path of the Great Darkness Saga. I remember stopping at minute-shops after little league to pick up the next issue in the series. Talk about expectation!!!

image.png.4d3daa40252d260208d5e33bdd977ea4.png

1 hour ago, RedRaven said:

I had earlier comics (Disney etc) but this one launched me into monthly reader mode. Quite lucky that my first foray into super-hero comics put me directly in the path of the Great Darkness Saga. I remember stopping at minute-shops after little league to pick up the next issue in the series. Talk about expectation!!!

image.png.4d3daa40252d260208d5e33bdd977ea4.png

This era of the Legion is vastly under appreciated. Excellent stories and art.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I missed most of the early issues of Mighty World of Marvel, and this was my own starting point with Marvel UK reprints as well.

I'm sure there was a brief TV ad in the UK for the first issue of Spider-man Weekly, which caught my attention and prompted me to buy it? I can't be certain?

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I suspected it might've been a Gold Key. :smile: 

I feel sure you once posted convention pics from the 70s with some prized Magnus or Turok issues?

I did love me some Turok.  Still think it was one of the greatest kids adventure comics ever.

My progression was Gold Key for a couple years, to DC for a couple years, to eventually Marvel  

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

First comic I ever bought? I’d been buying random Batman’s and DC war books when I could talk my parents into buying them.

One day at the drug store I spotted this. Never heard of the character or Marvel for that matter but this got my attention and I popped down my lunch money for it. 

A big day. I immediately became a fan and bought this title every month as well as many Marvels I could get.

My original copy. One of only a handful from my original childhood collection I still have. 

1F7F1F1A-D235-462E-A6AD-91A3279610CF.jpeg

Now there is a book with character. A well loved survivor!

17 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This, got it from a friend’s older brother. That cover really grabbed me. Still does. Didn’t know the artist but I do now.

F8B05942-72D7-46DB-930B-E40A31DE2885.jpeg

Attack of the human head lice!

The first comic I remember seeing is Fantastic Four 93. I was being baby sat by the neighbor, and bravely snuck into their eldest son’s room. Fresh off the rack, he had it enshrined on his music stand. Very impressive display.

The first comic I ever bought was Marvel Super-Heroes 45, a reprint of Tales To Astonish 90. Both Subby and Hulk got their tails whooped, and my older brothers told me I HAD to buy the next issue to see them get even!