• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series - Certificate of Authentication

5 posts in this topic

absent a specific request by you, actually it will get the green qualified label.  Which means it will be graded in a fashion ignoring the signature entirely, but the label will be green.  Alternatively, you can choose that the comic receive the universal blue label where the signature is treated as a defect and graded accordingly.  It will not receive the yellow label.  The CGC SS yellow label is for signatures personally witnessed by CGC SS Witnesses or Facilitators.

Additionally, there is a Signature Room subforum where more of these types of questions might be answered if you dig around the top of the subforum. 

Actually, there is really only one way to have a comic book graded on the Signature Series label, and that is to have it witnessed by a CGC rep who ensures chain of custody from the singing to CGC for grading.  The Certificate Of Authenticity does not give CGC any guarantees on the signer of the book and as such is no help in trying to get a Signature Series label.  This witness rule is (as far as I've seen and experienced) no open to exceptions.  Which actually lends significant credibility to CGC graded books with Signature Series labels.

At best, you will get a Green Qualified label with a statement of something like "Name written on front cover in marker" if the book is graded high.  You could get a lower grade and be given the Blue Universal label.  I understand that you can request the book to be graded in the Universal label category and accept the lower grade, but I've not actually had that done, so I can not confirm.

I hope this helps you decide what to do.

DJ

1 minute ago, revat said:

absent a specific request by you, actually it will get the green qualified label.  Which means it will be graded in a fashion ignoring the signature entirely, but the label will be green.  Alternatively, you can choose that the comic receive the universal blue label where the signature is treated as a defect and graded accordingly.  It will not receive the yellow label.  The CGC SS yellow label is for signatures personally witnessed by CGC SS Witnesses or Facilitators.

Additionally, there is a Signature Room subforum where more of these types of questions might be answered if you dig around the top of the subforum. 

Looks like we posted replies at about the same time.  Thanks for adding the "request Universal Blue Label" clarification.  I've read in other posts that you may be able to ask about this, but never saw for sure if that kind of request would be honored.