• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Grade-No Grader's Notes
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Greetings Everyone. I was wondering if anyone would care to chime in on the lowest graded comic they received that did not have grader's notes.  I have an 8.0 modern (2017 Star Wars Action Figure variant) coming back (expect delivery next week) and I was very surprised to see this as I take super good care of all my books.  As far as I was concerned, when it left my house, it was easily a 9.6 if not a 9.8.  I was a little surprised that no grader's notes were made available as I've gotten notes for books with 9.4 grades.

I know I can call CGC to ask them about this and was wondering if anyone else has made this call to CGC (when graders' notes were not available) and what kind of response you received.

Thanks for the input!

DJ

49 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

An 8.0 with no grader notes is definitely odd. IIRC, I have seen people receive grader notes in lagged time. As in, they didn't see any notes when their order shipped back, but they could look them up sometime after delivery.

That's what I was hoping...either that or the "defect" will be very evident when it arrives (which will be very surprising to me considering what it looked like when I shipped it) as I'm not sure if there would be something written down and available when I call to inquire.  Definitely new territory for me.

Well (just in case anyone is interested), I did get the CGC Graded books back yesterday, and my book that was graded 8.0 without Graders Notes is well deserved...it looks like it was starting to be folded based on a crunch about 3/4 of the way down the spine.  HOWEVER (and I'm not blaming CGC, or the post office, as I have no idea what the box looked like when it was delivered) THAT "crunch" was not on the book when it left my place (or it would have stayed) and it was buried deep in a cardboard sandwich of seven other books (thick cardboard between each), and that "sandwich" was double wrapped in bubble wrap.

It is odd that this one did not receive graders notes.  I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I'd love to know what happened to it.  I may have to use it for a TV dinner food tray now.

Thanks for reading!

DJ

On 10/15/2019 at 3:01 PM, Donald Jack said:

Well (just in case anyone is interested), I did get the CGC Graded books back yesterday, and my book that was graded 8.0 without Graders Notes is well deserved...it looks like it was starting to be folded based on a crunch about 3/4 of the way down the spine.  HOWEVER (and I'm not blaming CGC, or the post office, as I have no idea what the box looked like when it was delivered) THAT "crunch" was not on the book when it left my place (or it would have stayed) and it was buried deep in a cardboard sandwich of seven other books (thick cardboard between each), and that "sandwich" was double wrapped in bubble wrap.

It is odd that this one did not receive graders notes.  I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I'd love to know what happened to it.  I may have to use it for a TV dinner food tray now.

Thanks for reading!

DJ

This same exact thing happened to me. I shipped an Immortal Hulk #2 that was in immaculate condition. When I received my grade it was an 8.5. The rest of my books in that submission graded between 9.6 and 9.8. Only the one book was somehow damaged. 

On 10/15/2019 at 4:01 PM, Donald Jack said:

Thanks for reading!

DJ

I would call and talk to someone at CGC I am sure they can rectify the problem specially if your positive and even have proof of the books condition before you shipped it. 

On 11/6/2019 at 2:17 PM, Krismusic said:

I would call and talk to someone at CGC I am sure they can rectify the problem specially if your positive and even have proof of the books condition before you shipped it. 

I'm hesitant to do that, as I know it's my word against anyone else, and I have no photographic proof.  Just that I would not send a newer book out damaged, for grading.  But thanks very much for some great advice!

On 10/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, Donald Jack said:

Greetings Everyone. I was wondering if anyone would care to chime in on the lowest graded comic they received that did not have grader's notes.  I have an 8.0 modern (2017 Star Wars Action Figure variant) coming back (expect delivery next week) and I was very surprised to see this as I take super good care of all my books.  As far as I was concerned, when it left my house, it was easily a 9.6 if not a 9.8.  I was a little surprised that no grader's notes were made available as I've gotten notes for books with 9.4 grades.

I know I can call CGC to ask them about this and was wondering if anyone else has made this call to CGC (when graders' notes were not available) and what kind of response you received.

Thanks for the input!

DJ

Good luck! I received 5 books 2 graded 9.4, 2 @9.6, 1@9.8.  No grader notes! Called, was told verbatim "Grader notes are not guaranteed."  I also expected higher, especially having had them pressed.

14 minutes ago, Donald Jack said:

I'm hesitant to do that, as I know it's my word against anyone else, and I have no photographic proof.  Just that I would not send a newer book out damaged, for grading.  But thanks very much for some great advice!

even if you dont have photographic evidence.. it doesn't hurt to talk to someone at CGC and explain the situation. Things happen all the time. 

Do you have pics of the book in the slab as some damage is sometimes evident of damage in shipping etc.. but again I would tell you to talk to CGC first before hoping someone on here can help you as CGC would be able to help much more in this case. 

On 10/15/2019 at 3:01 PM, Donald Jack said:

Thanks for reading!

DJ

Did you use Mylars before you shipped your books?

17 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Did you use Mylars before you shipped your books?

No, these were in standard comic book bag and boards.

19 hours ago, Krismusic said:

it doesn't hurt to talk to someone at CGC and explain the situation.

And you are right...I will probably call.  I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the lower grade books with no graders notes.  The damage was a little something extra (that I was not aware of on the send).  Definitely justifies the grade though.

49 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

A lot depends on the graders that saw the book...sometimes the situation dictates the need for speed...

Not exactly reassuring as an assessment. So Different graders give the differing grades which are used as a solid value for resaie?  The entire point of the grading system is consistent evaluation to determine condition and monetary value. 

On 10/15/2019 at 2:01 PM, Donald Jack said:

I may have to use it for a TV dinner food tray now

That's what I would do.  I wouldn't ask CGC about it, wouldn't expect them to be responsible for the damage.  If they had  damaged it they would have told you (I believe).  It probably happened in shipping. Just eat a cheeseburger on it.  Don't put it in the dishwasher. 

21 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Not exactly reassuring as an assessment. So Different graders give the differing grades which are used as a solid value for resaie?  The entire point of the grading system is consistent evaluation to determine condition and monetary value. 

I understand completely. 

But life really is like a box of chocolates...  

22 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

well some people grade/slab books for more than just the grade number, they do it for a resto check, to protect their books and CGC SS program.. 

I do it for protection of my precious books and the CGC SS program as well as resto checks although I am usually ok with some restoration. Dont like trimming much.. 

18 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

while I appreciate your sentiment,  I still cling to a notion that the grading would not be as irregular as it often seems to be particularly when it does apply to tradable value. 

from my experience the grading specially with flaws that are seen again and again are usually very on par with the grade given from what I have experienced looked at the in PGM book forum and real world and discussions on the forums from the examples I see most of the time CGC is very regular with their grading. they are also very experienced in production flaws such as bindery defects distribution spray and grade accordingly and consistently with those defects. 

People even know stains are hammered as well as pieces missing etc.. 

I would have to not agree with your statement about irregular grading.. 

and in my experience, based on simple observations on this board that people see irregular grading constantly, thereby lending to their perceptions that a book is a good candidate for having the case cracked for upgrade purposes.  At the same time, we regularly see comics being sold at auction that have the same grade yet the hammer price is dramatically different with the only explanations being that the presentation of the book  as better or worse than others was such that the bids tended to match that presentation.

Auction houses are in the business of auctioning books. They still get their fixed percentage whether the book grade is accurate or not. Buyer's fee, Seller's fee. Next! Got to sell sufficient volume or you are not cracking the monthly nut.