• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best place to buy pieces of cardboard for mailing raw comics
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Step 6. A must to place “Do Not Bend” sticker and you’re on your way to USPS First Class Shipping and comes to about 6-7oz.

All your paying for is the 13x10 inch poly bags cause the rest is free provided by the Post Office. I always add an extra cardboard as well and comes out to 8oz. 

0B8450B4-0B9D-4613-902A-F2B0619A6A30.jpeg

Edited by Haupia

Uline S-164

Boxed shipping all but eliminates the temptations to bend into a mailbox.

No flailing about with utility knives and dealing with scrap. 

I wrap the comic in 2 plastic grocery bags to cushion it.

They ship first class for under $4 (8oz). I can pack a comic in about 30 seconds.

I have shipped almost 300 of these and have had only one allegedly damaged, although that instance is a bit suspect.

Another benefit is that it can be used as an inner box for a double box priority and come out well under 2 pounds to ship for $8-9. 

I generally get very high marks for packing.

10 hours ago, Haupia said:

Step 6. A must to place “Do Not Bend” sticker and you’re on your way to USPS First Class Shipping and comes to about 6-7oz.

All your paying for is the 13x10 inch poly bags cause the rest is free provided by the Post Office. I always add an extra cardboard as well and comes out to 8oz. 

0B8450B4-0B9D-4613-902A-F2B0619A6A30.jpeg

You leave out the part where its illegal to do that thru the post office. Priority supplies are used for priority shipping only.
I don't like anymore then you do, but eventually they will ding you for it.

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

You leave out the part where its illegal to do that thru the post office. Priority supplies are used for priority shipping only.

Thanks for the info. 

I never, ever, ever buy cardboard to ship comics. I imagine my situation is different than most since I live in nyc where my neighbors and everyone gets boxes sent to them everyday and they are put in the recycling (but even you burbites have recycling day right?). The trick is to use boxes that are not cheap and super-thin (like priority mail boxes). The grain of the box I try to alternate for each comic - one up and down and one side to side. I have a nice box cutter and I simply eye-ball them to fit in the ebay 10 x 12.5 branded sleeves. I use a priority mail mailing envelope to cover the bagged/boarded comic, then tape that to one piece of cardboard, then tape another piece to the first covering the comic. Put in sleeve. Done.

That said, I have never been "dinged" by USPS for using priority supplies in the interior packaging even when I've had packages opened on the very rare occasion.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Could also explain why 1st class stamp is now .55¢ and climbing.....

I use the Gemini Comic Box and also mount the comic(s) to cardboard and then the cardboard to the box... no moving parts.

I cut about 1 1/2" off the shorter outer flap (see pic) and can ship your average copper age comic weighing in at 8 oz....  Box costs me about .60 and cardboard .20. Ship for $5.50 (1st class) to cover costs and buyers thrilled with packaging.

5 stars all day....

The U-line S-164 is a bit lighter so easier to keep the weight in check.

IMG_2021.JPG