• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Grade-No Grader's Notes
2 2

22 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2019 at 11:39 AM, Glassman10 said:

and in my experience, based on simple observations on this board that people see irregular grading constantly, thereby lending to their perceptions that a book is a good candidate for having the case cracked for upgrade purposes.  At the same time, we regularly see comics being sold at auction that have the same grade yet the hammer price is dramatically different with the only explanations being that the presentation of the book  as better or worse than others was such that the bids tended to match that presentation.

Auction houses are in the business of auctioning books. They still get their fixed percentage whether the book grade is accurate or not. Buyer's fee, Seller's fee. Next! Got to sell sufficient volume or you are not cracking the monthly nut. 

Hello Glassman10,

just wanted to point to something about your statement, you do have to remember CGC grades thousands of books a year I believe they are probably at a few million graded book they had a stat about that... So remember this though when basing observation on a forum based discussion. that out of those million graded books you get a few people on here bringing up grading issues or what they think it should be or not be and usually its within a point grade.. so out of the other thousand books that have been graded and people haven't come on here to complain about their grade as its fairly consistent..

you are forgetting about the people not complain as why would they if they are happy or satisfied with the grade or the service.

I think CGC biggest problem is the newton ring issue which can lead to SCS if to loose.. so its a balancing game there.. and the TAT and shipping costs for international customers..  but that's just a business solution that I am sure they are working on improving but its not like they can grab random people to grade books etc.. as it needs a good eye and experience. 

where I have observed grading issues have been specific and some quite recent, particularly involving marvel chipping and how it gets dinged from book to book.  I think the more value a book can attain based on grade, the more sensitive the issue becomes. I've no doubt it's a big big business and CGC has figured a million ways to milk that particular cow but I've seen the company do hiring to catch up with demand and those people didn't necessarily go to comic grading school. The difference between a 4.5 and a 5.0 in the AF15 is clear. What gets interesting is the continual perception that a book may be a candidate for upgrade and subsequent value increase  and that is constant.  Right now, the buyers of that particular book seem to be putting out their money based on what they see rather than a stamp of assured value which isn't so assured.  I don't think it matters much in low value books  at all.