• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best place to buy pieces of cardboard for mailing raw comics
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Need some help.  I’ll be selling a ton of raw comics soon and need to know the best place to buy some 9.5 x 12.5 or 10x13 pieces of cardboard to put the bagged comics between when I mail them. 
I bag and board all and have plenty of mailing boxes but need the cardboard to put them in between. 
what do y’all do?  
thanks! 
jeff

23 minutes ago, Gruson said:

Hi all,

Need some help.  I’ll be selling a ton of raw comics soon and need to know the best place to buy some 9.5 x 12.5 or 10x13 pieces of cardboard to put the bagged comics between when I mail them. 
I bag and board all and have plenty of mailing boxes but need the cardboard to put them in between. 
what do y’all do?  
thanks! 
jeff

doubt the post office would be pleased, but you can order priority mail boxes for free and just cut them up.

56 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You can only use Priority for Priority shipments.

1.jpg

Also, USPS priority boxes are made out of some flimsy shizzle. It would take you three or four boxes to reach the thickness of a decent cardboard pad.

2 hours ago, Gruson said:

Hi all,

what do y’all do?  
thanks! 
jeff

For years I was very cost-conscious - so I'd hoard boxes and then use box cutter to cut my own boards. That became a monthly event (cutting boxes up) that was a pain - so when it affected my mood about selling (geez, can't list new items until I've cut up a batch of boxes) I smartened up.  Someone on here suggested buying them.  You are already there - good call - just buy them !  Much easier even if it just costs you a few bucks.

I bought some larger boards- still must cut once down middle to make a nice cardboard sandwich.  These are 12x18s (cut in half to 12x9 inch).

2146302710_IMG_17031.thumb.JPG.b8ea3da1929cd48efe718318aa9715c1.JPG

10 minutes ago, Gruson said:

Thanks. Yeah I don’t mind buying them. I’ll need a couple hundred for sure. I’ll check out the link above. 
Hopefully find some 12x9 and priced cheap. Thanks 

Amazon has some. Lot of online sources.  I probably bought the bigger ones because easier/cheaper.

E.g.

https://www.packagingsupplies.com/products/18-x-12-corrugated-pads

But if you search around online you should be able to find a size that doesn't require cutting. !

13 minutes ago, grebal said:

For years I was very cost-conscious - so I'd hoard boxes and then use box cutter to cut my own boards. That became a monthly event (cutting boxes up) that was a pain - so when it affected my mood about selling (geez, can't list new items until I've cut up a batch of boxes) I smartened up.  Someone on here suggested buying them.  You are already there - good call - just buy them !  Much easier even if it just costs you a few bucks.

I bought some larger boards- still must cut once down middle to make a nice cardboard sandwich.  These are 12x18s (cut in half to 12x9 inch).

2146302710_IMG_17031.thumb.JPG.b8ea3da1929cd48efe718318aa9715c1.JPG

Finding out that I could buy pre-cut cardboard CHANGED MY LIFE, lo those many years ago, and I wish I'd known even sooner. Cutting cardboard was the absolute pits, and I hated every second of it. It's definitely worth whatever pittance they're charging to have someone else cut 'em, for sure. Life's too short!

Just now, F For Fake said:

Finding out that I could buy pre-cut cardboard CHANGED MY LIFE, lo those many years ago, and I wish I'd known even sooner. Cutting cardboard was the absolute pits, and I hated every second of it. It's definitely worth whatever pittance they're charging to have someone else cut 'em, for sure. Life's too short!

You might have been the one who wised me up to buying the pads pre-cut.  It happened here at CGC boards, just a few years ago soon after I'd joined this board.

4 minutes ago, grebal said:

You might have been the one who wised me up to buying the pads pre-cut.  It happened here at CGC boards, just a few years ago soon after I'd joined this board.

I'll take the credit, regardless! :acclaim:

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I mainly get my cardboard mailers from buying comics on ebay.

That's a good idea too. I hold onto every scrap of packing material I receive, unless they're totally trashed. Boxes, mailers, boards, bubble wrap. You can save a fortune if you're a supply miser!

The only thing I buy other than postage is the box itself from Walmart for 62 cents. All packing material is free from scrounging around the school I work at or my wife's make-up business. I get all the cardboard backing I could possibly use through our school cafeteria. Their trays, utensils, etc. all come in large boxes and are in perfect shape. I just ask them to set aside boxes when I'm around. 

7 minutes ago, Conacon said:

The only thing I buy other than postage is the box itself from Walmart for 62 cents. All packing material is free from scrounging around the school I work at or my wife's make-up business. I get all the cardboard backing I could possibly use through our school cafeteria. Their trays, utensils, etc. all come in large boxes and are in perfect shape. I just ask them to set aside boxes when I'm around. 

I imagine one could go to their local supermarket and ask what they do with their boxes. If they just put them out for recycling, maybe they let someone take them if they asked.

My son works at a circuit board manufacturing shop and they let him bring home small amounts of corrugated plastic which are just as lightweight as cardboard and prob even stronger.  I've seen it for sale at stores though I never bothered to note the price. I'd imagine it's not as cheap as cardboard.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I am still cutting now, may have to look into Uline, I like to use double corrugated cardboard, works wonder with graded books.