• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multiple Signatures help!
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hello! After a 20 year hiatus in collecting comics I have rediscovered the fun of reading and collecting new comics. Along with that I've found with some artists and writers that I really enjoy and have fallen down the signature series rabbit hole :). Being new to this I was curious as to how other collectors approach getting multiple signatures on a book. For example I have a nice Vampirella #2 that I was hoping to get signed by Artgerm and Christopher Priest, however I can't seem to find a convention with both at the same place at least in the near term. Is the best strategy to usually wait until you can get all signatures at a single event and do it that way? Or is it better to get a signature and get the booked slabbed and then at another conference crack the slab and repeat for the second signature?

Just looking for some advice on the best way to go about this. Thanks in advance!

I feel like there's 3.5 options. (others may chime in with better ideas at some point).

1. As you've stated, you can wait until both creators are at the same convention and try to get them both done at the same time, assuming there is a CGC SS witness or facilitator at that conference.  As you've probably noticed, this is ideal, aside from the difficulty of finding a convention that they are both going to.  Just in general, the largest conventions typically have more creators, and the largest are NYCC, SDCC, Chicago I think.

2.  Also as you've stated, you can get it signed then slabbed, mailed back to you.  Then crack it (in front of a CGC witness) and do it again another convention.  This is obviously at least double the total fees.  Less ideal.

3a.  Probably the most realistic one:  Find a CGC SS Facilitator* who is going to two conventions within a few months of each other where your creators are.  Mail him/her your book, and they get your books signed and submitted, for a fee of course.  The key is that the CGC Facilitator or Witness has to preserve chain of custody.  The downside is that you probably don't get to meet your creators, who you are probably big fans of, and the cost of using a facilitator is likely more than if you just had a normal CGC witness at a convention you actually attended.

3b.  Pretty similar to 3a, except you actually show up in person at one or both of the shows where the creator AND your facilitator is, though the CGC facilitator would have to keep the books between signings.  This is a lot tougher logistically, but you get to physically meet your creators and watch your books get signed.

*CGC SS Facilitator - an independent entity certified/trained by CGC to accept your books and get them signed/witnessed/submitted for CGC SS, generally for a fee (the fees vary though).  It is common for customers to mail their books to these people to get books signed and submitted.  In SOME cases, but not EVERY case, they will hold books between shows to get multiple signatures on a given book. 

You will likely have more questions.  I would recommend you digging around the Signature Room subforum before asking those questions.  Also note that CGC has their own website and customer service employees.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the response! Very helpful. I've definitely started to comb through the sub-forum and it's definitely been helpful. It led me to Rich Henn who has been helping me through my first set of signature series!