• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer Black #3 Original Art Edition Volume
2 2

41 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Great job and video ML.  

I love Tradd's style and he killed it with this issue.  With mini series, it usually takes time for the action to build up so buying issue # 3 was the smart move.

Congratulations.

Cheers!

N.

Haha, I took what I could get! I think everyone who picked up a whole issue is a winner, and anyone who gets any page of issue 4 is equally lucky. I can’t even imagine what 5 is going to be like! I do like that this does stand a bit apart - it’s amazingly legible as a story without the words, with the only difficult transition being his awakening on Ego. Thanks for the kind words. 

5 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Nicely done! Is there anything covering the art inside the book? My concern would be the pages sticking to each other from humidity. Maybe keeping archival tissue paper between would keep them safe.

For a moment there I thought the art was glued on the pages....fortunately a carefully read of the description dispelled the holy terror that had posessed me .  Great great contemporary and yet timeless art

Nothing covering the art. I did think about alternate pages of vellum between the artwork, but it turned out to me not necessary because the mat frames keep the art quite far apart from each other, and it’s also nice to see two pages side by side without the overlay. Also, Nick Derington shared that Chip Kidd has done something similar in the past. 

As I mentioned earlier, I think the later issues, (#3, #4), have more action than the early issues as issues #1 and #2 are more about building up the storyline.

I suspect the original purchaser of issue #1 ended up buying issue #4 and then consigning issue # 1 back to Felix for resale.

If I am correct, it ended up as a win-win for everyone.

8 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

As I mentioned earlier, I think the later issues, (#3, #4), have more action than the early issues as issues #1 and #2 are more about building up the storyline.

I suspect the original purchaser of issue #1 ended up buying issue #4 and then consigning issue # 1 back to Felix for resale.

Wait, what? Issue number 1 pages are back on the market?

11 hours ago, vodou said:

$?

It was listed for $8,000. 

Somewhat unrelated, I’ve come to realize I’ll likely never win something in these art drops. I’m 0-life so far. I do check out the published pages, but the art looks different in B/W. Once the art and prices drop I like to compare pages, see what my options are. Just can’t do this, it seems. I made a request within the first three minutes for this last Surfer drop, which is lightning fast decision making (when it comes to art) for me. Just not fast enough. Oh well. 

5 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

It was listed for $8,000.

Thanks, not light that number at all but it would be for one of the hottest properties right now.

6 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

Somewhat unrelated, I’ve come to realize I’ll likely never win something in these art drops. I’m 0-life so far. I do check out the published pages, but the art looks different in B/W. Once the art and prices drop I like to compare pages, see what my options are. Just can’t do this, it seems. I made a request within the first three minutes for this last Surfer drop, which is lightning fast decision making (when it comes to art) for me. Just not fast enough. Oh well. 

Oh yeah, me too. I don't even try anymore. It's just art; I am happy for Felix and his stable though that he's found a formula for insta-sellouts (in many cases). In general, the way this works is those that get shutout come back next time even more hungry and determined. So if 15 get what they want at each drop and 150 don't, and this is a repeating situation, it doesn't take long for Bill to have to shift server load handling specific to Felix drops ;)

Been there, done that, in other places and it works very well to keep collecting coin from those lacking discipline, particularly if you slowly ramp prices drop over drop. I do not lack :)

The only component missing to put the thing completely over the top (in Felix/stable favor, of course) would be if any of it was flippable. For the most part, Felix prices a little too perfectly and it's all break even or slight loss even a few years out. I don't believe anybody has ever tried to flip immediately post-sellout. Add another ten years though and maybe there will be some notable positive returns for folks other than the pride 'n joy of owning the art (which is not nothing, of course, most of us are comic/art/fans/collectors first and maybe only even!!)