• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the first comic you remember buying/having as a kid?
5 5

145 posts in this topic

Glad to see so many Minnesotans in this thread!  I grew up in Duluth (18 years), where the most likely comics you'd find were Gold Key, Archies, Richie Rich/Casper/Wendy, and the like.  

But the drugstores carried Marvel and DC, and man did I look for those like buried treasure!

One thing I noticed is that locally as I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, no place around me ever stamped their books with date stamps and I didn't even know it was a practice until I started having access to back issues from other areas and would sometimes run across books that had them.

23 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

latest?cb=20081218203201

Bought it off the stands with my allowance money.   Loved this cover even though I couldn't understand it.

Nice cover.  

To me, Batman, his cape especially, looks like something Marshall Rogers would’ve drawn, a few years later.

1 hour ago, AndyFish said:

latest?cb=20081218203201

Bought it off the stands with my allowance money.   Loved this cover even though I couldn't understand it.

Nice first pick up-the great DC 25 cent 52 Big Pages era.

Edited by kav

45 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Man that's a tough one.  I think I was about 6, and my Dad would buy me Donald Duck, and Peanuts, and I distinctly remember Beetle Bailey. I still have a carp load of my original books.

Um I thought your first book was Vampirella Creepy Combat- :taptaptap:

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I remember mine now

Batman annual 14

Wicked twoface cover

He just better watch himself!!

On 10/13/2019 at 8:19 PM, kav said:

amazing that so many people's first comic was marvel when DC dominated the marketplace.

the only DC i ever bought as a kid was The Flash,,. would rather have bought an issue of Little Lulu than some of the other DC line up of drek lol 

On 10/13/2019 at 8:34 PM, kav said:

I guess most kids were able to buy comics every month.  Not me it was rare-Marvel with its continued stories was a non starter. 

thats why i never bought a Fantastic Four as a kid , they were always continued and i knew if i bought one i would be right in the middle of a story... also comics had to compete with baseball cards for my allowance and those had the extra bonus of gum !!!!!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

the only DC i ever bought as a kid was The Flash,,. would rather have bought an issue of Little Lulu than some of the other DC line up of drek lol 

:sorry:

33 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Little Lulu were good reads (thumbsu

I was more of a Little Dot man.

50 minutes ago, Sandflea said:

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_149.jpg.aca7c255e5e49076827ce76fe6e88e5e.jpg

As a kid, I liked the thought of getting 2 Spideys in 1 book for a quarter; also thought the "dark-blue" Spidey was the clone...

This was the first Spider man book I ever bought.  It was nothing like the cartoon I was like wtf?