• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the first comic you remember buying/having as a kid?
5 5

145 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

DC only dominated the marketplace until Marvel came on the scene.

No in the SA they way outpublished Marvel.  They also controlled distribution and marvel had to use them and they kept their titles low.

1 minute ago, kav said:

No in the SA they way outpublished Marvel.  They also controlled distribution and marvel had to use them and they kept their titles low.

That may be true but in my neighborhood, Marvel ruled the roost. You had to trade several DCs to get a Marvel. And maybe 5 or 6 Archies or Harveys.

2 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Hate to shatter any preconceptions.... but my first comic (in the mid 60's) was a Turok Son Of Stone. Dinosaurs :cloud9: Indians :cloud9: it was no contest. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Or in my case Star Spangled War. Dinos and war beat Indians any day.

Just now, Robot Man said:

Or in my case Star Spangled War. Dinos and war beat Indians any day.

The war books were too sophisticated for me back then.... I was still digging on Davey and Goliath Claymation …. and an occasional Romper Room when no one was looking. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That may be true but in my neighborhood, Marvel ruled the roost. You had to trade several DCs to get a Marvel. And maybe 5 or 6 Archies or Harveys.

I guess most kids were able to buy comics every month.  Not me it was rare-Marvel with its continued stories was a non starter. 

Living in the middle of nowhere in the 60's, there were only Gold Key, Harvey and DC on the racks (and later Tower and Charlton). Marvels were few and far between for the first couple years. I don't remember seeing any at Woolworth's until probably around 1964. Surprisingly there was a grocery store that sold remaindered Marvels at 5 cents each,don't know where they got them,but I owned quite a few stripped cover Marvels. 

1 hour ago, Montezuma said:

Living in the middle of nowhere in the 60's, there were only Gold Key, Harvey and DC on the racks (and later Tower and Charlton). Marvels were few and far between for the first couple years. I don't remember seeing any at Woolworth's until probably around 1964. Surprisingly there was a grocery store that sold remaindered Marvels at 5 cents each,don't know where they got them,but I owned quite a few stripped cover Marvels. 

That's interesting that Marvels weren't common early on.  What part of the country did you grow up in?

6 hours ago, Norrin's lawyer said:

My first comic was the one in my avatar (picture below, but not the actual copy in my collection).  I still love the cover!  My mom bought it for me at the supermarket when I was about four.  I probably read it a hundred times.  My mom was the one that bought me most of my early comics.  She would bring home a stack when I was sick in bed.  Also, when I left for college, and became distant from the hobby and interested in less noble pursuits, she would swing by the LCS and pick up those the owner held in my file, and I would read through them in one evening when I would come home to visit.  I made it my avatar to honor her because of recent health struggles. 

870939.jpg.fc2e67093490e9f7e7cc3a0154bfc186.jpg

Another great starting point.

Always liked Molecule Man and Gerber’s Man-Thing stories.

Also, the Kane art, although that tends to be the most polarising aspect amongst readers.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

That's interesting that Marvels weren't common early on.  What part of the country did you grow up in?

29 minutes ago, Montezuma said:

Northern Minnesota

In the deprived, frozen north of England during the 60s and 70s we had every imprint available; Marvel, DC, Archie, Charlton, Atlas, Skywald etc.

That said, you’re never really located that far from a seaport here.

9 hours ago, drotto said:

It may be rather common, but my first comic purchase was the graphic novel for Dark Phoenix Saga. By the end of the summer after reading that I had put together an X-Men run from about 150 to 300 which was caught up at that time.

Not so much common, more like starting with an absolute classic, and better by far than my mediocre Avengers 120.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 hours ago, mrc said:

I'm sure there was a brief TV ad in the UK for the first issue of Spider-man Weekly, which caught my attention and prompted me to buy it? I can't be certain?

I don’t recall seeing it.

All I remember is that when Mighty World of Marvel 1 appeared all the local kids bought it and were really excited about the title for a month or so, and then, as typically happens, the frenzy died out. I missed the first few issues of MWOM, but was ready and waiting to pounce  by the time the Spider-Man comic appeared.

A short- lived fad for all the other kids in the street, a lifetime obsession for me.

My first comic was a Brave and the Bold, but pre-superhero. I can't remember anything about it except that there was a Silent Knight story. I was a sucker for anything with knights or dinosaurs. I think my second comic was a Classics Illustrated: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dinosaurs), and I liked Turok, too (Dinosaurs again!).

A couple come to mind for me. First is Star Wars #9, because of the rabbit on the cover and his comment.

300?cb=20080913123243

This one I bought, no idea why. It sat in my collection for years.

300?cb=20080913123243

And this Marvel Age also lingered in my long boxes forever:

marvel_age_38__heman__1540795725_e1c2d54